Adoptee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoptee

I know my birthmother's information. I am trying to use FTDNA to confirm out of several men who my father may be. Help, suggestions....

Adoptee

I would first review this over posted on the ISOGG website and then you can think about more YDNA options.

http://www.isogg.org/adoption.htm

Comment

Thank You

I am a female, can I test for YDNA? Also, I noticed most all who are on this site have:
      Your Example: FtDNA R-L21** (L21+ M37- M222- P66- L69- L130- L144- L159.2- L192- L193- L195- L226- L96- P314.2-)
      Haplogroup: FtDna R1b1b2a1b5
      ISOGG new 3/09 R1b1b2a1a2f (old-R1b1b2a1b6)

Ysearch User ID: G47VV (FtDNA Markers)
      Mitosearch User ID: FWS3K H11a2

What does all of this stand for?
      Last edited by bussie; 9 September 2011, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bussie View Post
        I am a female, can I test for YDNA? Also, I noticed most all who are on this site have:
        Your Example: FtDNA R-L21** (L21+ M37- M222- P66- L69- L130- L144- L159.2- L192- L193- L195- L226- L96- P314.2-)
        Haplogroup: FtDNA R1b1b2a1b5

Sorry, but if you have never been exposed to all the various DNA subjects, you have a little learning curve to overcome.

The designations you posted is my YDNA Haplogroup (L21) short form description and the SNP's that I have tested positive or negative for based on the YDNA Tree. The short version are discover SNPs, they are named for the research lab and the order in which they are found.

The Tree branch points have the long form version of SNP naming is done by FtDNA and ISOGG, which is a society is a non-commercial non-profit organization and they each create their own version of the long form name of haplogroups and subclades using alternating numbers and letters

To allow people that have tested with the different companies to make their YDNA and mtDNA results available for comparison via a free public service that Family Tree DNA offers.

Ok, here is the basic overview that you can look at.

http://www.familytreedna.com/understanding-dna.aspxd

http://www.familytreedna.com/snps-r-us.aspx

http://www.familytreedna.com/glossary.aspx

MJost

Comment

No, I don't think that you as a female can test for YDNA, but I'm kind of new to this too and might be wrong.

I'm in the same boat as you. Found my birthmother and am trying to find clues to my birthfather, but no luck so far. Most of my matches are probably on my mother's side since they match her ethnicity.

Good luck and I'm sure more people will be along with suggestions.

Comment

I am a female, can I test for YDNA?
            Females have two "X" chromosomes whereas males have a "Y" and an "X" chromosome. Males can test the DNA of their Y chromosome to determine their unbroken male heritage.

As a female you do not have the Y chromosome to test.

Comment

Welcome

I know my birthmother's information. I am trying to use FTDNA to confirm out of several men who my father may be. Help, suggestions....
              Most of us were where you are now. If you have some paternal candidates (one friend of mine referred to them as "contestants") then you need to gather as much information on each of them as possible. If you can put together family trees for them, even better. You will also need to put together a good family tree for your mother.

The only test that is going to help you is Family Finder. Do it now or do it during a sale. You will be waiting several weeks for your results and your first batch of matches. The way that most non-adoptees work it is to find surnames/places in common with their closer matches and compare trees to find a common ancestral couple. That's the theory. Reality is quite different.

Once you get a batch of cousin matches there are several ways to sort them out depending on your computer skills (some people here can help with that too) and your ethnicity. Some ethnicities are more represented than others. Some ethnicities are more endogamous (marrying within their group) than others. This affects the matches you get, what information they have and how to approach the problem.

There are some third party sites that will give you clues to ethnicity or additional matches once you have tested with Family Finder. A lot of this stuff is cutting edge and experimental so even the experts don't have all the answers. It can only get better. We are approaching critical mass and I'm seeing more people making connections - some of them are even adoptees.

Gaye

Comment

Haplogroup: FtDna R1b1b2a1b5

The information above has to do with deep ancestry - your ancestors of hundreds to thousands of years ago. Until Family Finder, this was the only testing available. Briefly -

YDNA tests a male's strict paternal line (father's father's father's father's father's ... father) Male adoptees use it because YDNA is passed father to son just as surnames are (usually). This will give a male adoptee a chance of finding out his father's surname. This will also give some clues as to ethnicity - with a big caveat. It's only ONE line of hundreds. Many male descendants of African-American slaves have very European Y-DNA.

mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA) is passed from mother to child (both sexes) but a male child will not pass it to his children, they will get their mtDNA from their mother. This tests the strict maternal line ... one's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's ... mother. Also good for ethnicity - with the same caveat as above.

When one tests Y-DNA or mtDNA, you are assigned to a Haplogroup - people of the same genetic line. Some haplogroups are rare and others are 40% of Europe. Where the haplogroup is very common (H for mtDNA and R for Y-DNA) a lot of research has gone into subdividing the group further. This is what "H11a2" means: Haplogroup H, subclade H11a2. R1b, for example, has been subdivided so many times that people now use a shorthand ("R-L22") rather than the longer "R1b1b2a1b5". As research sorts through it all, some groups have been renamed or rearranged. The long list of Ls and Ms are the different key markers that were tested for. A "-" means the person tested negative for that marker and a "+" means they tested positive. The shorthand Y-DNA group name has to do with the "last" marker the person tested positive for. Some people use that info to see how "close" they are or to suggest new studies or published research they might want to look into.

PF stands for the "Population Finder" admixture test which comes with doing the Family Finder test. Dr. McDonald also runs an admixture test as does Dodecad. This is MAJOR cutting edge stuff. Each month it gets better. Since it's experimental, it is all FREE for now. But you need your Family Finder results first.

Hope that helps, Gaye

Comment

Working...
                X