Family Tree time machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree time machine

Waiting for DNA results is a bit like waiting for a baby to arrive - but in reverse.
    You might even hear "Congratulations - you are the proud great-great-great grandson of Wild Bill Rivermouth III" or whatever.
    Just sent back my kit today, last kit I posted took a month to arrive from overseas. Hopefully my bigY results will come before end of year.

Maybe my brain works in strange ways, but I had the thought if I could go to TimeMachines-R-US and get a time machine, I could go back in time and get/see documents I need, check out some facts or even get ancient cheek swabs that way.

Imagine going to time of King Tutankhamun and getting a cheek swab whilst he slept (I doubt you could get him to understand or even sign the form), and then sending it in under the name Ken Tut, and confusing the lab people as to a 'recent' example of belonging to haplogroup R-M269 and an autosomal match to Akhenaten (his father).
    btw.... he later found out his daddy was a 'mummy' ;-)

Maybe could get Cleopatra's sample and upload as Cleo Patra.
    Or find relative of "Ötzi the Iceman" (Europe's oldest natural human mummy) and submit that as "Iceman Jones".

What would you do if could go back in time in regards to your family tree?

Originally posted by Wahski View Post
    Waiting for DNA results is a bit like waiting for a baby to arrive - but in reverse.
    You might even hear "Congratulations - you are the proud great-great-great grandson of Wild Bill Rivermouth III" or whatever.
    Just sent back my kit today, last kit I posted took a month to arrive from overseas. Hopefully my bigY results will come before end of year.

Maybe my brain works in strange ways, but I had the thought if I could go to TimeMachines-R-US and get a time machine, I could go back in time and get/see documents I need, check out some facts or even get ancient cheek swabs that way.

Imagine going to time of King Tutankhamun and getting a cheek swab whilst he slept (I doubt you could get him to understand or even sign the form), and then sending it in under the name Ken Tut, and confusing the lab people as to a 'recent' example of belonging to haplogroup R-M269 and an autosomal match to Akhenaten (his father).
    btw.... he later found out his daddy was a 'mummy' ;-)

Maybe could get Cleopatra's sample and upload as Cleo Patra.
    Or find relative of "Ötzi the Iceman" (Europe's oldest natural human mummy) and submit that as "Iceman Jones".

What would you do if could go back in time in regards to your family tree?

Going back to the 11th century would be interesting. My paternal ancestor who lived 1038-1093 fought in the Battle of Hastings, 1066; I would enjoy witnessing that battle.

Comment

Ah, but you can go back in time. You can go to the Re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings which is held on the site every 5 years or so. Re-enactments are fun in England. We also went to the Wars of the Roses Tewkesbury and Bosworth battle Re-enactments. England's best kept secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
        Ah, but you can go back in time. You can go to the Re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings which is held on the site every 5 years or so. Re-enactments are fun in England. We also went to the Wars of the Roses Tewkesbury and Bosworth battle Re-enactments. England's best kept secret.
        Thanks for letting me know about this, maybe I can get a video of a re-enactment. I am a caretaker for my 98 yr old dad, so travel is out of the question.

Comment

Great idea! And, yes, there are several YouTube videos. Hopefully, your dad is able to enjoy them with you.

Comment

Via FTDNA I am a DNA proven relative of Ötzi the Iceman. Of note, my other matches agree with my ancient gedmatch results.

Comment

Originally posted by b434170 View Post
              Via FTDNA I am a DNA proven relative of Ötzi the Iceman. Of note, my other matches agree with my ancient gedmatch results.
              Amazing, when did Otzi the iceman live?

Comment

Ötzi (not sure how that is pronounced maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHd6-17wsrM) lived about 5,300 years ago (circa 3281BC )

Can see an article about it at http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2013/10/16/living-relatives-of-otzi-the-iceman-mummy-found-in-austria/

His maternal line is thought to be extinct, but 19 out of 3,500 west Austrian blood donors shared a unique genetic mutation (in their DNA) with the mummified ice man.

Comment

Originally posted by Wahski View Post
                  Ötzi (not sure how that is pronounced maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHd6-17wsrM) lived about 5,300 years ago (circa 3281BC )

Can see an article about it at http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2013/10/16/living-relatives-of-otzi-the-iceman-mummy-found-in-austria/

His maternal line is thought to be extinct, but 19 out of 3,500 west Austrian blood donors shared a unique genetic mutation (in their DNA) with the mummified ice man.
                  Thanks for sharing this with me, really interesting.

Comment

Working...
                  X