X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers to all!

Finally we have a place of our own to share...thanks to familytreedna.com

A couple of questions to start this off is:

Which is the best adoption search company to use and why? What are the pros and cons and costs, how long to wait for results?? Some people are worried about being scammed. Has that situation happened to anyone on here as yet?

I/we will look forward to your answers and comments

TGIF, have a great one and hurry back

I was lucky and able to find my birthmother without using any company. I'm lucky to live in NYC and they have a birth index that lists the names on the original birth certificates. I was also lucky that my birth name was an unusual one and I was the only one born with that name that year.

I know of 2 companies that some people use- Kinsolving Investigations and Pamela Slaton. I was thinking of using Pam Slaton before I found my birthmother on my own. I think she charges about $2,000 to $2,500, but even if she finds an obituary, you will have to pay. I think if she doesn't find anything at all, you won't have to pay. I haven't used her personally, so I'm not sure.

There are a lot of search angels who will help you look for free. You can join the Yahoo group NYAdoptees and they will help you even if you don't live in NY. On facebook you can look for Adoption Central and they have search angels too.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMommy View Post
      I was lucky and able to find my birthmother without using any company. I'm lucky to live in NYC and they have a birth index that lists the names on the original birth certificates. I was also lucky that my birth name was an unusual one and I was the only one born with that name that year.

I know of 2 companies that some people use- Kinsolving Investigations and Pamela Slaton. I was thinking of using Pam Slaton before I found my birthmother on my own. I think she charges about $2,000 to $2,500, but even if she finds an obituary, you will have to pay. I think if she doesn't find anything at all, you won't have to pay. I haven't used her personally, so I'm not sure.

There are a lot of search angels who will help you look for free. You can join the Yahoo group NYAdoptees and they will help you even if you don't live in NY. On facebook you can look for Adoption Central and they have search angels too.
      In general, the pay search companies cannot do anything that a experienced search angel can't do for you, and many of them help adoptees and birth family searching for free. There are a lot of wonderful sites out there where you can register your search. You should also make sure you register with ISRR.net (International Soundex Reunion Registry), and the adoptee/birth family reunion registry in the state were you were born/adopted. You also need to get your non-identifying information from the state or the agency who handled your adoption. I can list a lot of resources later as it is late now. In my opinion, a pay search company should be a last resort as there are many things you can do yourself, and it is rewarding when you take control of your own search.

Judy

Comment

Search Angel

Please send me a private message on here. I want to help you before you spend that kind of money!
        Hugs,
        Ila

Comment

Working...
        X