Biological father looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biological father looking

I believe myself to be the biological father of a child adopted through a closed adoption. Male child born in late 1969, probably in the Dakotas or Montana. What are my options?

Originally posted by RMATAK View Post
    I believe myself to be the biological father of a child adopted through a closed adoption. Male child born in late 1969, probably in the Dakotas or Montana. What are my options?
    Do you know the child's full adoptive name and his parent's names as well?

Comment

Get a MTDNA full test. It will show male and female.

Comment

Are you searching for the child or are you trying to prove that a particular individual is your child?

I would recommend the Family Finder test in either case. For both of you, if you have a particular person in mind. It is an autosomal test and it will definitely prove a parent child relationship.

If you don't have any idea what happened to the child and are just hoping he or she has done a DNA test, you will definitely want to do the autosomal test at Ancestry as well, and at 23andMe too, if you can.

Comment

I think your first step is to find out what the adoption laws are in the states where you think your child was adopted. As the biological father, you may have some rights, even under a closed adoption, to information about your child. It may be that you have some recourse through a legal process to have contact with your child.

Also, were you involved in the adoption process? Did you sign any documents that would restrict your ability to contact your child at some future point?

If you can get access to your child through a legal process, that would be more effective than hoping that your child has tested his DNA and is in the genetic genealogy databases. If your child hasn't resorted to DNA testing, you won't find him/her through testing your own DNA. If the legal route doesn't work in getting contact, then you would want to order the Family Finder test, as MoberlyDrake recommended.

Also, there are various websites and groups that advise adoptees about how to find their biological parents. I'm sure those groups would be willing to help you in your search for your child. Others more familiar with those groups probably have contact information for them.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
            Get a MTDNA full test. It will show male and female.
            That test would not help. The mtDNA of the child comes from the mother and not the father. Family Finder is the best bet for this case.

Comment

Yes,mtDNA is passed from a mother to all of her children, but only her daughters can pass it on. And even if two people have the same mtDNA, it doesn't, on it's own, prove a parent-child relationship because it can remain almost unchanged for thousands of years. It can prove a common ancestor in the female line somewhere, but Family Finder will prove a mother-child relationship definitely and with less expense.

mtDNA can disprove a mother-child relationship if the results don't match. It can also prove which of two women was the mother of a man's daughters, when he had more than one wife and the time frame of the children's births is unclear, provided you have direct line female descendants of both women (a rather specialized use for genealogists).

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                That test would not help. The mtDNA of the child comes from the mother and not the father. Family Finder is the best bet for this case.
                My MTDNA shows a match to my Uncle. We had all three tests done.

Comment

MTDNA

Captureorr.JPG

This is my Uncle.

Comment

You may have a not typical situation where your father/uncle's maternal line has a common female ancestor with your mother's maternal line.

Jack

Comment

If this uncle is the brother of your mother, then yes you both would have the same (or with minor differences) mtDNA. If he is the brother of your father, then most of the time the mtDNA will be very different. When it is the same, it means your father's maternal line is related to your mother's maternal line.

On top of that, not everyone takes the mtDNA test. The Family Finder is more common.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                        If this uncle is the brother of your mother, then yes you both would have the same (or with minor differences) mtDNA. If he is the brother of your father, then most of the time the mtDNA will be very different. When it is the same, it means your father's maternal line is related to your mother's maternal line.

On top of that, not everyone takes the mtDNA test. The Family Finder is more common.
                        I have several MTDNA matches to males at 0. They still match at FMS and HVR2.
                        You were right about my Mothers Brother (Uncle).
                        I also match a girl at a 1. Thanks, Darroll

Comment

Originally posted by RMATAK View Post
                          The Family Finder (autosomal test) would be your best bet. Seeing that you joined in 2014, I suspect you've taken at least one test already. Including AncestryDNA and 23andMe would widen your scope. Uploading into Gedmatch.com is a good idea, too.

Go to the following website, begin with their "Get Started" section, and join their DNA discussion group. http://dnaadoption.com. It's typically for adopted persons looking, but perhaps folks there can provide some ideas. I might not put out there in your profile that you are looking. But then there'd be an obvious genetic match that's be pretty hard to spoof.

I do know that some states offer an adoption registry. You could possibly join any available in the states you mentioned. If your hoped-for match has also joined, you would be put in contact. But I suspect you'd need birthmother details and perhaps other details.

The hard part is waiting.

I wish you luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
                            Do you know the child's full adoptive name and his parent's names as well?
                            No I do not. I know the birth Mothers name, but she is no longer living.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                              Are you searching for the child or are you trying to prove that a particular individual is your child?

I would recommend the Family Finder test in either case. For both of you, if you have a particular person in mind. It is an autosomal test and it will definitely prove a parent child relationship.

If you don't have any idea what happened to the child and are just hoping he or she has done a DNA test, you will definitely want to do the autosomal test at Ancestry as well, and at 23andMe too, if you can.
                              Moberly-Drake,
                              Thanks for the response. Good advice, I think. I am searching. I have the birth Mothers name, that's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X