Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon Says "NO" To Home DNA Tests

From multiple news sources:

The take-home DNA kits that can help identify family members, potential health risks or your genetic racial heritage could pose security risks to U.S. service members, according to an internal Pentagon memo.

"These DTC genetic and could expose personal and genetic information, and potentially create unintended security consequences and increased risk to the joint force and mission," Joseph D. Kernan, undersecretary of defense for intelligence, and James N. Stewart, acting undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness wrote referring to the direct-to-consumer tests.

My guess is the Pentagon is very worried about China's use of DNA for surveillance and suppression.

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
    From multiple news sources:

The take-home DNA kits that can help identify family members, potential health risks or your genetic racial heritage could pose security risks to U.S. service members, according to an internal Pentagon memo.

"These DTC genetic and could expose personal and genetic information, and potentially create unintended security consequences and increased risk to the joint force and mission," Joseph D. Kernan, undersecretary of defense for intelligence, and James N. Stewart, acting undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness wrote referring to the direct-to-consumer tests.

My guess is the Pentagon is very worried about China's use of DNA for surveillance and suppression.

I agree with your guess about China surveillance.

Comment

There could also be other reasons. Back when I was in the army, southern white guys were the lifer backbone. That suggests many of them had family trees going back to William-the-Conqueror. Now, minorities are increasingly becoming the majority in many of the units (I'm just speculating), and many don't know who their biological father really is. That would make for social friction. The army is supposedly a meritocracy, and not of social stratification based on one's family tree, ha ha.
      Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 30th December 2019, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
        There could also be other reasons. Back when I was in the army, southern white guys were the lifer backbone. That suggests many of them had family trees going back to William-the-Conqueror. Now, minorities are increasingly becoming the majority in many of the units (I'm just speculating), and many don't know who their biological father really is. That would make for social friction. The army is supposedly a meritocracy, and not of social stratification based on one's family tree, ha ha.
        Are you seriously suggesting that “minorities” don’t know who their father’s are (ie.- their minority mother’s are engaging in indiscriminate sexual practices to the point that they don’t know who fathered their children??!!) & that this incredibly racist view has created an inferiority complex because white southerners DO know their paternity (of course) all the way back to the ark & when they are intermingled in the armed forces the PENTAGON thinks it is putting their lives at risk & is not recommended to do DNA testing because of SOCIAL FRICTION & RACIST IDEOLOGY?

Comment

"advising military personnel not to do at-home DNA tests" seems to be a long way from saying 'NO'.

Comment

An enemy could go to GEDmatch and find relatives of a captive and use the threat of harm to gain cooperation and intelligence.

Comment

The enemy might have an easier time finding relatives with Google and Facebook! I think it is too late for most Americans. For those with European ancestry, I read that about 50% can be identified with the combination of a DNA sample and a genealogist with good tree building/detective skills. Happy New Year to all of the forum participants!

Comment

For those who want to make the military a career, it behooves them to go along with the Pentagon rules, etc. You can't get far without a security clearance. And that ^ would likely be included in the investigation.

Comment

Working...
                X