Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian ancestors - Can DNA help? A Royal connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tseb View Post
    Thank you all so much for the replies. I have bought a Family Finder kit (before the last few posts, so I didn't order another test as well). I hope it will arrive soon so I can go to visit my uncle... I phoned yesterday, and his wife says I may use his DNA, I will have to try for a good day when he is somewhat 'compos mentis' so he can sign the paperwork too!

Is it possible to pay a fee and also have the ff results in the 23andMe database to see how many hits there are there too? Are the two systems compatible?

Thanks

T.
    Congratulations! That's great. If you're interested in the health info, I'd use the FF for your uncle and order 23 for yourself and then upload your results here. If the medical info's not important to you, then I'd order another FF.

Comment

So, which company would be more recommended for what I am trying to achieve? FTD or a competitor? Who has the biggest database for this? And with the competitors, which of their products is comparable with Family Finder?

Thanks

T.
      23&Me has the larger db but MOST of the 23&Me users are unresponsive to inquiries. FTDNA has a smaller db but MANY of the users are responsive. 23&Me's v3 is largely compatible with FF and FTDNA has allowed 23&Me v3 users to open accounts with 23&Me v3 data. That accommodation is not two-way, so, if you did 23&Me you could also avail yourself of the FF db but if you did FF you could use your FF data on 23andMe.

Ancestry has a large reference db based on data collected by the Sorenson Molecular Genetics Foundation but I don't know how responsive their users are to inquiries. The only other game in town is National Geographic's Genographic Project 2.0, but their focus is deep ancestry rather than genealogy so, at best, their data would only be partially compatible with that of other providers. They have announced no plans to allow data import but have promised that comparisons and communications between users may be a future feature.

The only workaround are various independent projects such as Eurogenes, the Harappa Project, GEDMatch etc. but you would have to consult the project admins as to data compatibilities.

(Google "23andYou" for a list if indie projects).

Comment

Is it possible to pay a fee and also have the ff results in the 23andMe database to see how many hits there are there too? Are the two systems compatible?

Thanks

T.
        There are other sites that you can transfer the results to and compare with other people from 23andme - gedmatch.com is the one I use. So you can (hopefully) get a spread of matches from multiple companies.

If you're amenable, I'd love to hear how this story goes when you get the results back

Comment

Thank you again for all the responses...

I will let you all know how things go.

Best wishes,

T.

Comment

It's true that FTDNA users tend to be more responsive but if you have ten times as many matches at 23andMe you only need 1/10th the response rate to have the same number of leads as here.

If you have the money there is no reason not to test at multiple places. In fact there is every reason to do so if you're trying to solve some sort of mystery or track down possible relatives.

I have two significant mysteries myself and testing at three different sites has failed to solve either of them though I have gotten some tantelizing clues. It's just smart to cast your net as wide as you can afford to.

Comment

Y DNA goes father to son..do not think this will help you here.

Comment

Working...
              X