Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - ethnicity of adopted Grandfather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - ethnicity of adopted Grandfather?

Hi

My Grandfather was adopted (father "unknown" on his birth cert). All the rest of my family and his birth mother were of Northern European heritage and fair skinned. However my Grandfather was very olive skinned. I am a spitting image of him and have been mistaken for being Italian all my life.

I would very much like to confirm his ethnicity.

Given he was my fathers father I took a Y DNA test to 67 markers, assuming this would provide me with the answer. However my Y-haplogroup R-M269 seems to be common all over Europe.

Aside from waiting perhaps a lifetime for the possibility that a close matching relative from his fathers country of origin may happen to test, is there any other way I can narrow down the ethnicity of my Grandfather?

Just work the autosomal DNA to find people with common ancestry to him. The common ancestors are not that far back, well within the reach of autosomal DNA. I wouldn't waste my time with making conjectures from admixture results.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousGlen View Post
      Hi

However my Y-haplogroup R-M269 seems to be common all over Europe.

R-M269 is your basic haplogroup predictions, You should join the appropriate Haplogroup project, if you haven't already, and talk to the Admins.

They maybe able to shed some light on origins based on your marker values and suggest an appropriate SNP test to find the Subclade branch of R-M269 you belong to.

Comment

I agree with georgian1950. Do the Family Finder test. If your parent in that line is alive, test the your parent instead. It will give you an ethnicity prediction, but ethnicity predictions are not that accurate. Work with your cousin list instead and try to find your grandfather's ancestors or relatives. That will tell you more about his ethnicity than anything.

If you can afford it, test at Ancestry too.

Comment

Working...
        X