Biological father looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    I think your first step is to find out what the adoption laws are in the states where you think your child was adopted. As the biological father, you may have some rights, even under a closed adoption, to information about your child. It may be that you have some recourse through a legal process to have contact with your child.

Also, were you involved in the adoption process? Did you sign any documents that would restrict your ability to contact your child at some future point?

If you can get access to your child through a legal process, that would be more effective than hoping that your child has tested his DNA and is in the genetic genealogy databases. If your child hasn't resorted to DNA testing, you won't find him/her through testing your own DNA. If the legal route doesn't work in getting contact, then you would want to order the Family Finder test, as MoberlyDrake recommended.

Also, there are various websites and groups that advise adoptees about how to find their biological parents. I'm sure those groups would be willing to help you in your search for your child. Others more familiar with those groups probably have contact information for them.

Comment

MMaddi,
      This was in North Dakota in 1969. About 10 years later I was going through North Dakota and made a point of visiting the Vital Statistics office in Bismarck. I was told in quite certain terms that I had no rights whatsoever.
      It is worth checking to see if the laws have changed there, but I doubt it. This was a closed adoption orchestrated by the Catholic Diocese, in Grand Forks, I believe, although it could have been in Minneapolis or even Montana. The birth Mother died about 2 years ago and had a daughter about a year and a half younger than her older half brother. She also tried to contact him through the Catholics, was told they would forward a letter, but nothing came of it (by design I think, now that I have seen the movie Philomena).
      I was not involved at all in the adoption process. She told me she had gotten an abortion in Minneapolis and I found out the morning I left North Dakota to come back to Alaska that
      she was pregnant. I made no effort to contact her. I kept up with her life through the alumni magazine from UND.
      I certainly agree that a legal process is preferable but it could also be very expensive and produce nothing.
      I am just learning about these genetic options and I certainly will research the adoptee websites. Long long ago I registered with a site working out of Carson City Nevada, but never hears anything from them.
      Thanks for your interest, the family finder testing is probably next.
      RMATAK

Comment

To cast a wide net and save on some money, you could do the AncestryDNA test and then transfer it to FTDNA for a fee. You save some money that way. You save more if you get the test during a sale. Ironically the next sale will probably be around Father's Day.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
          [ATTACH]4810[/ATTACH]

This is my Uncle.
          Your mito DNA should match your uncle's one if he is your maternal uncle. My mito DNA matches my maternal uncle's one. It is only to be expected. If I were a man, it would not change anything. If there is a full match between your DNA and your paternal uncle's one, then, as it has been already said, there was some intermarriage in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by kora View Post
            Your mito DNA should match your uncle's one if he is your maternal uncle. My mito DNA matches my maternal uncle's one. It is only to be expected. If I were a man, it would not change anything. If there is a full match between your DNA and your paternal uncle's one, then, as it has been already said, there was some intermarriage in the family.
            My Uncles MTDNA match was thru my grandmother (her son). Not sure about intermarriage?

Comment

Have you found your child yet? My adoption agency actually has a paid registration service where both the bio parents and the adoptees can register, so if you can find out the agency's name, maybe that would be an option to see if your child has registered and is wishing for contact.

Comment

Working...
              X