To contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To contact?

My children do not have many matches at all and most are on my side. I'm working on their paternal side. They have 1 cousin that's suggested as a 3rd cousin. 104 shared cM. I did a mirror tree and got 7-8 shared ancestry hints back to the same relative which would be his great great grandfather. I think it may be one of the great great grandfathers siblings maybe since the shared hints are only on the great great grandfathers side and none from his wife's side. My son is 6 and this match is 50-60's so I think perhaps 2nd cousins removed some.

I know a fair amount about the donor and his family. I know how many siblings they have, their age range. His mother was a nurse. His paternal grandfather did concrete pottery and it turned into a very successful business since the donors father and uncle were good business men plus a few other things. As recommended I have been building down trees from the suggested MCRA. It's either the cousins great great grandfather or his great great great grandfather & grandmother for certain. That seems a tad far back give the age gap and the shared cM though. Anyways Ancestry and another group suggested I build down and see what hints appear. Ancesty's site isn't currently working for ancestry shared hints and now it may take up to 2 weeks and many people are losing some as part of this current issue. So while I have built down a lot I haven't gotten any shared hints. I was thinking of perhaps messaging the creator of the trees from the decedents that are very recent and passed away in the last few years. I don't know if I should and especially how to word it. Something along the lines (but much better) that I'm trying to build a tree and then somehow put in and ask if they have any cousins or know of anyone in the family ancestry that perhaps was a nurse. I know this MRCA was an ancestor of the donors mother since I know some info on the donors parents. I also know the age range that two of his grandparents died and how. I have several I can ask. I assume most will ignore my info but some may respond. It might help me eliminate some of the decendants lines. I'm not really trying to find the donor or his close family but would like to figure out the great grandparents info to build a tree from there for my children.

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
    My children do not have many matches at all and most are on my side. I'm working on their paternal side. They have 1 cousin that's suggested as a 3rd cousin. 104 shared cM. I did a mirror tree and got 7-8 shared ancestry hints back to the same relative which would be his great great grandfather. I think it may be one of the great great grandfathers siblings maybe since the shared hints are only on the great great grandfathers side and none from his wife's side. My son is 6 and this match is 50-60's so I think perhaps 2nd cousins removed some.

I know a fair amount about the donor and his family. I know how many siblings they have, their age range. His mother was a nurse. His paternal grandfather did concrete pottery and it turned into a very successful business since the donors father and uncle were good business men plus a few other things. As recommended I have been building down trees from the suggested MCRA. It's either the cousins great great grandfather or his great great great grandfather & grandmother for certain. That seems a tad far back give the age gap and the shared cM though. Anyways Ancestry and another group suggested I build down and see what hints appear. Ancesty's site isn't currently working for ancestry shared hints and now it may take up to 2 weeks and many people are losing some as part of this current issue. So while I have built down a lot I haven't gotten any shared hints. I was thinking of perhaps messaging the creator of the trees from the decedents that are very recent and passed away in the last few years. I don't know if I should and especially how to word it. Something along the lines (but much better) that I'm trying to build a tree and then somehow put in and ask if they have any cousins or know of anyone in the family ancestry that perhaps was a nurse. I know this MRCA was an ancestor of the donors mother since I know some info on the donors parents. I also know the age range that two of his grandparents died and how. I have several I can ask. I assume most will ignore my info but some may respond. It might help me eliminate some of the decendants lines. I'm not really trying to find the donor or his close family but would like to figure out the great grandparents info to build a tree from there for my children.
    Did you do any Y-DNA tests?

Comment

Yes my son has. His biggest match is a 60/67 and only 1. He has 12 at the 25 marker and then lots at 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
        Yes my son has. His biggest match is a 60/67 and only 1. He has 12 at the 25 marker and then lots at 12.
        Y-DNA is no help. Guess you can try MTDNA. It worked wonders for us.

Comment

MtDNA can be useful in confirming certain relationships, but in this case, her children would be carrying their mother's, , Sara 291's, mtDNA. They'd have no mtDNA from their paternal line.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
            MtDNA can be useful in confirming certain relationships, but in this case, her children would be carrying their mother's, , Sara 291's, mtDNA. They'd have no mtDNA from their paternal line.
            It works on FTDNA fine for both sexes. Found my Uncle and found a child of my cousin (male). I have several male perfect matches. I'm also a male. See my earlier posts.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
              It works on FTDNA fine for both sexes. Found my Uncle and found a child of my cousin (male). I have several male perfect matches. I'm also a male. See my earlier posts.
              Here's a quote from the OP's first post in this thread: "My children do not have many matches at all and most are on my side. I'm working on their paternal side."

She's made it clear she's hoping to find matches on the children's paternal side. As keigh posted in response to your suggestion that testing the children's mtDNA will help her research, the children's mtDNA didn't come from anyone on their paternal side. That's because children receive their mtDNA only from their mother.

In light of these scientific facts, please explain to us how testing the children's mtDNA will find matches on the children's paternal side.

We're all very happy that you've found what you regard as significant matches through mtDNA testing. In fact, most people don't have the success you've had with mtDNA testing, but that's beside my main point. The point is that you're not helping others here when you suggest that they'll have the same success by testing mtDNA as you've had, even though the test is not appropriate to their research.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                Here's a quote from the OP's first post in this thread: "My children do not have many matches at all and most are on my side. I'm working on their paternal side."

She's made it clear she's hoping to find matches on the children's paternal side. As keigh posted in response to your suggestion that testing the children's mtDNA will help her research, the children's mtDNA didn't come from anyone on their paternal side. That's because children receive their mtDNA only from their mother.

In light of these scientific facts, please explain to us how testing the children's mtDNA will find matches on the children's paternal side.

We're all very happy that you've found what you regard as significant matches through mtDNA testing. In fact, most people don't have the success you've had with mtDNA testing, but that's beside my main point. The point is that you're not helping others here when you suggest that they'll have the same success by testing mtDNA as you've had, even though the test is not appropriate to their research.
                It looks to me that she has ran the course of tests. I suggested male Y-DNA and she said she already used that. I don't know about Big Y.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post

Men can be tested for mtDNA along with their sisters. The mtDNA that they will show will be that of their mother which she passed to them. Now an uncle could be found using mtDNA if he is also the brother of the mother. However the uncle's children will not share their father's mtDNA as they get their mtDNA from their mother. Men can only receive mtDNA from their moms and can not pass it to their children while women can. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are so extremely rare that mtDNA is use to trace a woman's genetic history while the Y-DNA is used for men.

It is very rare for a man's mtDNA to get through the fertilization process. See: http://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-ge...comes-only-mom

Comment

Working...
                  X