Fun of finding family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun of finding family

I do so feel good when I can tell a person who has 5 people shown on their tree that the home person they're showing is my 5th cousin descended from my father's paternal line. My tree can take their line back to the 1700's. Finding new family is fun. Especially in these gloomy days.

It really is fun to find new family

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
      I do so feel good when I can tell a person who has 5 people shown on their tree that the home person they're showing is my 5th cousin descended from my father's paternal line. My tree can take their line back to the 1700's. Finding new family is fun. Especially in these gloomy days.
      Yes it is pretty exciting to dig in family lineage and history.

Comment

I am actually enjoying it too! Curiosity builds up dude!

Comment

Originally posted by raspchide View Post
          I am actually enjoying it too! Curiosity builds up dude!
          So true.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post

So true.
            Have you completed tracing your family lineage?

Comment

Have you completed tracing your family lineage?
              I don't think I'll ever be finished tracing my lineage. I'm stuck at my great grandmother on my mother's maternal side. I know that a Mary Jane Duncan married my 1st great grandfather, but other than that she was born in Texas in 1857 and her marriage license, and census records after she was married, I'm stumped.

Comment

What's your next move after that?

Comment

I'm not really sure. I'll start with my shared matches that also share with my first cousins and known 2nd cousins who share my mom's side. I need to look more closely into those that are on that list, but don't seem to share with my Sutton matches. Then see what information they have on their lines going back, looking for similar names popping up or locations.

Comment

What's your next move after that?
                    I should also mention that I'm doing this family research over at Ancestry where all my first cousin level matches are my first cousins from my mother's side. I can check their shared matches with me to sort out between those that match on my mother's paternal side or on her maternal side. Those that are showing matches with people I know share my mother's paternal side, I mark as mom's paternal line. Those that show matches with people I've determined are on my mom's maternal line have to be further defined to trace her mother's mother's ancestry. My grandmother's father's ancestry is now easier to determine as I have several matches who show a relationship to her father, my great grandfather, Sutton. And he came from a different area of the country than my great grandmother came from. I've begun to find matches that share my DNA and those of my first cousins, but aren't sharing DNA with people linked to me and them through the Sutton line. I'm making a list of names and locations to see how we might connect. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X