Advice on locating grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on locating grandfather

I am 52 years of age and live in Sydney Australia.
    My father was born 11/11/1933 and died in 1978.
    His mother was not married and when he was 7 or 8, his married aunt and uncle adopted him. My "birth" grandmother was well known to me; she too is deceased.
    His father was not listed on birth certificate and rumour has it was from Britian so had to be in Sydney Australia January/February of 1933.
    My mother is still alive.
    My father has a 1/2 sister who is still alive.
    Too many family secrets!!
    I joined FTDNA in May 2016. I sent of for a Y111 test, I have been receiving daily e-mails of matches.
    The halogroup that it came back with is R-M269, I don't quite know what that means.
    I get heaps of 12 matches
    I have
    5 x 25 matches with Genetic Distance of 0
    6 x 37 matches with Genetic Distance of 4
    3 x 37 matches with Genetic Distance of 3

To find my "birth" grandfather, do I sit back and wait for some stroke of luck that a 111 match hits my computer some day or are there other ways I can use these 14 semi strong matches to track my ancestry?

First and foremost R-M269 is very common and most likely there will be several matches that are from 10k+ years ago. The 12 marker tests won't give any help, the 25 marker could help but it depends on if they were the GD of 3 at y37? Even so that is a distant match. For the matching kits at Y37, are any of them tested to Y67 or Y111. If they have and they don't show up in your matches they are not going to be recent enough to help you.

Based on who you said was still alive I would suggest asking them to take family finder test (you as well). I'm in a similar situation where I am looking for my grandmother's father. If you tested your mother, yourself and your half aunt; you would be able to determine if your top matches are from your mother's side of the family, the side that the half sister is from or your grandfather's. There will be several people that you won't be able to determine simply because your half aunt doesn't get the same DNA as her brother from their mutual mother(assumed). Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by high734 View Post
      First and foremost R-M269 is very common and most likely there will be several matches that are from 10k+ years ago. The 12 marker tests won't give any help, the 25 marker could help but it depends on if they were the GD of 3 at y37? Even so that is a distant match. For the matching kits at Y37, are any of them tested to Y67 or Y111. If they have and they don't show up in your matches they are not going to be recent enough to help you.

Based on who you said was still alive I would suggest asking them to take family finder test (you as well). I'm in a similar situation where I am looking for my grandmother's father. If you tested your mother, yourself and your half aunt; you would be able to determine if your top matches are from your mother's side of the family, the side that the half sister is from or your grandfather's. There will be several people that you won't be able to determine simply because your half aunt doesn't get the same DNA as her brother from their mutual mother(assumed). Good luck
      My cousin was a perfect YDNA match at all the tests but one. We got one mutation at DYS 446. We connect back thru 9 fathers.

Comment

Working...
      X