Told he was English found out through DNA 1/2 Norwegian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Told he was English found out through DNA 1/2 Norwegian

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction...
    My husband who was adopted was told that his background was English.
    We recently did our autosomal family finder tests and his family tree DNA results came back 48% Norwegian! This was a great surprise to him. How does he find out which parent it was? And for his Norwegian DNA percentage to be at 48% was it a grandparent or two? What further test(s) should he do? There are no family members to ask about this Scandinavian bloodline. Thank you!

Originally posted by LilaJ View Post
    We recently did our autosomal family finder tests and his family tree DNA results came back 48% Norwegian! This was a great surprise to him. How does he find out which parent it was? And for his Norwegian DNA percentage to be at 48% was it a grandparent or two? What further test(s) should he do? There are no family members to ask about this Scandinavian bloodline. Thank you!
    What were the closest relationships he got with his FF matches?

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
      What were the closest relationships he got with his FF matches?

Jack
      Hi Jack
      His top match was
      3rd Cousin - 5th Cousin 60 centimorgans longest block 16
      did a Y12 DNA test...

Comment

Originally posted by LilaJ View Post
        Are 48% of his FF matches Norwegian? Or if you mean 48% Scandinavian in myOrigins, he still needs lots of Norwegian, Swedish or Danish FF matches to make that estimated percentage realistic.

Comment

Did you test here at FTDNA and did it specifically say Norwegian, or Scandinavia.

I test here and got 57% West/Central Europe and 43% Scandinavia. At Ancestry I got 57% Great Britain, Iberian Peninsula 12%, Scandinavia 11%, Ireland 10%, Finland/Northwest Russia 7%, West Europe 3% (Trace)

So your husband may have more England than the test shows.

Ethnicity reports should be taken with a bit of salt.

Comment

Scandinavian for people of the British Isles is more likely due to the Viking influence. It does not necessarily mean a recent Scandinavian ancestor.

For example, my Grandmother is on solely English orgins (back to mid 1700's) and her myOrigins shows the following
            http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...9&postcount=14

Unless your husbands match list is matching up with many Scandinavians, I would not say he has a recent connection to Scandinavia

My maternal Grandfather is half Norwegian and half Swedish, he shows 100% Scandinavia and his matchlist also reflects this, where as my maternal Grandmothers does not show Scandinavian matches (only a minute subset)

Below are some links which may help understand myOrigins groups

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tion-clusters/
            British Isles

The British Isles cluster, though it’s especially typical of Ireland, includes all European Islands from the far north and down south to the Azores Islands off the coast of Spain. The continuous mixing of European populations means that this group is also present in lesser amounts on the mainland. Genetically close to the Western and Central Europe and Scandinavia clusters, the British Isles has had an impact on the demography of the world because of the explosion of population in the Anglosphere over the past few centuries.

The farmers came to Britain late, but when they came, they brought great change. The hunters were assimilated by the farmer. This admixture caused the British Isles cluster as we know it to become a hybrid of farmer and hunter. Perhaps due to its isolation and strategic placement, the major powers in the world and throughout history have wanted to rule the islands. From Caesar to the Irish king Niall of the Nine Hostages, we see the wide variety of genetic influence from the Celts, Picts, Vikings, Normans, and French.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...BZEPjOQbWvE%3D
            Last edited by prairielad; 2 February 2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X