1/2 siblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 siblings

Yesterday I got an email from a lady on ancestry site that we were a 100% match. I rarely ever get in their and look at new relatives. Sure enough it shows 100% and says it is either
    grandchild/grandparent - impossible we are 5 years apart
    aunt/uncle niece/ nephew - again impossible because she has no biological siblings and my brother would have been 9 when she was born
    the other option is 1/2 sibling
    She was put up for adoption in Texas at Edna Gladney home in Ft. Worth, 2 hours from where we lived. She didn’t show up as a match for my mom or any of her family. Which leads me to believe one of two theories. My dad was 29 and had a fling with a 17 year old. Or my dads sister gave a baby up and she is actually my first cousin. I don’t know how any of this works, but if we are sisters I want to know and obviously she does since she doesn’t have any blood family to her knowledge. Her adopted parents are both deceased and she has very little information. Anyone that can give me insight as to my theories and what our next move should be (DNA sibling testing) would be much appreciated. If I posted in the wrong forum I apologize.

ETA: our match is 1930

Ancestry doesn't show match results by percentage, so I'm not sure where you see the 100% figure. Since you have the amount of shared DNA in cM (1930), you can also use the Shared cM Project Tool at the DNA Painter website to get an idea of possible relationships. For 1930 cM, the results show: Grandparent, Aunt / Uncle, Half Sibling, Niece / Nephew, and Grandchild. You've eliminated the Grandparent, niece/nephew, and presumably grandchild options. As you've proposed, the match might be a niece, in addition to the half sibling possibility.

On the DNA Detectives Autosomal Statistics Chart, the 1930 cM amount falls into "Group B," which is Half sibling, Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/, Double First Cousin, and Grandparent/Grandchild. This adds the "Double First Cousin" category for consideration, along with half sibling. Note: this match may not be aware of any biological siblings, but she could have them. If so, they may not have done a DNA test at Ancestry (or elsewhere if she's tested at other places).

If you think there's a possibility that you might be half siblings or double first cousins, you could both upload your DNA files to GEDmatch, compare the kits using the One-to-One Comparison Tool, and see if you share any Fully Identical Regions (FIR). ISOGG has a page for Fully Identical Region which shows examples of what matching looks like for full siblings, and one for double first cousins. Half siblings won't share any Fully Identical Regions. The DNA Geek has a post about how "AncestryDNA Is Using FIRs to Distinguish Full and Half Siblings." Does Ancestry show this match in your match list as "Close Family?"

Things don't look very well for getting adoptee information in Texas, but perhaps your match can try to get a court order. Has she tried using a search angel, or for DNA, the DNAadoption website? The fact that your family lived near Fort Worth (2 hours) may be a clue.
    Last edited by KATM; 19th September 2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      Ancestry doesn't show match results by percentage, so I'm not sure where you see the 100% figure. Since you have the amount of shared DNA in cM (1930), you can also use the Shared cM Project Tool at the DNA Painter website to get an idea of possible relationships. For 1930 cM, the results show: Grandparent, Aunt / Uncle, Half Sibling, Niece / Nephew, and Grandchild. You've eliminated the Grandparent, niece/nephew, and presumably grandchild options. As you've proposed, the match might be a niece, in addition to the half sibling possibility.

On the DNA Detectives Autosomal Statistics Chart, the 1930 cM amount falls into "Group B," which is Half sibling, Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/, Double First Cousin, and Grandparent/Grandchild. This adds the "Double First Cousin" category for consideration, along with half sibling. Note: this match may not be aware of any biological siblings, but she could have them. If so, they may not have done a DNA test at Ancestry (or elsewhere if she's tested at other places).

If you think there's a possibility that you might be half siblings or double first cousins, you could both upload your DNA files to GEDmatch, compare the kits using the One-to-One Comparison Tool, and see if you share any Fully Identical Regions (FIR). ISOGG has a page for Fully Identical Region which shows examples of what matching looks like for full siblings, and one for double first cousins. Half siblings won't share any Fully Identical Regions. The DNA Geek has a post about how "AncestryDNA Is Using FIRs to Distinguish Full and Half Siblings." Does Ancestry show this match in your match list as "Close Family?"

Things don't look very well for getting adoptee information in Texas, but perhaps your match can try to get a court order. Has she tried using a search angel, or for DNA, the DNAadoption website? The fact that your family lived near Fort Worth (2 hours) may be a clue.
      Thanks for all the information. It all sounds a little too confusing for me to do. How accurate are DNA sibling tests? I’m willing to pay for us to have that done. I’ll give her the information about the search angel and the DNA adoption website.

Comment

As KATM said, the two of you should upload to GEDmatch. It takes about 10 minutes, and there should be a tutorial there walking you through it.

Leah Larkin, thednageek, says that at GEDmatch, you should do a one-to-one comparison on the X, which is chromosome 23. If the two of you are half-sisters with the same father, you both should match along the ENTIRE length of the X (a little bit missing at the edges is normal).

Upload today, then it takes a day or two to process, maybe less; and you can have your results tomorrow, or this week-end. And it is FREE.

Good luck! Let us know.
        Last edited by Biblioteque; 19th September 2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
          As KATM said, the two of you should upload to GEDmatch. It takes about 10 minutes, and there should be a tutorial there walking you through it.

Leah Larkin, thednageek, says that at GEDmatch, you should do a one-to-one comparison on the X, which is chromosome 23. If the two of you are half-sisters with the same father, you both should match along the ENTIRE length of the X (a little bit missing at the edges is normal).

Upload today, then it takes a day or two to process, maybe less; and you can have your results tomorrow, or this week-end. And it is FREE.

Good luck! Let us know.
          Will ancestry have what we need to upload to GEDmatch? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just don’t understand all of this.

Comment

Yes, Ancestry will have the raw data for you and your match to access. Just google, GEDmatch. There is a link at GEDmatch for a YouTube video to show you how to upload; and you will see where to register. When they give you your kit #, please remember to jot it down. You will need that to access your account.

Your match has to be willing to upload her own data to GEDmatch. You are not in a position to do that. Another name for GEDmatch is GEDmatch Genesis, but you can get what you want by googling GEDmatch.

It is worth trying to do; and is a good mental exercise. Easier than you think.

We understand; and everyone is happy to try to help you.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 19th September 2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

How to download the data from ancestry? Instructions are here::

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ults-ancestry/

Good luck.

Comment

Yes, Ancestry will have the raw data for you and your match to access. Just google, GEDmatch. There is a link at GEDmatch for a YouTube video to show you how to upload; and you will see where to register. When they give you your kit #, please remember to jot it down. You will need that to access your account.

Your match has to be willing to upload her own data to GEDmatch. You are not in a position to do that. Another name for GEDmatch is GEDmatch Genesis, but you can get what you want by googling GEDmatch.

It is worth trying to do; and is a good mental exercise. Easier than you think.

We understand; and everyone is happy to try to help you.
                Oh my thank you all for your help. We managed to get both of ours uploaded and now we wait.... will it give results in “laymen’s terms” or will I need another college degree for that. Hehe

Comment

I just remembered that although time may be involved in your match list tokenizing (ready for access), I think as soon as you have your kit #s, you can use the one-to-one X Comparison, meaning NOW. You should be good to go!

Under heading: DNA Application, click on One-to-one X-DNA Comparison, click Submit.

When your match list is ready, click on One-to-many Dna Comparison Result. Enter your kit #. Click on Display Results. You could have ~3,000 matches.

Please let us know if she is your half sis.

Comment

I just remembered that although time may be involved in your match list tokenizing (ready for access), I think as soon as you have your kit #s, you can use the one-to-one X Comparison, meaning NOW. You should be good to go!

Under heading: DNA Application, click on One-to-one X-DNA Comparison, click Submit.

When your match list is ready, click on One-to-many Dna Comparison Result. Enter your kit #. Click on Display Results. You could have ~3,000 matches.

Please let us know if she is your half sis.
                    I have my results but even after the you tube video don’t know how to interpret them. I can post the number here or upload the picture, if I can figure out how to do that. Again thank you SO much for your help in this.

Comment

At present, we are only concerned with your doing a one-to-one comparison on the X to see if you and your match have a match along the entire X which will mean you are half sisters.

Under heading: DNA Application, click on One-to-One X Comparison. Type in your kit # and the kit # of your match for comparison. Then click Submit, and your comparison will pop up.

You can also give us the two kit #s here, or private message me with the kit #s, and I will do this for you;.

Comment

Okay, to see a graphic of the X Chromo, you need to change one setting after you put in the kit numbers, and before you click Submit.

The default is: Graphics and Positions.

Change this to: Graphics Only.

Comment

At present, we are only concerned with your doing a one-to-one comparison on the X to see if you and your match have a match along the entire X which will mean you are half sisters.

Under heading: DNA Application, click on One-to-One X Comparison. Type in your kit # and the kit # of your match for comparison. Then click Submit, and your comparison will pop up.

You can also give us the two kit #s here, or private message me with the kit #s, and I will do this for you;.
                          PM sent. I can pay you for your time.

Comment

I can not accept pay. I am only a hobbyist; and everything I know, I learned here at this Forum. Your payment is to "pay it forward" and help someone else in the future.

I will read your PM and respond. From here, I think everything is above my "area of expertise." LOL

I will refer you to 2 gualified people for further clarification, all of whom will, at a minimum, give you a "quick consult for a small fee." Nobody gets rich in this business.
                            Last edited by Biblioteque; 20th September 2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I have emailed you everything you need. You match along 99% (rounded off) of the X Chromosome. Please let us know how everything works out.

At GEDmatch, your full results have been tozenized/processed and are ready; they had a quick turnaround. Your top match is your half sister.
                              Last edited by Biblioteque; 20th September 2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X