Genetic Prediction of Male Pattern Baldness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Prediction of Male Pattern Baldness

Male pattern baldness can have substantial psychosocial effects, and it has been phenotypically linked to adverse health outcomes such as prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease. We explored the genetic architecture of the trait using data from over ...

This is not genealogy but a worthwhile study of genetics - a link from Kitty Cooper.

Genetic prediction of male pattern baldness is a relatively new field of research and more studies need to be done to understand the underlying genetics of baldness.

Comment

This article is a fascinating look at how genetics can be used to predict male pattern baldness.

Comment

Originally posted by raynellbastie View Post
        This article is a fascinating look at how genetics can be used to predict male pattern baldness.
        As the article explains, the MTHFR gene has been linked to an increased risk of baldness, and the presence of this gene can be used to predict which men are more likely to experience hair loss. It's interesting to see how far genetic research has come, and I'm looking forward to seeing more research in this area as I also suffer from baldness. Anyway, I already made my appointment at newjerseyhairtransplantclinic.com, and I can wait to see my hair growing back. I am so excited!
        ​

Comment

I thank God that I have kept most of my hair, although it's well on its way to turning completely white. When I was a kid, it was blond, then, sometime in my twenties, it turned dark, with, as more than one person told me, "red highlights".

Here's what AncestryDNA says about my likelihood of male pattern baldness:

Originally posted by AncestryDNA
          Richard, your DNA suggests you (or your close male relatives) have a low chance of hair loss.
          ​It was a different story for my second great grandfather (see the photo below). Glad I inherited his Y chromosome but not his male pattern baldness!

Stevens_James Holmes Stevens Sr. 1835-1902.jpg

Comment

This recent study (Nov. 2022) - Complementary Evolution of Coding and Noncoding Sequence Underlies Mammalian Hairlessness
            -----------------------------
            Whales, elephants, humans, and naked mole-rats [nice to be compared to naked mole-rats] all share a somewhat rare trait for mammals: their bodies are covered with little to no hair. The common ancestors of each of these species are considerably hairier which must mean that hairlessness evolved multiple times independently.

Using a computational approach, Kowalczyk et al. identified parts of the genome that have evolved similarly in mammalian species that have lost their hair.

Kowalczyk et al. describe the parts of the genome that may be involved in controlling hair growth. Once their findings are validated, they could be used to develop treatments for hair loss in humans. Additionally, their computational approach could be applied to other examples of convergent evolution where genomic data is available, allowing scientists to better understand how the same traits evolve in different species.
            ------------------------
            Study link:
            ​https://elifesciences.org/articles/76911
            Last edited by mgmcdonaldx; 27 January 2023, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X