What next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What next?

I am an adoptee with no information about either parent. I already took the "23andme" test and did an "ancestry.com/.ca" dna test so I'm on both databases and at least know my ethnicity (almost 100% Finnish, according to both tests). Any info from others is not very useful. So far, I have no names, no close connections, and only one possible 2nd cousin from dna results. I've now downloaded my results here but have not yet made any commitment to further testing with this company. Although my data appears to have been seen by members here, I am unable to access or see anything myself as of yet. Basic question: Should I do a third dna test here in order to access this data? I just keep seeing the option to pay for yet another dna test! What should I do next?!!

It shouldn't take more than a day or two to get your results for your transfer. It should be worth the wait, FTDNA has a large number of Finns in their database. Unless you want your remote matches, there's no need to pay for another test.
    Last edited by Frank Kelch; 16th November 2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

While your at it, you might want to upload your raw data to GEDmatch, My Heritage and DNAland, as well. More matches means a better chance of finding what your looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Kelch View Post
        If you can afford it, you should definitely take the Family Finder test, they have a large number of Finns in their database. Of course, you could upload your raw data to FTDNA for free (if you're not interested in your remote matches).
        By all means get the Family Finder test as soon as possible. In my book, it is the only autosomal test which has not been crippled through a reduction of the number of SNP's used for matching. However when the current chips run out, Family Finder may be forced to change.

I find more SNP's mean a better chance of finding distant matches.

Jack

Comment

Thanks all!

...I will continue my journey, even though it is really kind of challenging without any names or information to pursue except "cousin level" which of course is little help with no names and no way of determining to which parent someone belongs.

Comment

There is 3036 Finish descendants that has tested fullMitho with FTDNA, and it seems like the ratio FamilyFinder / fullMitho is 2:1. So it shall be almost 10000 Finish people to test against. So maybe you get some close hit.

Comment

Always remember too, that while the number of people who do DNA testing at some point is increasing fairly rapidly, not all families are interested in genealogy and they don't test. It can be a long time before you actually pick up a close relative. Use the time to question everyone you can about what they might know of your background. If you know where you were born, you'll need to see if you can get your birth certificate, the one made out for you prior to adoption. Also have you checked state adoption registries of people who are searching for a parent or child? Have you looked into adoption angels who are people with some knowledge of how the systems work in various areas and are willing to help you search? Good luck.

Comment

Sad Reality!

Continuing on my journey...thanks again to those who responded here. I am well aware of how long this might take and that it may never produce results. How can I figure anything out from 1000s of names when the connections are 3rd or 4th cousins and I have no clues to begin with?. I just found a 1st - 2nd cousin, the closest relative yet, who seems to be reluctant to share any information --despite the fact that we are very likely closer than anyone else so far. I have no way of determining whether we are related on my paternal or maternal side. As cousins, it would be his parents' siblings I need to know about and I have asked him twice, explaining my predicament. He seems to be avoiding the question.... Some researchers have suggested that one should not publish the adoption fact in one's profile. I chose to let the genie out of the bottle. This may have inhibited my chances! The most difficult part is knowing that I may never find out where I came from. It seems, in this case at least, that I have no rights, even more than 50 years later...

Comment

Is your first/second cousin on Ancestry? Have you tried to make a tree with any of the Ancestry matches? I have had no luck with any of the other tests, but Ancestry has connected for me.

Comment

Thanks for the reply....To answer your question, no it does not appear that this one person is on Ancestry (I have taken that test as well and it turned up no one else who is close, just more distant relatives). My one "cousin" here appears to have altered his FTDNA family diagram so that most of his connection circles are marked "private". (I assume this is done deliberately using the settings?) This only adds to the mystery -- and...discouragement!

Comment

Depending on if you want to do more testing and are male, you could look at yDNA testing here at FTDNA

YDNA may give you an idea of a paternal line to look out for, if matching yDNA STR signature is in Database.

YDNA37 is minimum recommended.

Comment

My advice is to print a worksheet to use.

Then I would just find someone with a tree and find out what they have in common with another person that is also a match, and continue that process. One might develop of grouping of one type of surnames and a grouping of an entirely different list of surnames and develop one's lines that way.

One might not find their closest relations immediately but it might help find common Great Grandparents. To single it down between closer relations, yes, one does need those closer matches.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcm

I have people in my tree, that I call "floaters" that are related to me somehow, that I haven't figured out yet but that I am working on.

Get one's DNA everywhere and if there are no close matches at this time, then keep looking at other DNA matches and their trees, then wait it out for a closer match.

*I don't know* if FTDNA has a project studying Finnish but I know the Mexican project I am in that they were able to connect some users to a certain ancestral line just by their DNA. Wow, I wish they had done that for my Uncle's DNA on a branch I didn't know about, but they didn't. I hope they can do that for you. So look for a project, if there is any for your location (the location that matches your DNA.) For that, it doesn't matter if any surname is known. FTDNA tests are required for that.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Have you also uploaded to MyHeritage?

I'm finding that although there are non-communicative cousins in each database I'm starting to work out say that Ray at MyHeritage is probably a sibling of Joan at Ancestry, because they have the same last name and have many of the same matches in common.

I'm finding that the people who are in more than one database are more into genealogy.

How many centiMorgans are you sharing with your matches?
                          Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 20th January 2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RebeccaR View Post

*I don't know* if FTDNA has a project studying Finnish but I know the Mexican project I am in that they were able to connect some users to a certain ancestral line just by their DNA. Wow, I wish they had done that for my Uncle's DNA on a branch I didn't know about, but they didn't. I hope they can do that for you. So look for a project, if there is any for your location (the location that matches your DNA.) For that, it doesn't matter if any surname is known. FTDNA tests are required for that.

Best of luck to you.
                            They do have a Finland project. It's nearly 11k members.

"The FTDNA Finland DNA Project seeks to help Finns, people living in Finland and others who have Finnish ancestors or Finnish connections to find DNA-matches that may lead to confirmations and discoveries of shared ancestors and learn more about their deep ancestral origins.

The Finland DNA Project compiles and studies mtDNA, Y-DNA test and Family Finder results. Both women and men are welcome to join the project. All surnames are welcomed, birth place or living place are not a restriction."

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/finland/about
                            Last edited by RebeccaR; 20th January 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
                              Have you also uploaded to MyHeritage?

I'm finding that although there are non-communicative cousins in each database I'm starting to work out say that Ray at MyHeritage is probably a sibling of Joan at Ancestry, because they have the same last name and have many of the same matches in common.

I'm finding that the people who are in more than one database are more into genealogy.

How many centiMorgans are you sharing with your matches?
                              278 centimorgans is the closest person so far...

Comment

Working...
                              X