Need expert help with dna info to find birth grandfather tested 3 sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need expert help with dna info to find birth grandfather tested 3 sites

Totally gutted. Thought I knew 99%sure who my father’s father was through testing & elimination after locating birth mother & 1/2 brother. He even looks like family & my brother looks like a twin to some of the cousins! We lived on the same street... but I have not matched one person on his side of the family in any of the 3 sites of testing but have all of these mystery 3rd & 4th cousins that do not match anyone on my tree & one possible 2nd cousin that we cannot find any connection to. Finally his supposed 1st cousin (his supposed birth dad’s brother’s child) tested & contacted me to say she thinks she found a sister to my dad (this guy was prolific) as she matches her at that level & wants to visit. But I don’t match either of them & neither does my nephew (my brother’s child). So clearly we are not related. We thought my dad was the child of this man & his 1/2 brother the son of someone else but it turns out more like the opposite. But I cannot make sense of any of the matches I have. I do know my brother did a Y-Dna test & we matched an entire clan of an EDDY family that tested & traced their line to the Vicar of Cranbrook Eddy so we are related to him on the Male line somehow (the entire Eddy family tested - like 100’s of males so I guess I can say that with some certainty). None of 3rd or 4th cousins are Eddy’s but I do match some on Ftdna further down the line as 5th cousin & beyond along the vicar of Cranbrook lineage with several people.

I need help figuring out these matches. I am not stupid & was able to figure out his birth mom & have done genealogy for years but I am stumped & I don’t know where to begin. Can anyone offer assistance??

Thanks!
    Amybeth

Please just talk about this site and those who have done FamilyFinder here, for a moment.
    Have you taken the FamilyFinder test here?
    Has your brother done the FamilyFinder test here?
    ------------If yes, Does FTDNA show you two as full siblings?

Have your parents done FamilyFinder here? If not, are they still alive?

re: "his supposed 1st cousin" -- are you talking about a 1st cousin of your (supposed) father's father -- or??

actually, backing up -- " Thought I knew 99%sure who my father’s father was through testing & elimination after locating birth mother & 1/2 brother. "
    your birth mother ? your father's birth mother? birth mother of your father' father?
    and, in addition to that - has she done FamilyFinder at FTDNA?
    similar questions re: 1/2 brother

Comment

Just saw your response. My brother is my full brother. He did Y-dna testing at Ancestry & it was transferred here. I have done autosomal testing on myself here, at Ancestry & 23& me. My father’s half brother has the same mother- different father bc Y-dna is different. And yes my brother is my father’s son.

I actually figured out who his birth father was with the help of 2nd cousin match on Ancestry. The Y-Dna matches had 50 or 60 men with the same surname matching my brother & it turned out in 2009 the Family association for people with this last name paid for the men to all get their Y-dna tested. Good thing! This 2nd cousin just happened to have a great Aunt that married a man with that last name & had a child with him who would be the right age to be my father’s birth father. Did some research & he lived a block from my father’s birth mother & went away overseas (WWII) soon after my father would have been consummated. Just to try it out I plugged him in my tree as my father’s birth father & all those 3rd & 4th cousin matches on Ancestry that I had no idea how I was related magically popped up as known matches ( if you have Ancestry you will know what I’m talking about- if your tree matches another dna match’s tree they tell you how). So it was clear this man was my grandfather.

Comment

Further update:

ordered military records to try & find info on my grandfather but apparently there was a fire & his records were destroyed. I was able to get a pic of his grave & found out he was a Staff Sgt in the Army during WWII. I thought that was all I would get since there were no living relatives- close ones anyway- to help out. I just happened to check newspapers.com & found his death write up. He was only 59 when he died but he was living in the YMCA bc he was an ex-con who had gotten sober & was counselling alcoholic prisoners. Unfortunately he became ill with pancreatic cancer & died at the VA. He had no family so the military buried him in Baltimore. Sad story but there was a pic & my father does resemble him. My father is also a recovering alcoholic who got sober the same year as his birth father (weird). Unfortunately his birth father never knew about him but at least we know the story now.

Comment

Working...
        X