New & 1st question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New & 1st question

I recently tested my aunt-still waiting on the mtDNA. The Family Finder matches were interesting to say the least.

The question I have as a "beginner" (but doing my genealogy for over 35 years) is this: The first match is a person indicated as 2nd-4th cousin, most likely 3rd. The shared cM =94.08 and the longest block is 24.53. The surname is very relevant but no one in this very large generational family has even heard of this person. A tree is not indicated for him and I am hoping he responds to my email. If he is NOT known there is the small tiniest chance that maybe he is related somehow to the mystery patriarch (same surname!) that died in 1918 at almost 100 yrs of age. (I can hope, can't I?). (I will be testing 2 grandsons of the mystery patriarch as soon as I raise the funds to do so to gather more information).

The next nearest match has a cM much much lower and stiil rated a 3rd cousin but no other info is offered.

Is a cM of 94 a low number or ? Is it the higher you go, the more genetically related or does it also depend on the block length?

Thanks, I have read all that I can find but the DNA field is new to my research. I have a background in biology but it has been years since I took genetics!!

Block length is generally more important, but 94cM is a significant share which should not be ignored.

Note that the point of contact is not necessarily the person tested, just the person arranging the test.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TMontes View Post
      Is a cM of 94 a low number or ? Is it the higher you go, the more genetically related or does it also depend on the block length?
      Total sharing (cM) is important and segment sizes >10cM are important but total number of shared segments is also important. You can get a more complete picture of your sharing with your match by comparing in Chromosome Browser where you can set segment size parameters.

The fact you share so much with a person sharing a surname is very exciting.
      Last edited by tomcat; 4 September 2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Yes-VERY EXCITING but if the contact doesn't respond, very depressing!!! This patriarch came to California from Mexico in 1860, married a Californio girl (he was 43 and she was abt 14, returned w family to northern Sonora in abt 1879, had my great grandmother (baptized at Caborca, Son.), returned to Los Angeles by 1883, and died in Bakersfield, Calif., in 1918. 4 of his children were alive in 1900 and the 2 sons' families pretty much remained in the Bakersfield area. 2 of his grandsons I will do family finder and y on as soon as I can fund it.

I have the names of his parents-the father a soldier at the presidio in what is now southern AZ & northern Sonora-but have had no luck finding anyone related to him or even his parents. No siblings, no cousins.....

I do hope this best match w surname responds.

Comment

For TomCat

When you mention chromosome matching should I wait for the mtDNA result before I do that and is it something I can do being new at this?

Comment

When you mention chromosome matching should I wait for the mtDNA result before I do that and is it something I can do being new at this?
            Under the family finder menu item, there's an option for chromosome browser. When that comes up, you can look for your match and select them. The image on the right of your chromosomes (dark blue) will have the points where they match you overlaid in another colour.

Comment

I recently tested my aunt-still waiting on the mtDNA. The Family Finder matches were interesting to say the least.

The question I have as a "beginner" (but doing my genealogy for over 35 years) is this: The first match is a person indicated as 2nd-4th cousin, most likely 3rd. The shared cM =94.08 and the longest block is 24.53.
              Some people will have characteristics in their ancestry where a 3rd cousin ends up being more like a 6th or 7th cousin. My suggestion is to consider this could be your case too. I'm not saying it is but it doesn't hurt to consider it.

Comment

No need to wait but when you get the mtDNA you can look for mtDNA matches as well.

Chromosome Browser allows you to compare multiple users to your sample so you can see if any of the others match one another on the same segments as they match your sample ... if you find three or more users matching on one or more segments you may be able to triangulate among genealogies to determine on which of your lineages they descend from ...

Comment

The question I have as a "beginner" (but doing my genealogy for over 35 years) is this: The first match is a person indicated as 2nd-4th cousin, most likely 3rd. The shared cM =94.08 and the longest block is 24.53. The surname is very relevant but no one in this very large generational family has even heard of this person. A tree is not indicated for him and I am hoping he responds to my email. If he is NOT known there is the small tiniest chance that maybe he is related somehow to the mystery patriarch (same surname!) that died in 1918 at almost 100 yrs of age. (I can hope, can't I?). (I will be testing 2 grandsons of the mystery patriarch as soon as I raise the funds to do so to gather more information).

The next nearest match has a cM much much lower and stiil rated a 3rd cousin but no other info is offered.

Thanks, I have read all that I can find but the DNA field is new to my research. I have a background in biology but it has been years since I took genetics!!
                  My uncle's closest match to date outside our known family has around same cm as you with his match and shares DNA on 6 different chromosomes. Predicted 2-3rd cousin. How many chromosomes does your DNA match with this person?

My uncle's 2-3 cousin match, I had someone read this match and no doubt he is a closer cousin match or we share many distant ancestors making that match appear closer.

Comment

Working...
                  X