Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help

Hello all.
    New to this, but looking for help on what to do about trying to find natural father. Mothers details known, and meet, no help at all.
    Known details are father from ship that docked Sydney Australia around Dec 1957/ Jan 1958.
    wanting help on were I go from here.

Originally posted by gjp View Post
    Hello all.
    New to this, but looking for help on what to do about trying to find natural father. Mothers details known, and meet, no help at all.
    Known details are father from ship that docked Sydney Australia around Dec 1957/ Jan 1958.
    wanting help on were I go from here.
    Have you taken any DNA tests yet?

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
      Have you taken any DNA tests yet?

Jack
      Hi jack, yes through My Heritage and transferred date across to Family Tree

Comment

Are you male or female? Did you have any close DNA matches at My Heritage or here with Family Finder?

Comment

Originally posted by gjp View Post
          Hi jack, yes through My Heritage and transferred date across to Family Tree
          A male can test his Y DNA, by purchasing one of Y DNA tests (all are on-sale until Friday).

Y-DNA67 is in some sense a good starting point, however if nobody related to you has tested here, then the type of test does not matter. Get the one you can afford. You can upgrade later (FTDNA will use the same sample).

Having Y DNA tested increases chances of finding a genetic link.

Mr. W.

Comment

Originally posted by mattn View Post
            Are you male or female? Did you have any close DNA matches at My Heritage or here with Family Finder?

Comment

Male, and had 3602 matches with FT and 4800 DNA matches with My Heritage

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                A male can test his Y DNA, by purchasing one of Y DNA tests (all are on-sale until Friday).

Y-DNA67 is in some sense a good starting point, however if nobody related to you has tested here, then the type of test does not matter. Get the one you can afford. You can upgrade later (FTDNA will use the same sample).

Having Y DNA tested increases chances of finding a genetic link.

Mr. W.
                I absolutely agree with Mr. W. If you cannot afford the Y-67, I would get at least Y-37. The Y-testing would give you a pretty good chance of identifying the predominant surname of your patrilineal line. If any records are available of the arriving and departing ships for the port for the time period in which you were conceived, you might be able to identify some candidate crew members.

Good luck!

Jack

Comment

If you do not wish to spend money on yDNA37 or yDNA67 at this time, you can click on your upgrade button and order yDNA12 for $59.
                  This will give you an idea of matches in database, but not all will be genealogical relevant at this level.
                  They will need a DNA sample to do testing (can not use Raw data transfer data) and send out a new DNA collection kit (cheek swab), so make sure you enter your correct mailing address.

Based on yDNA12 matchlist and number of repeating surnames, you can upgrade at a later date to see how many continue to match on the higher levels.

YDNA will go on sale again around Fathers Day.
                  Last edited by prairielad; 22nd April 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                    If you do not wish to spend money on yDNA37 or yDNA67 at this time, you can click on your upgrade button and order yDNA12 for $59.
                    This will give you an idea of matches in database, but not all will be genealogical relevant at this level.
                    They will need a DNA sample to do testing (can not use Raw data transfer data) and send out a new DNA collection kit (cheek swab), so make sure you enter your correct mailing address.

Based on yDNA12 matchlist and number of repeating surnames, you can upgrade at a later date to see how many continue to match on the higher levels.

YDNA will go on sale again around Fathers Day.
                    If you cannot afford Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA37, then yes buy Y-DNA12. But even buying Y-DNA25 is better than Y-DNA12.

Due to the way the matching is implemented, you might not see your true close matches at Y-DNA12. People would have many thousands of matches****, if anything but an exact match is shown with the first 12 Y DNA markers (panel 1 = STRs 1-12 at FTDNA). There is an allowance for a distance of 1, but only for those who are in the same project. And (unlike most of those who test here) you have no idea which surname project to join, as they could be the not showing with Y-DNA12 results.

Good luck in your quest - Mr. W.

P.S.
                    **** Some people here already have thousands of matches with whom they share identical STRs in the panel 1 (STRs 1-12 at FTDNA).
                    Last edited by dna; 22nd April 2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

If you haven't a DNA test at Ancestry.com, I recommend doing it. They have a very large data base compared to FTDNA. FTDNA shows about 4,000 matches for me and Ancestry has about 67,900. The more autosomal tests like the Family Finder test you take gives you a much better base for finding a possible close relative.

The Y-DNA at 12 gave my brother a ton of 0 step matches, but when we took the test to 67, he has no matches at a zero step and his only has a few matches starting at 4 steps away. The Y DNA can be useful for making certain that a possible match along a father's line is a match, but not as good for looking for unknown relatives.

Comment

Looking for birth father

Hi my name Joseph Kraipovich .Kraipovich is my adopted
                        name.Makowski was my birth name.I was born in 1950
                        At St Vincent’s hospital in Philadelphia Pa .My birth mothers name was Natalie Makowski and the information my mother told the hospital was that my birth fathers name was Alexander Panas.in1992 I met the Panas family
                        And I accepted this information until I just had a great nephew and cousin take a dna test on ancestry and I didn’t natch either one of them but they matched each other. So I was checking my notes from my 2 half brothers
                        Whom I met in 1992 and they told me that fathers name was Olek for Alex in Polish he spoke very little English and he was from Poland and lived in thee 300 block in Camden New Jersey Since them my 2 half brothers passed away
                        so I can’t get any information from them Any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated you can e mail me at [email protected]

Comment

Y DNA test

Hi I am currently waiting my results for my Y -37 DNA test
                          I hope this will chef some light on my fathers surname

Thanks for listening

Joseph A Kraipovich

Comment

I am helping my adopted daughter in law find her family.
                            My suggestion is to also test at Ancestry and 23andme. These are huge pools of people and some people for some reason just test one place and stop. Its a numbers game so try and cover all the people you can.

Good Luck!

Comment

gip, in addition to the good suggestions already given, be sure to transfer your autosomal results to GEDmatch. It is free. Just google GEDmatch and you will easily be walked through it. Also, some tutorials are there for your further understanding.

At Gedmatch, I have 2000 matches all above 16.3 cMs.

You can use a pseudonyn at Gedmatch if you are concerned about privacy.
                              Last edited by Biblioteque; 1st June 2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X