Found maternal birth grandmother, still looking for birth mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found maternal birth grandmother, still looking for birth mother

Through some DNA matches on ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA, I believe I have been able to determine who my husband’s maternal birth grandmother was. She passed away in 2002, but I have a lot of information on her. However, I still cannot locate his birth mother. I have found 2 of his mother’s first cousins on facebook and they have been somewhat helpful, but they won’t confirm that I have the right person or tell me anything about her. I was hoping to find an obituary on the grandmother, but I have not been able to do so. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Have you tried Gedmatch?
    I am hopeful I can find my Half Aunt and Half Uncle via DNA; my Nana passed away in 2002, as well, so her kids who were adopted out would be in their late 60s and early 70s based on what I know.
    I also have several people on Gedmatch I match to in 4th Gen. range with the last name Miller...also one on FTDNA estimated at 5th cousin range with the surname Miller ironically.

Comment

I found newspapers.com to be helpful in finding informative obits and divorce records.

Comment

If the county where the family lived has online records you can sometimes gain useful information by searching the clerk of court records. In my state most counties have online records. By reading all of the public records such as deeds, mortgages, marriage licenses etc. you can sometimes uncover family relationships and more. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I have tried Gedmatch and newspapers.com and I haven’t had any luck with either of those as of yet. As far as the online county records, I am not quite sure how to go about doing that. I have found a lot of records through ancestry.com. Perhaps if I offer up some more details you would be able to help me some more?
          I believe his grandmother to be Catherine Irene Toops (Jenkins, Beggs) Krechowski. She was born in Chicago in 1929. She had 3 daughters, Barbara, Joyce and Ann. I believe Barbara to be my husband’s birth mother. On his birth certificate his mother is listed as Barbara Louise Jenkins and she would have been born around 1951 also in Chicago. Ann is Barbara’s half sister by Mike Krechowski. She passed away in 1987 and I have found a lot of information about her. She was married several times (Sawyer, Rizuto, Moore). I do not know much about Joyce and I haven’t been able to find anything out about her.
          My husband was born in Chicago in 1967. After Barbara had the baby, Catherine divorced Mike Krechowski and moved to the Los Angeles area including Monrovia and Duarte. She seemed to move around a lot to various apartments. I’m assuming that she took Barbara with her, but I just can’t tell for sure. Ann definitely went with her and lived with her around the time of her death in 1987. Catherine passed away in Duarte in 2002.
          Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Have you been able to locate the funeral home? They may have a copy of the obit.

Originally posted by PamMiller View Post
            Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I have tried Gedmatch and newspapers.com and I haven’t had any luck with either of those as of yet. As far as the online county records, I am not quite sure how to go about doing that. I have found a lot of records through ancestry.com. Perhaps if I offer up some more details you would be able to help me some more?
            I believe his grandmother to be Catherine Irene Toops (Jenkins, Beggs) Krechowski. She was born in Chicago in 1929. She had 3 daughters, Barbara, Joyce and Ann. I believe Barbara to be my husband’s birth mother. On his birth certificate his mother is listed as Barbara Louise Jenkins and she would have been born around 1951 also in Chicago. Ann is Barbara’s half sister by Mike Krechowski. She passed away in 1987 and I have found a lot of information about her. She was married several times (Sawyer, Rizuto, Moore). I do not know much about Joyce and I haven’t been able to find anything out about her.
            My husband was born in Chicago in 1967. After Barbara had the baby, Catherine divorced Mike Krechowski and moved to the Los Angeles area including Monrovia and Duarte. She seemed to move around a lot to various apartments. I’m assuming that she took Barbara with her, but I just can’t tell for sure. Ann definitely went with her and lived with her around the time of her death in 1987. Catherine passed away in Duarte in 2002.
            Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
            X