• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dixie_Amazon
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2015

Baby Girl Stewart 08/02/1960 Newport News, VA

I am in search of birth family. I have requested my non-ID information but Virginia DSS is way behind so it may be months before I get anything. I have also requested my medical information from the hospital even though it is a long shot. I will update this thread when I have any new information.
  • Dixie_Amazon
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2015

Additional Info:

Stewart was not my natural mother's maiden name. She was 20 and my natural father was 38.

Possible birth father John H. Stewart (deceased)
    Possible birth mother Doris Jean Melzer. Does not want any contact.

Comment

• CMMcDonald
      FTDNA Customer
      • Mar 2015

Dixie,

Did you use a Search Angel to get the names? It is easy to trace Doris in the records at Ancestry, but presume you know that. If she is indeed the right person, you might look in NC for records on your possible father.

Carla

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jan 2015

I found her via Virginia divorce records on Ancestry. The only one that the ages match. I have communicated with one of her daughters. I promised not to disturb her mother and she did want to help at first but suddenly then changed her mind. She is not willing to do DNA.

My possible brother wants nothing to do with any of it. Apparently he did not know he was born a Stewart until he was 40. The Stewarts contacted him and he want nothing to do with them either.

There are very few Virgina Melzers here or on Ancestry.

Comment

• CMMcDonald
          FTDNA Customer
          • Mar 2015

Take reported ages with large amounts of salt, Dixie.

It looks like Doris was born in Virginia in 1940 and probably had a sister or cousin, Barbara Ellen, born a year later, both in Sussex County. A Doris Jean Melzer married in NC in 1962 and claimed to be 20 at that time. Too close to be a different woman.

Did not look for parents of the girls.

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by CMMcDonald View Post
            Take reported ages with large amounts of salt, Dixie.

It looks like Doris was born in Virginia in 1940 and probably had a sister or cousin, Barbara Ellen, born a year later, both in Sussex County. A Doris Jean Melzer married in NC in 1962 and claimed to be 20 at that time. Too close to be a different woman.

Did not look for parents of the girls.
            I did find the parents, Joseph Lee Melzer and Emily Lorraine Sheffield. Barbara Ellen is her sister. Doris claimed she was 19 on the divorce decree in 1960, her birthday is 13 June 1940. Doris goes by her middle name, Jean.

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jan 2015

Update

One of John Harrison Stewart's son agreed to a DNA test. We are not related. This is confirmation since reason given for the divorce was that Doris Jean was pregnant by another man.

I was able to make contact with one of her daughters. She started out being helpful and then cut me off, informing me there was no way I could be related to them.

I mailed a letter to Doris Jean's last know address over a week ago (phone has been disconnected). If I don't hear from her by the end of the month I will send another. In the meanwhile I am going to try and get contact information on some of her other relatives.

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jan 2015

The letter was returned today as undeliverable, no forwarding address available.

Comment

• keigh
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Sep 2013

You might try contacting the daughter again, and let her know that you'd just like medical information. Is there any thing in the family history medically that you should know about? Yes?/No? And if yes, what? If she'll give you that, then leave the situation alone, as obviously they don't want to be bothered by you.

Comment

• Lincoln
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Dec 2011

We are not related. This is confirmation since reason given for the divorce was that Doris Jean was pregnant by another man.
                    --- I don't think that is proof of anything.

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by keigh View Post
                      You might try contacting the daughter again, and let her know that you'd just like medical information. Is there any thing in the family history medically that you should know about? Yes?/No? And if yes, what? If she'll give you that, then leave the situation alone, as obviously they don't want to be bothered by you.
                      She just said her mother was healthy. She has blocked me on Facebook. I will be sending her a letter soon.

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                        --- I don't think that is proof of anything.
                        I think it proves the John H. Stewart is not my birth father.

Comment

• keigh
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dixie_Amazon View Post
                          One of John Harrison Stewart's son agreed to a DNA test. We are not related. This is confirmation since reason given for the divorce was that Doris Jean was pregnant by another man.

I was able to make contact with one of her daughters. She started out being helpful and then cut me off, informing me there was no way I could be related to them.

I mailed a letter to Doris Jean's last know address over a week ago (phone has been disconnected). If I don't hear from her by the end of the month I will send another. In the meanwhile I am going to try and get contact information on some of her other relatives.
                          I am assuming that the son was also not Doris Jean's son, but the son by another woman since you aren't related to him. But it doesn't prove that the son is John Stewart's biological son, unless John Stewart has also tested and showed up with a father/son amount of shared DNA.

Case in point, a man had a couple of kids with his first wife, who died and he remarried. His second wife, didn't get pregnant and went in for testing as she really wanted a child. Turns out that she was fine but the husband was shooting blanks. He'd have never known this except for his 2nd wife's insistence that he take the fertility tests.

Comment

• keigh
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dixie_Amazon View Post
                            She just said her mother was healthy. She has blocked me on Facebook. I will be sending her a letter soon.
                            You mentioned that one of John Stewart's sons had tested and you aren't related to him (the son).

Who, though, in Doris Jean's side of the family are you showing a relationship to. If it is one of her children as a half sibling to you, then you will have that as a base to continue a dialogue with her daughter. If, however, you haven't any matches that she or the daughter would know as part of their family, you could possibly be on the wrong track with the mother.

Comment

• Dixie_Amazon
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jan 2015

A third cousin match coupled with the ages on the divorce decree which matched the non-id info I got over the phone from Virginia DSS.

My listed father 38 and my mother as 20. I found the divorce decree based on that information.

Comment

Working...
                              X