Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an echo in here? :)

Hi All,

I've been checking in on my matches only rarely, both here and on Gedmatch.

I've noticed that I don't seem to get very many matches any more.

Maybe I'm just jaded, and ignore however many poor matches I do get - but it seems to me as though there may have been a large decline in the number of people taking the Family Finder test.

I'm wondering if the (relatively) recent news about DNA matching being used for law enforcement purposes has left a bad impression on the public at large.

Does anyone have a similar impression, or actual knowledge about levels of testing? If there has been a decline, is it due to the news, or has DNA testing just been a fad?

https://thednageek.com/genealogical-...-growth-slows/

You can read what Leah Larkins has to say.

Comment

Many of us several years ago felt the need to test at many companies, fishing in many ponds.

Today, the trend toward testing seems to be "One, and Done."
      Last edited by Biblioteque; 30th August 2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It appears that my suspicions may be correct.

For me, the worst effect of this situation is that with fewer tests (and therefore fewer matches) coming in, the time required to make breakthroughs is magnified.

I'm an adoptee, and even though I've found my bio family, there are still some questions that could be answered. For example, I know that I have a half-brother who is likely unaware of the rest of the family (we don't know the name, only that he exists). Some kind of match relating to that could pop up at any time... but statistically, it will take longer now.

I guess I'll have to be happy that there still seems to be growth, albeit at a slower rate.

Comment

At that "other company", I previously got 100-150 matches a day for years. Now, less than 15 per day, with seldom a tree in sight.

Hopefully, your half brother, or one of his offspring, will test in the future.

Comment

My family members never got many matches here due to being descendants of fairly recent immigrants from Italy, Germany and France. The only ancestor with Colonial American (mostly UK) ancestry is my maternal great-grandfather, so my mother gets more matches than the rest of us. Still, she got about a third of what most people here report. I tested her at "the other company" and every day I have always looked at every match she received there. She used to get lots, but now it might average 5 a day maybe.

I tested her at another company and uploaded her data to another and to Gedmatch because I am trying to break down some brick walls in the Colonial American line. I have noticed that, besides getting a lot fewer matches, the matches she does get show significantly less DNA with her, usually much less than 10 cM.

I think when I chose FTDNA to test most of my family, I made the wrong choice. But they seemed the best back around 2010-2012. They don't seem to be going anywhere with Family Finder.

Is there something going on at Gedmatch? They used to highlight newly uploaded matches in color so you could spot them, but I haven't seen one in several weeks.

Comment

Over at the other company I can say that my Ancestry.com numbers have decreased a bit. On July 11, I had 105,327 matches and now about 50 days later, I'm only up to 108, 024 which is about 55 a day on average. I had been getting up to 150 to 200 a day which was a bit overwhelming. I have discovered that my mother's grandfather was not the son of the man I thought was my 2nd great grandfather, a Henry Sutton. The ThruLines aren't showing me any matches from people who descend from his other children, while I have dozens of matches through another Sutton line, The delights of discovering new DNA matches.

Comment

keigh, I am still behind you with 87,261.

Comment

I thought took tests at Ancestry, 23 & me , & here. My father is adopted. 23 & me has been the worst by far. No trees posted & no one posts surnames or responds back. And the matches are poor. I found my father’s birth father by using Ancestry. I get more matches there but same issues- no responses. Some have trees. Most just tested to see their ethnicity. I rarely get new results here anymore & if I do (I have 3 accounts) they are all in the 5th cousin or beyond range & have no info. I think the market was bombarded & we are seeing a slow down which will continue.

Comment

I recieved 18 new FTDNA matches this past week. That number seems pretty normal to me. I have tested with all 4 of the major DNA testing companies and I still think that FTDNA is the best. Most of my matches come from Sweden, Norway, and Finland and I think that there is a slight uptick in my matching numbers during the winter months.

Comment

I have 7 new FTDNA matches in the past 7 days.

I find the different opinions about FTDNA to be very interesting. I tested my brother and myself first here at FTDNA 3 years ago. FTNDA has turned out to be totally useless.

2 years ago I tested at Ancestry and in early 2018 uploaded the 2 FTDNA raw data sets to MyHeritage.

My ancestors are from 3 countries: Denmark, Ireland and Poland.

Ancestry is the best for my Irish and Polish matches. MyHeritage is best for my Danish matches. MyHeritage also has a fair number of smaller cM Swedish and Norwegian matches for my Danish DNA. No useful Danish matches here at FTDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
                        Over at the other company I can say that my Ancestry.com numbers have decreased a bit. On July 11, I had 105,327 matches and now about 50 days later, I'm only up to 108, 024 which is about 55 a day on average. I had been getting up to 150 to 200 a day which was a bit overwhelming. I have discovered that my mother's grandfather was not the son of the man I thought was my 2nd great grandfather, a Henry Sutton. The ThruLines aren't showing me any matches from people who descend from his other children, while I have dozens of matches through another Sutton line, The delights of discovering new DNA matches.
                        keigh, how are you getting a total count of your Ancestry matches with the new scrolling format?

With the old page format I had 360 pages with 50 matches a page for just under 18,000 matches.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
                          I have 7 new FTDNA matches in the past 7 days.

I find the different opinions about FTDNA to be very interesting. I tested my brother and myself first here at FTDNA 3 years ago. FTNDA has turned out to be totally useless.

2 years ago I tested at Ancestry and in early 2018 uploaded the 2 FTDNA raw data sets to MyHeritage.

My ancestors are from 3 countries: Denmark, Ireland and Poland.

Ancestry is the best for my Irish and Polish matches. MyHeritage is best for my Danish matches. MyHeritage also has a fair number of smaller cM Swedish and Norwegian matches for my Danish DNA. No useful Danish matches here at FTDNA.
                          I'm curious if you are able to get your Ancestry.com matches to transfer their DNA to Gedmatch.com so you can view segment comparisons. I haven't found much luck with my Ancestry.com matches to transfer or even respond to communication. I have found the FTDNA matches to be more responsive and share a common interest in genetic genealogy. That said, I'm still glad that I have used all 4 of the common DNA websites to obtain my relevant matches. Me and my father had always been curious about who his father was and we eventually found who that person was with a little help from each of the 4.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
                            keigh, how are you getting a total count of your Ancestry matches with the new scrolling format?
                            With the old page format I had 360 pages with 50 matches a page for just under 18,000 matches.
                            I really liked to old format better. If I was on page 4 viewing matches I could return to the same general area on my next visit.

For match count sign into your kit, click on the 'View All Matches' button, click on the 'Groups' button and you'll see several different counts, including 'All Matches'. I have 124,813.

Comment

Jim Barrett: I personally prefer the old pages method as well, for exactly the same reason you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X