Too many matches, too long a list?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many matches, too long a list?

Is anyone having problems over at Ancestry from having too many matches? I think I've reached critical mass with the Ancestry computer's trying to load my matches list. It starts loading and never seems to get all the information in. This makes trying to use the features, like share cousins, impossible. Since the middle of January I've added over 2,000 new matches and the computer has just been spinning it's wheels since then. I'm going to suggest to Ancestry that they develop a filter system as FTDNA as that can limit which matches you want to look at. A cut off point of say 15 cM shared would be nice. For me that would mean that I'd have about 180 pages of matches rather than having about 1,800 as I have now. Is 15 cM a reasonable cut off point or should it be higher?

I am at Ancestry and see no problem as they only display 50 matches at a time.

Might be the general Ancestry "not working for some people" problem.

You can try the usual different browser, different computer and/or different ISP to see if the problem goes away.

Plenty of Ancestry complaints at the "Ancestry Site Comments" message board.

Comment

I switched from Google Chrome to Edge to see my Ancestry DNA pages. Not a choice I liked making.

Comment

I finally switched over to Chrome after talking to a real person on Ancestry. I'd been writing back and forth with their community service associates, but was getting nowhere fast. The fifty matches on a page wasn't the problem, it was the time it's been taking to get real information on those matches. I'm now working with a list that's over 90,000 matches and though I could see the matches, the ability to see their trees was taking forever, or to use the share matches feature, or the location feature. It had reached a point that the list never fully loaded. Chrome seems to be handling the problem. I'm still getting matches at a horrendous rate, about 200 new people a day. I will never even have a chance to look through all of my matches in my lifetime.

Comment

I can't even figure out how to find out how many matches I have at Ancestry. How do you get it to show you all?

Comment

I believe they show 20 matches per page. If you start with page 2000 you'll either see matches or you'll see "No matches found". Adjust the page number up or down as needed. Once your are close to the point where you switch between seeing matches and the "No matches found" message multiply the page number by 20 and you'll have a very close value for your number of matches.

Comment

Ancestry shows 50 matches per page, but since they don't tell you the number of matches you have you need to make a guess as to how many pages of matches you might have. I put in a number 1600 and click on that. It turned up that I had a little over 1600 match pages. What I do now is keep track of the number of the last page I reached recently. On Feb 3 my last full page was 1809, so today I put in 1810 in the page number box at the top of the first match page (number one) I then simply clicked up the page number one page at a time until I reached 1818 which had only 2 matches on it. I then multiplied 1817 by 50 and added 2. This gives me my total match number. So I gained 386 new matches in two days. And now Chrome is spinning it's wheels.

Comment

keigh, my Chrome has also been spinning its blue wheel at that OTHER company for a couple of hours. They have gotten "too big for their britches" and do not have the IT in place to handle the traffic, IMHO. They have become an albatross floating in the sea of the unknown, with no playbook to follow. They grew too fast to plan an infrastructure to handle their business. So sad.
                Last edited by Biblioteque; 6th February 2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
                  keigh, my Chrome has also been spinning its blue wheel at that OTHER company for a couple of hours. They have gotten "too big for their britches" and do not have the IT in place to handle the traffic, IMHO. They have become an albatross floating in the sea of the unknown, with no playbook to follow. They grew too fast to plan an infrastructure to handle their business. So sad.
                  That's exactly what I told them. But they just don't seem to care. All they can suggest is clear your history and change your browser. Did both and now I still have the endless circling wheel. I also suggested that they put in additional filters based on amount of DNA shared. If I could just eliminate all the moderate confidence cousins (shared DNA level of 16 cM or below) I'd only have 160 pages of matches to deal with, not 1818 pages. That would load a great deal quicker. At the rate the new matches are pouring in, I'm going to have over 91,000 matches in a couple of days. Yikes!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Biblioteque

I couldn't figure out how to send a private message. Here's what I put in and had the message center say sorry on.

I'm not having problems navigating the old format of share DNA matches, however the new format for the same matches is giving me fits. Instead of being able to page by page of matches, the scroll down format is never ending. And it skips as I reach the bottom of my screen each time. I have over 96,000 matches to scroll through so I hate the new format. Before I'd simply make a notation of the page number the match I was working on. New format I can't.

I liked the format for the old individual share match's page, the new one takes up too much room with things like the photo graph used by the match. I use my avatar, the same one as I use here. It gets sized to a photo about 3.5 inches square next to whatever the match has used. Most people don't bother with a photo, so the screen get filled up with their initials. Useless. The new match page seems just to be overdone cosmetic fluff.

The Trueline Beta idea looked good until I realized that the computer was reading all my floating branches for information. I ditched it and went back to Circles.

The Tags might be of value, I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

I'm going to be really upset if they decide to go to using the shared match BETA program. The other two, I'll just ignore. I think the Trueline idea is going to screw up a lot of peoples' trees as the unwary will be adding the info shown as if it is actually true.

This might amuse you. Since Jan 31st I've gained 6,668 new shared DNA matches. At that rate I should be hitting 100,000 matches by the end of the month. My wheels will probably start to spin again as Ancestry chokes over the numbers. Keigh

Comment

keigh, I think if you make your tree Private and unsearchable, then it will default back to the old format. Works for me.

Comment

I had to clear all my caches and delete all my cookies to view the matches page after the recent Ancestry changes. I use Chrome and/or Firefox. Neither browser was working correctly after the Ancestry changes. I have a very small number of matches compared to the posters here. I have 111 4th cousins or closer. You can now see the total number of matches and new matches you have by clicking on the "ALL MATCHES" tab. I have a total of 8,453 matches and the pages wouldn't load.

Comment

Originally posted by rproto View Post
                          I had to clear all my caches and delete all my cookies to view the matches page after the recent Ancestry changes. I use Chrome and/or Firefox. Neither browser was working correctly after the Ancestry changes. I have a very small number of matches compared to the posters here. I have 111 4th cousins or closer. You can now see the total number of matches and new matches you have by clicking on the "ALL MATCHES" tab. I have a total of 8,453 matches and the pages wouldn't load.
                          To get the "All Matches" tab, you must first use the top menu item "Extras," then select "Ancestry Labs." On that page, enable the "New & Improved DNA Matches" Beta. This will give you the three buttons: All Matches (including choices for other groups of matches and their counts); Add a filter; and Search.

Comment

Yes, you must first enable the "New and Improved DNA Matches" as per KATM's post above before you can get to the tab I referenced which gives you the matches counts.

Comment

I'm not having the loading problem with either the old format or the BETA program. My matches, all 1940 pages, load quickly. My problem is maneuvering through the list of BETA matches as Ancestry has eliminated the paging format. In BETA I have to scroll through 4,000 matches using the Close Filter, rather than simply being able to put in a page number and getting 50 matches. Trying to maneuver through 97,000 matches as a single scroll is impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X