Looking for Birth Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Birth Parents

Back in late April somebody contacted me about my adoptive fathers lineage, which I cannot help with but it got me thinking about find my birth parents once again.

So I purchased the Ancestry.com kit and a mtDNA Full Sequence to get started with my search.

Then while reading about DNA testing I ran across some links to adoption forums and happened upon a very old topic about the Florence Crittenton Homes. While reading through the topic posts I came across a email address and inquired about how this person had located their son.

About an hour later I received a reply explaining how the woman found her son, and she inquired what if anything I knew about my birth mother. I replied with what I knew.

A little later in the day I received another email explaining she thought she knew who my birth mother was and then asked if I would like to have the information she had.

And with that information I found and met my birth mother, which lead to located and meeting birth father, plus 7 half siblings and a ton of other relatives.....and it all took place in 30 day window.....without any help from DNA.

On May 31 Ancestry posted my matches and I got a match with my birth mothers sister.

Happy Ending

It's wonderful when everything falls into place.

Comment

That is AWESOME! and lucky! I wish it were that easy to locate my half Aunt and half Uncle who were adopted out in the 1940s....
      A hearty congrats on finding your birthfamily!

Comment

Very, very lucky, and I thought way too easy for quite awhile. I kept expecting something to jump out and nullify everything, even when the finish line was right in front of me I was still expecting to get tripped up.

Knowing that 99.9% of searches don't fare as well as mine I still pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming.

Even if it hadn't work out as it did, the DNA test match on Ancestry would have put on the same course.

Comment

Looking for Birth Parents

Such a great story to hear!
          I'm helping my husband search for his Mother's birth parents. The Birth Mother was at the Helena MT Florence Crittenton Home and my husband Mother was born in 1918 there.
          I have not yet found the family, and am still searching.
          It's not easy.
          He's tested on all three DNA co.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longjourney View Post
            Such a great story to hear!
            I'm helping my husband search for his Mother's birth parents. The Birth Mother was at the Helena MT Florence Crittenton Home and my husband Mother was born in 1918 there.
            I have not yet found the family, and am still searching.
            It's not easy.
            He's tested on all three DNA co.
            No it is not easy, it is like trying to find a grain of sand in a sand box. Though now with DNA testing the sand pile becomes a pile of rocks.

A crazy twist to my story is that my adoptive mother and my bio-Grandmother worked in the same small business......were my adoptive mother would take me from time to time. On top of that my bio-father attended my adoptive Grandma's church, worked for a friend of my adoptive mother and my bio Dad performed worked at my adoptive Grandfathers business.

We had all been rubbing elbows for 50 plus years and no one ever knew it.

Comment

Working...
            X