• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prairielad
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by KATM View Post

To be sure I understand, you are saying that your mother and her sister both inherited their father's X, which is not recombined, and then your mother passed this same unrecombined paternal X chromosome to your sister, so that she matches her maternal aunt on the same full X (as well as her mother). It is a paternal X that has been passed down intact, which came from your mother's father to her and her sister (your maternal aunt), as the father got it from his mother.

I got a bit confused when you said "My sister and my maternal aunt share along the full length of X, due to how recombination happened when my sister inherited random mixture of our mothers maternal X (same segment that is shared with aunt)," since that does not seem likely to be "the full length of X" chromosome that your mother and aunt (and sister) all match completely. The rest of the sentence was clear.

I have done extensive phasing of my families results.
    I have tested myself and 5 siblings, my father and 3 of his full siblings, my mother and 3 of her full siblings, my fathers paternal 1st cousin (son of my Grandfathers brother) and my fathers paternal 1C1R (Granddaughter of my Grandfathers sister)

Following picture depicts my families X Chromosome inheritance. (does not show my sisters paternal X, images is only show our maternal X inheritance)
    My mother and her sister match along their entire paternal X (same father), as well they match along a segment of their maternal X.
    My sister (sibling 1) shows full matching to this sister of our mother, not due to inheriting my mothers full paternal X, but due to how my mothers two X's recombined to form a single maternal X to my sister.
    My sister just happened to inherit a segment of my mothers maternal X which my mother also shares with her sister (my Aunt), the rest of my sisters X is from my mothers paternal X.
    Thus it "looks" like my sister is sharing a full X with our aunt, but my sisters single X is matching my Aunts paternal X for some segments and matching my Aunts maternal X for the other segments.

Note my sister 4 and 6 on image are full base pair matching along their entire X, each inherited my mothers full maternal Chromosome.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Biblioteque
      FTDNA Customer - mtDNA - U3a1b
      • Feb 2013

TexasYaYa, At Gedmatch, the 3 kits of Liz and Randol do NOT match your half sister, Tricia. If you do a one-to-one autosomally at GEDmatch that will be proven. Liz and Randol are from your mother's side. Tricia is from your father's side.
      Last edited by Biblioteque; 21 September 2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• KATM
        mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
        • Nov 2012

prairielad, thank you very much for your detailed explanation and the X chromosome illustration so I and others could understand. I have done similar testing with my family, but unfortunately my mother never did DNA testing before she died.

While you have more of your relatives tested than I, I do have four close relatives tested on my father's side. I have myself and my five siblings tested. On my mother's side, I have three close relatives tested. There are also two known maternal second cousins to me (from "the old country") tested at MyHeritage, and various other second and other cousins who have tested at other companies, all of which I can use with DNA Painter, at least.

I have not yet done any Visual Phasing with these kits, though, so your example is very interesting to me. I hope I can do more analysis as you've done.

Comment

• Biblioteque
          FTDNA Customer - mtDNA - U3a1b
          • Feb 2013

prarielad, yes, many thanks for your comprehensive analyses and your sharing. You are always appreciated.

So you are saying when we look at an X, generally speaking, we do not know whether the X, or portions thereof, came from the maternal, or the paternal side, unless it has been phased?
          Last edited by Biblioteque; 22 September 2019, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• TexasYaYa
            FTDNA Customer
            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
            TexasYaYa, At Gedmatch, the 3 kits of Liz and Randol do NOT match your half sister, Tricia. If you do a one-to-one autosomally at GEDmatch that will be proven. Liz and Randol are from your mother's side. Tricia is from your father's side.
            Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was really about to go bonkers ​​​​ I feel for Liz because she keeps hitting brick walls. We think one of my mom’s got pregnant out of wedlock and that’s where she comes in.

Comment

• raspchide
              FTDNA Customer
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Emona View Post
              Thanks for this!

Comment

Working...
              X