Adoptee DNA Sucess Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoptee DNA Sucess Stories

Do we have any DNA/Adoptee success stories out there? My story was indirectly a DNA success story.

I was adopted at birth, the paperwork was completed 2

Message chopping

Do we have any DNA/Adoptee success stories out there? My story was indirectly a DNA success story.
    I was adopted at birth, the paperwork was completed 2 months prior to my birth. My birth certificate was issued in the names of my adoptive parents. They were a good family and they will forever be my parents. Eight months after I was born, they had a natural child (daughter) and we were raised as a two child family.
    At about age 5 years, I was told that I had been adopted and that my parents had no information regarding the identity of my biological parents other than geographical heritage. My bio-mother was said to be English/Irish and my bio-father was said to be German. While I often wondered about their identity, I never made any real effort to locate or identify them.
    Fast-forward 59 years and I received a letter from a woman who claimed to be my half-sister. She had information regarding my date of birth, City of birth, Hospital of birth and the name of my adoptive parents. She said that her mother had told her from the time she was able to understand, that she had a brother that had been put up for adoption. Her mother had provided her with the particulars of my birth. Based on the information that she had it was evident that she was in-fact my half-sister.
    Suddenly I found that I was the oldest living sibling of a brood of 9. There were definite physical resemblances and I was welcomed into the extended family.
    Since then I have become fairly close with the two sisters that are the nearest to my age and I have not met two of my half brothers. My bio-mother passed away two years before I was located.
    A couple of months ago I convinced my next oldest sister to take a Family Finder test. The purpose was not verification, but rather so that I could determine which of my DNA cousins might be on my paternal side.
    When the results returned (2 years and 2 days after my first contact with my biological family) I was in for a surprise. When I looked at her FF results it confirmed our half-sibling relationship with a shared cM of 1755 and a longest block of 105.31.
    I think that all of my biological half-siblings acknowledged my relationship, but these results will definitely eliminate all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
      When I looked at her FF results it confirmed our half-sibling relationship with a shared cM of 1755 and a longest block of 105.31.
      I think that all of my biological half-siblings acknowledged my relationship, but these results will definitely eliminate all doubt.
      I also asked my half-brother to test so I could separate mother's side from father's side matches. When I first looked at the shared segments on the Chromosome Browser, I thought something was wrong - I had never seen it light up like that. Well, duh. This is what a CLOSE relative looks like.

1740.74 Total cM 104.68 Longest Block

Comment

Gaye, surprising isn't it after looking at all of those matches with 1 or 2 small blocks? I just ordered another FF kit for a second half-sister and the third is considering taking the test.

Comment

I just got my adoptive sister's results. She's a bio child of my adoptive parents. She's also a 5th to remote cousin to me and a 4th cousin to my half-brother.

The joys of being Ashkenazi.

I'm also related to at least three adoptees I know as well as most of Bennett Greenspan's tested family members.

Comment

Working...
          X