MATCHING ON FAMILY FINDER AND mtDNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATCHING ON FAMILY FINDER AND mtDNA

Just wondering if many people out there ever really get a match on FF and FMS? I know getting an actual FMS match is probably like striking gold.

If anyone has, how close of a relationship was shown with FF?

I still need FMS, but just curious as I have one match on FF, who also matches my HVR 1 and 2. I know it's probably not an exact match if I had my FMS, but it would be kind of cool if it is.

For me, that is the Holy Grail, in the sense that it would finally tell me where my direct maternal line is from, and also in the sense that it looks like I'll never find it.

I've even paid for other people, including an FMS match, to take the Family Finder test.

The number of Family Finder/23andMe and mtDNA matches I have is three. One is from the wrong part of Ireland, one is from Sweden and not Ireland at all, and one will not reply to repeated attempts to contact her.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

I had one match for FMS with a woman who lives in France.
      It turns out she was born in Ontario not far from where my mother was born.
      We compared family trees and found a woman in common. My 9th great grandmother . We were also able to trace her to a particular village in France.
      So suprizing enough it can happen.
      On the other hand I have 0 Y DNA matches despite being L21 a very common and well sampled subclade.

Comment

Originally posted by 1796 View Post
        Just wondering if many people out there ever really get a match on FF and FMS? I know getting an actual FMS match is probably like striking gold.

If anyone has, how close of a relationship was shown with FF?

I still need FMS, but just curious as I have one match on FF, who also matches my HVR 1 and 2. I know it's probably not an exact match if I had my FMS, but it would be kind of cool if it is.
        I have had 3 2nd cousins on FF. Two were on my mothers side and one on my fathers. That means we have a great grand parents in common. Am am adopted and finding 2nd cousins is very helpful and almost like finding gold. In all 3 cases we were able to trace back to my parents but to do that takes some detective work.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. Yes looking for my direct maternal line's origins has felt like looking for the Holy Grail too! Interesting J Honeychuck to have 3 matches in FMS and FF, and to have conflicting places of origins between them. I guess it just proves how much our ancestors moved around! One sister goes to Ireland, while the other goes to Sweden.

Brunetmj, very cool story! I just wasn't sure if your FMS match did FF too?

thormalen that is awesome to find so many close cousins for you. Did they match either your mtDNA or y-DNA as well?

Comment

I got one HVR1 + HVR2 with FF match recently. I got excited, but unfortunately the FF was on my father's side
            Last edited by briancowings; 7 September 2012, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Matches

For me : 130 FF matches, about 370 HVR 1, HVR II matches, 0 FGS
              Amongst all those, I have 3 confirmed. The closest is 3RD cousin 2x removed.
              This can be very frustrating sometimes, I admit. I liken it to a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with no picture to go by... It would be so much easier if everyone would include a GEDCOM, or at least 1 or 2 ancestral names, or even where they were born - any clues can be helpful ! I too have had alot of people who won't email me back

Comment

I have 2nd cousins who who I have never met who don't reply to my emails.
                I could understand if they had no interest in all this, but they are as they have trees on Ancestry

Originally posted by SCnMD View Post
                I too have had alot of people who won't email me back

Comment

Originally posted by briancowings View Post
                  I have 2nd cousins who who I have never met who don't reply to my emails.
                  I could understand if they had no interest in all this, but they are as they have trees on Ancestry

Comment

Whoops- timed out, sorry Brian
                    What I was going to say is; maybe we are on the "wrong side" of their tree. I know that as far as my matches are concerned, its ok to find matches on any side , but what I am really looking for, is my mother's mother's side which I know nothing about. This was why I initally started testing at FTDNA -

Comment

Originally posted by 1796 View Post
                      Thank you all for your answers. Yes looking for my direct maternal line's origins has felt like looking for the Holy Grail too! Interesting J Honeychuck to have 3 matches in FMS and FF, and to have conflicting places of origins between them. I guess it just proves how much our ancestors moved around! One sister goes to Ireland, while the other goes to Sweden.

Brunetmj, very cool story! I just wasn't sure if your FMS match did FF too?

thormalen that is awesome to find so many close cousins for you. Did they match either your mtDNA or y-DNA as well?
                      Yes it was very neat. The Mt haplogroup was H. They and I have great grand parents in common. I had my mother's name from an adoption search. So that was easy to see the relationship. The father's side was a female 2 nd cousin whose father was a Graham. Most of my 67 marker matchs are with Grahams and I have a 104 marker match with a Graham. She was a very strong shared CM of 229 and a LB of 105.4. She was almost twice the Mt 2nd cousins. Working together we came up with my father. My Y haplogroup is J1c3d. Fun and interesting stuff this DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by thormalen View Post
                        Yes it was very neat. The Mt haplogroup was H. They and I have great grand parents in common. I had my mother's name from an adoption search. So that was easy to see the relationship. The father's side was a female 2 nd cousin whose father was a Graham. Most of my 67 marker matchs are with Grahams and I have a 104 marker match with a Graham. She was a very strong shared CM of 229 and a LB of 105.4. She was almost twice the Mt 2nd cousins. Working together we came up with my father. My Y haplogroup is J1c3d. Fun and interesting stuff this DNA.
                        Congratulations! That is really cool, I'm very happy for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X