How did you get started?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get started?

I'm not an adoptee,but half my tree is completely wrong and I do not know where or how it is.

How did you make your first connections and begin to piece together your information?

I have had pretty poor luck contacting matches. Many don't respond, but also, many of my closest matches are adoptees themselves, were switched at birth, or the product of sperm donation, and they don't know any more than I do.

I'm sure others on here have encountered these kinds of hurdles, how did you get past them?

When you say that half your tree is completely wrong, what do you mean? Is it a tree that someone else has done or one that you have researched yourself?

All I can say, to what you've said, is that it seems as if you need to start with what you know about yourself as to dates and places and work backward through your parents' information, making sure that you have the correct data for them. Don't just add other trees to your tree that other people have created unless you have some data to back up their entries. You can use other trees to guide you on research, but don't take everything on another tree as the absolute truth, unless they have a clear research trail with sources.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
      When you say that half your tree is completely wrong, what do you mean? Is it a tree that someone else has done or one that you have researched yourself?

All I can say, to what you've said, is that it seems as if you need to start with what you know about yourself as to dates and places and work backward through your parents' information, making sure that you have the correct data for them. Don't just add other trees to your tree that other people have created unless you have some data to back up their entries. You can use other trees to guide you on research, but don't take everything on another tree as the absolute truth, unless they have a clear research trail with sources.
      The tester is not matching with people they (theoretically) should be related to. Everything in the tree I have constructed is backed up with direct sources that I have done myself, but it's useless if I'm tracing the wrong people. I'm not sure how to go about finding an NPE or adoption/etc

Comment

How distant are the people you think you should be related to, and who aren't showing as a genetic link? The distance from a "cousin" could very well be the reason for not showing a genetic relationship.

My brother and I have both done the FTDNA FF test and we show that we are full siblings due to the amount of DNA we share. But when it comes to our match lists, those numbers are different. On both of our lists over half of the matches we don't share in common with each other. But since he is my brother, his cousins are mine and mine his. many of these shared but not genetically shared cousins are called in the 2nd to 4th range and are sharing up to 70cM with the longest block of 24.

Do you have any nearer relations like a sibling that you could test?

Comment

"...many of my closest matches are adoptees themselves, were switched at birth, or the product of sperm donation, and they don't know any more than I"

If half your tree is "wrong" and it is on the paternal side, your words above seem like a huge hint to me.

Perhaps you should get geographical information from these folks. It may help narrow things down.

Comment

Working...
          X