Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else excited about a flood of new test results coming through?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone else excited about a flood of new test results coming through?

    Assuming Congress does the decent thing and passes a relief act that doesn't result in civil war, anybody else excited about the inevitable flood of test results that are going to post in like 6 months to a year from now?

  • #2
    Originally posted by benowicz View Post
    Assuming Congress does the decent thing and passes a relief act that doesn't result in civil war, anybody else excited about the inevitable flood of test results that are going to post in like 6 months to a year from now?
    What does this concern, the laws on military personnel or something else? So sorry to be ignorant, just wondered where this '' flood '' will come from, you make it sound exiting.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rhonda Hatton View Post

      What does this concern, the laws on military personnel or something else? So sorry to be ignorant, just wondered where this '' flood '' will come from, you make it sound exiting.
      Didn't you receive this email from FTDNA?

      "In these unsettling times, as we all continue to monitor the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation very closely, we find it important to maintain a clear line of communication with you, our customer. . . .
      These precautions include but are not limited to, implementing social distancing within the office by transitioning all non-essential personnel to work remotely, and regularly cleaning and disinfecting our facilities and equipment. Additional safety measures have been implemented to further protect team members involved in sample processing, and as an added precaution, if you feel you might have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you delay collecting and sending your samples back to us for processing until you are no longer deemed a risk by your health professional."

      FTDNA is definitely expecting a temporary slowdown in processing times and is even encouraging people to take their time returning kits. The *hopefully* short term economic implications of COVID-19 should be obvious. The length of this slow down is obviously contingent on Congress passing a bill that makes sense.

      Seems pretty clear to me that there's going to be a bottleneck. A long, slow dribble, maybe even a complete stop, punctuated by a frantically fast uptick.

      I don't want to get too in to the possible ways Congress can mess this up, but it is the contingency that the eventual uptick turns upon.

      But, you know--an uptick. Pretty cool, right?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by benowicz View Post

        Didn't you receive this email from FTDNA?

        "In these unsettling times, as we all continue to monitor the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation very closely, we find it important to maintain a clear line of communication with you, our customer. . . .
        These precautions include but are not limited to, implementing social distancing within the office by transitioning all non-essential personnel to work remotely, and regularly cleaning and disinfecting our facilities and equipment. Additional safety measures have been implemented to further protect team members involved in sample processing, and as an added precaution, if you feel you might have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you delay collecting and sending your samples back to us for processing until you are no longer deemed a risk by your health professional."

        FTDNA is definitely expecting a temporary slowdown in processing times and is even encouraging people to take their time returning kits. The *hopefully* short term economic implications of COVID-19 should be obvious. The length of this slow down is obviously contingent on Congress passing a bill that makes sense.

        Seems pretty clear to me that there's going to be a bottleneck. A long, slow dribble, maybe even a complete stop, punctuated by a frantically fast uptick.

        I don't want to get too in to the possible ways Congress can mess this up, but it is the contingency that the eventual uptick turns upon.

        But, you know--an uptick. Pretty cool, right?
        Yeah, I got that email, but didn't stop to think that a slow down in testing now would create a huge uptick later : I also hope that our chubby, round, beprickled friend COVID-19 doesn't delay the new My Origins too long, they're supposed to separate Anglo-Scottish from Irish and possibly German from French! And oh my goodness, Asia and Africa will be absolute puzzles when they get done with them!

        Comment


        • #5
          I guess I spoke too soon. Media accounts of the administration through which relief payments will be made say that payments to corporations will be immediate, but private individuals may never get one because they choose not to set up regional direct distribution centers, but instead send them through the mail based on years-old records that have enormous gaps in them. Most of you will be homeless.

          Never underestimate Congress' ability to screw something up. That's my mistake. I somehow believed that they understood the gravity of the situation and were responding in a serious manner.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by benowicz View Post
            send them through the mail based on years-old records that have enormous gaps in them. Most of you will be homeless.
            They'll use the address they have for you from last year's taxes. If you didn't file your taxes last year there may be trouble.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the response.

              But unfortunately, that's not the only issue. In order to avoid any partisan imputation, I'd suggest interested readers do their own research. There are plenty of mainstream news outlets who have written about this. I don't believe any of them who have analyzed this at length believe that most of the payments will be received within the next month, and it seems almost purposely designed to exclude the very people most in need of the payments--people working off the books or whose earnings are too small to have filed taxes.

              There is just no way that this bill will accomplish anything like what is needed or even what they claimed the bill would accomplish. It's a hornet's nest of overly complicated bureaucratic procedures designed to frustrate and delay cash payments when emergency relief is needed right now.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have to admit I do worry a little about the mail. I can't believe people think it's a good idea to vote by mail. I got someone else's mail today and who knows where any mail that was addressed to me went. A few years ago a mail carrier was prosecuted for not delivering the mail. He was lazy for a few days but intended to go back and deliver it but it got ahead of him. He actually rented a storage unit to store it all. Another carrier just decided not to deliver any more and threw all his undelivered mail into a dumpster. Stupidly the dumpster he used was near the post office and when they looked at the addresses they knew exactly whose route it was. If I were going to dump a bunch of mail that I was supposed to deliver in a dumpster, I would have at least put it in garbage bags and perhaps spread it around a little instead of dumping it all in one place. It also didn't help when everybody on his route started complaining about never getting any mail.
                Last edited by ewd76; 27th March 2020, 11:28 PM.

                Comment

                Working...
                X