Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to help stepson find info on his dad's birth family.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to help stepson find info on his dad's birth family.

Hi, all! I've been trying to help my stepson find any information on his dad's birth family. My stepson is olive-complected, tans very easily, has black hair. His dad is the same. I had a Family Finder test run for him and all the results came back Central Western Europe. We were thinking Filipino, Native American, Hispanic...something! Then we ran a Y-DNA37 test, hoping to get results with surnames that match each other, figured father-son the surnames should pretty well match up, whatever those surnames may be (we have no idea). Well, very few matches, no matching surnames, and no really close matches.
    As a side note, we know his mom's genealogy pretty well (mostly Irish) going back a couple hundred years, but most of his Family Finder matches were full of surnames we'd never run across in research, even though FF said many of them were 2nd-4th cousins.
    Anyone have any ideas what I could try next? Thanks!

What haplogroup was he predicted as for Y-DNA?

Comment

Originally posted by jsfisher174 View Post
      Hi, all! I've been trying to help my stepson find any information on his dad's birth family. My stepson is olive-complected, tans very easily, has black hair. His dad is the same. I had a Family Finder test run for him and all the results came back Central Western Europe. We were thinking Filipino, Native American, Hispanic...something! Then we ran a Y-DNA37 test, hoping to get results with surnames that match each other, figured father-son the surnames should pretty well match up, whatever those surnames may be (we have no idea). Well, very few matches, no matching surnames, and no really close matches.
      As a side note, we know his mom's genealogy pretty well (mostly Irish) going back a couple hundred years, but most of his Family Finder matches were full of surnames we'd never run across in research, even though FF said many of them were 2nd-4th cousins.
      Anyone have any ideas what I could try next? Thanks!
      Did you ever get the kit uploaded to GEDmatch? Can you give us the surname that he is using on his Family Finder ID so that those of us so inclined can look for him our match lists.

Figuring out a paternal line from 2nd-4th cousins is not an impossible task, even if they are not communicating with you. Doing so might be tedious, but focus on ones that have family trees included on Family Finder. Run matches in common with them and compare them in the Chromosome Browser using a segment size of 1 cM. I do not care what anyone says, but if two or more of your matches line up on even a small segment, that segment is good. Filter your matches with ancestral names from the match that you are looking at. Keep checking your new matches. Who knows, something might show up.

Good luck.

Comment

David Guetta, if I'm reading the results right, he's haplogroup I-P37 (under "Haplogroup and SNPs." and . On the Haplogroup Frequency Map, it talks about I-P215 being an old European line. Sorry, I'm still figuring out how to read these results.

Comment

Georgian1950, I haven't checked out GEDmatch yet. I did post to Ysearch, though. (I think it posted. I got a server error the first time.) His surname is Gabbard. I tried comparing some of his FF match surnames with the surnames listed on his Y-DNA 37 results with no luck so far, but I still have a lot more to go. Thanks for the ideas. I'd forgotten about GEDmatch.

Comment

Georgian1950, I haven't checked out GEDmatch yet. I did post to Ysearch, though. (I think it posted. I got a server error the first time.) His surname is Gabbard. I tried comparing some of his FF match surnames with the surnames listed on his Y-DNA 37 results with no luck so far, but I still have a lot more to go. Thanks for the ideas. I'd forgotten about GEDmatch.
            Thanks, no Gabbard's on my three kits. Heck, it was worth a try. I'd still be curious to take a look when you have his GEDmatch kit number. You usually can go further back with GEDmatch by adjusting the parameters.

Good luck. Stick with it and you eventually will figure it out.

Comment

I did post to Ysearch, though. (I think it posted. I got a server error the first time.) His surname is Gabbard. I tried comparing some of his FF match surnames with the surnames listed on his Y-DNA 37 results with no luck so far, but I still have a lot more to go. Thanks for the ideas. I'd forgotten about GEDmatch.
              I think you did succeed in creating a ysearch account with his results. Look at ysearch account ENJ9F at http://www.ysearch.org/lastname_view...wuid=ENJ9F&p=0. Are these your stepson's results?

This account has 8 ysearch matches at 33/37 or 32/37, not particularly close. Five of the matches have the same surname, Rasmussen, from Norway - probably closely related cousins. Another match is an adoptee. The two remaining matches have Irish and English ancestry.

The yDNA matches will only tell you the strict paternal line ancestry of your stepson. That appears to be northern European. You'll probably have more information about his ancestry from his myOrigins percentages.

You've already written that "all the results came back Central Western Europe." So far, it seems that his dark skin and hair is misleading you to think that he has some sort of non-European ancestry, like Filipino or Native American.

This shows how phenotype (how someone looks) is not a very reliable way to judge someone's ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                This shows how phenotype (how someone looks) is not a very reliable way to judge someone's ancestry.
                Very true. I have 3 siblings, all taller, lighter skinned, and more burn-prone than I. We're 100% European and full siblings... I have the DNA test results to prove it.

Each of our respective families have at least one who we call the "brown baby" who has a more olive complexion and tans very easily. I used to attribute it to our American Indian heritage, until that was disproven by our tests. I now think it's from our one French ancestor.

kathy

Comment

Olden days, the Court used "looks" to establish Paternity

Little known Fact:

Before the advent of DNA< the Courts in this Great Country (USA) used to (in disputed cases) marcha Child and the Putative Father out before the Court (Jury's)..

And the Jury was told to make their decision on "if they resembled each other...or not ---

If they thought they looked the same, your Child (*and support for 18 years)....Thank Goodness we now have DNA.

Not "good" Justice...

We wonder how NPEs happen....but the way it was done, all one had to do was look similar (and anyone who has had a child knows their looks can change, sometimes dramatically over time)

is watch 20 minutes of The Maury Show's "Shocking Paternity" Shows....

M

Comment

My grandfather is also I-P37. They were Albanians (Balkans) who came across the Adriatic in the 1500s when the Moors invaded to avoid converting to Islam. They have been in Abruzzi since then. They are also quite dark and can have a Mediterranean appearance. My Uncle and mother also have matches that say Central European- specifically Romanian or Caucaus bc of the Balkan ancestry.

However, I-P37 splits and has the Dinaric North and South group which you would need to find out to which he belongs. My grandfather is obviously in the South. If your stepson is in the North then he would come from more Northern European ancestry- Northwest Germany, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Murp View Post
                      Little known Fact:

Before the advent of DNA< the Courts in this Great Country (USA) used to (in disputed cases) marcha Child and the Putative Father out before the Court (Jury's)..

And the Jury was told to make their decision on "if they resembled each other...or not ---

If they thought they looked the same, your Child (*and support for 18 years)....Thank Goodness we now have DNA.

Not "good" Justice...

We wonder how NPEs happen....but the way it was done, all one had to do was look similar (and anyone who has had a child knows their looks can change, sometimes dramatically over time)

is watch 20 minutes of The Maury Show's "Shocking Paternity" Shows....

M
                      My first child/a son, was born out of wedlock. When we finally decided to pursue his father, the father took one look at him and said testing was not needed. The grandmother was adamant that it be done until she saw a photo of my son. She cried. They were identical at several ages.

Comment

Working...
                      X