Adoptee looking for birth family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoptee looking for birth family

I am new to the genealogy discussion, so Y-DNA, markers, all of that, are things I'm not too learned on. I was adopted when I was 4 days old; birth mom was 15 and dad was 17. Did not have any luck finding them through the agency I was adopted through and decided to try this site and ancestry.com. I've submitted DNA to both and I'm showing matches, but so far still no luck. Looking for any help that can be offered.

Born March 31, 1981 in Sulphur, LA.

First, I suggest that you read "The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy" by Blaine T. Bettinger.

I also suggest that you read through the old posts on this Adoptee forum. There are websites dedicated to helping adoptees use DNA to find their parents. They have been mentioned here. I just don't remember them

You are going to have to spend many hours trying to make trees for your closest matches who have none posted.

Comment

If I understand correctly, you have done both AncestryDNA and Family Finder. Have you uploaded the results of either to GEDmatch.com? Since you are male, doing a Y-DNA test might help on the paternal side. FTDNA with its Father's Day Sale is offering Y-37 for $129. That would be a good level of markers to start with.

Good luck. If you are persistent and patient, things should fall in place for you. All it takes is for the right person to decide to test.

Jack

Comment

Yes, if you are male, definitely do a Y-DNA test, a minimum of 37 markers, more if you can afford it. If you are lucky you might find your father's surname. Sometimes people get a lot of distant matches with many different surnames, but sometimes they get close matches most of whom have the same surname.

In my cousin's case, his results showed quite a few very close matches with the surname Hampton and absolutely none with the surname we expected! I eventually found out that my great-grandfather was the son of a neighbor and not the son of my great-great-grandmother's husband.

Comment

other resources for adoptees

Please consider joining FTDNA's Global Adoptees Genealogy Project! The administrators can look over your results and provide useful advice. Members have lots of experience to share.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/gagp/activity-feed

Another excellent resource:

http://www.dnaadoption.com/

Best wishes on your journey

Comment

Working...
          X