Surname Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname Search

I’m trying to find any information about my biological father.

I have a situation that is kind of unique that I haven’t seen posted, but is similar to that of an adoptee. My mother used a sperm donor back in 1984 when virtually no records were kept for donors. She died when I was very young and I have no information on my father what so ever. It was a very big secret among my family in that the only information anyone in my family knew was that she had the procedure done, but nothing else.

I took the Y-DNA 111 test and have my results. It says my predicted Haplogroup is I-M170. I have no matches at any marker level on the FTDNA site. When going to Ysearch.org, I have only one exact match at 11 markers and several genetic distance “1 & 2” of 15-12 markers compared. Are any of these close enough matches to tell me anything?

I would like to find my surname (if possible) and maybe see if I have any other half siblings. Do any of you have suggestions as to where to start, or a different test that will help? I appreciate any guidance you’re willing to offer.

If you take the family finder test, it will help you find cousins, which in turn, could lead to paternal matches. I would also research medical facilities near where your mother lived.

Also, consider that she might have conceived the old fashioned way through an NPE, so I would also ask who she was dating around that time. People were a lot more circumspect back then.

Comment

Originally posted by thost016 View Post
      When going to Ysearch.org, I have only one exact match at 11 markers and several genetic distance “1 & 2” of 15-12 markers compared. Are any of these close enough matches to tell me anything?
      It might be able to tell you ethnicity. Can you give us your Ysearch ID?

Comment

Yes, QQPPZ is my ysearch ID.

Comment

Originally posted by rmm0484 View Post
          If you take the family finder test, it will help you find cousins, which in turn, could lead to paternal matches. I would also research medical facilities near where your mother lived.

Also, consider that she might have conceived the old fashioned way through an NPE, so I would also ask who she was dating around that time. People were a lot more circumspect back then.
          I ordered the Family Finder test, so I will see what I find out there. I'm also going to try contacting some of her old friends to see if they ever heard her speak of the situation.

Comment

I’m trying to find any information about my biological father.

I have a situation that is kind of unique that I haven’t seen posted, but is similar to that of an adoptee. My mother used a sperm donor back in 1984 when virtually no records were kept for donors. She died when I was very young and I have no information on my father what so ever. It was a very big secret among my family in that the only information anyone in my family knew was that she had the procedure done, but nothing else.

I took the Y-DNA 111 test and have my results. It says my predicted Haplogroup is I-M170. I have no matches at any marker level on the FTDNA site. When going to Ysearch.org, I have only one exact match at 11 markers and several genetic distance “1 & 2” of 15-12 markers compared. Are any of these close enough matches to tell me anything?

I would like to find my surname (if possible) and maybe see if I have any other half siblings. Do any of you have suggestions as to where to start, or a different test that will help? I appreciate any guidance you’re willing to offer.
            I looked at ysearch for those closest to you. You are a GD of 18 at 67 markers to a DXF2E. He is I2b2 tested and you may belong to the same branch. Most of his matches are western Europeans and that is not much help to you but it is a start. You could join the I2b2 project and the admin may be able to find a subclade for you.I know it is a long way from where you want to be but you can do this while you are waiting for your FF results.
            You should use only your first 67 markers at ysearch for now until you get a good 67 marker match. The reason that I am saying this is that a lot testers haven't tested to 111 and even a lot of those that did haven't added them. You are way out in front of a lot of testers at present.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
              I looked at ysearch for those closest to you. You are a GD of 18 at 67 markers to a DXF2E. He is I2b2 tested and you may belong to the same branch. Most of his matches are western Europeans and that is not much help to you but it is a start. You could join the I2b2 project and the admin may be able to find a subclade for you.I know it is a long way from where you want to be but you can do this while you are waiting for your FF results.
              Thank you for looking into that. I have joined the I2a2b L38 project as I was looking into a Haplogroup calculator. I was redirected to this project by one of the administrators. I'm still in the ungrouped section.

I'm still unclear as to the relevance of the GD. What has more significance, a 4 GD in 25 markers, GD of 1 in 12 markers, or an exact at 11 markers?

When I do a search on Ysearch, the highest GD I can search at is 6.

Comment

Thank you for looking into that. I have joined the I2a2b L38 project as I was looking into a Haplogroup calculator. I was redirected to this project by one of the administrators. I'm still in the ungrouped section.

I'm still unclear as to the relevance of the GD. What has more significance, a 4 GD in 25 markers, GD of 1 in 12 markers, or an exact at 11 markers?

When I do a search on Ysearch, the highest GD I can search at is 6.
                The more markers that you match someone the closer the relationship. Try this with 67 markers at ysearch.

Show users that tested at least 67 of the markers that I did.
                Allow a maximum genetic distance of 1 per marker compared above 47 markers.
                Do not limit search by last name.

You can use whatever number of markers you want to.

Matches at 67 are more meaningful than those at 12,25 and 37. Do you understand?
                You have no meaningful matches at 111 because as I already pointed out a lot of people haven't got past the 67 marker stage. I find the 67 markers very helpful for my searches.37 are not enough.

Comment

The more markers that you match someone the closer the relationship. Try this with 67 markers at ysearch.

Show users that tested at least 67 of the markers that I did.
                  Allow a maximum genetic distance of 1 per marker compared above 47 markers.
                  Do not limit search by last name.

You can use whatever number of markers you want to.

Matches at 67 are more meaningful than those at 12,25 and 37. Do you understand?
                  You have no meaningful matches at 111 because as I already pointed out a lot of people haven't got past the 67 marker stage. I find the 67 markers very helpful for my searches.37 are not enough.
                  I do understand the more markers the more meaningful. I didn't know you could search the way you explained due to my inexperience with Ysearch.

At the 67 marker, what GD would start becoming of any significance? Obviously the lower the better. The last time I checked I had a GD of 12 at 67. I think I read somewhere that we probably wouldn't be related. Is this true?

Comment

I do understand the more markers the more meaningful. I didn't know you could search the way you explained due to my inexperience with Ysearch.

At the 67 marker, what GD would start becoming of any significance? Obviously the lower the better. The last time I checked I had a GD of 12 at 67. I think I read somewhere that we probably wouldn't be related. Is this true?
                    I learned to search like that through trial and error.
                    "A GD of 12 at 67"
                    You are related but it is further back than you are interested in. Each marker difference could mean a different SNP. I have learned this through observation.The 12 differences could be anywhere from 1200-2000 years.
                    I am sorry that I can't help you more but you need people to YDNA test perhaps from the region you were born.DNA is all about comparison.It is something that we can't do by ourselves.

Comment

I learned to search like that through trial and error.
                      "A GD of 12 at 67"
                      You are related but it is further back than you are interested in. Each marker difference could mean a different SNP. I have learned this through observation.The 12 differences could be anywhere from 1200-2000 years.
                      I am sorry that I can't help you more but you need people to YDNA test perhaps from the region you were born.DNA is all about comparison.It is something that we can't do by ourselves.
                      Do you know if there is a calculator or website that will tell me how many years back for each marker and GD?

Can anyone explain to me why I have only ONE match on FTDNA from all marker levels and genetic distances, but many on Ysearch? Ones that have even tested at FTDNA. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks

Comment

Do you know if there is a calculator or website that will tell me how many years back for each marker and GD?

Can anyone explain to me why I have only ONE match on FTDNA from all marker levels and genetic distances, but many on Ysearch? Ones that have even tested at FTDNA. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks
                        I believe you have to be an exact 12/12 match (or 11/12 match if you are both in the same surname project) to show at a match at FTDNA; 23/25 or better at the 25 level; 33/37 or better at 37 markers; and 60/67 or better at the 67 marker level. Generally those who barely match you, like if somebody who matches say at only 33 or 34 markers at 37 markers or 60 to 63 or so at 67 markers are not related in a genealogical time frame but they include these matches because sometimes one or both lines have had a higher number of mutations than would be expected occur. At Ysearch when you were searching you were allowing more mutations in your search results so again these people are no significance in your search. If you have no close Y-DNA matches you need to see what your Family Finder results say and hope for a close match there and hope for future close matches with your Y-DNA.

Comment

Working...
                        X