Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Top My 2,000 Matches at GEDmatch, All Over 16.9 cMs, Total Seg?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Top My 2,000 Matches at GEDmatch, All Over 16.9 cMs, Total Seg?

For comparison, and just curious if others are getting high cMs matches at Gedmatch.

My spouse: 2,000 matches, all over 12.5 cMs, total seg.
    Last edited by Biblioteque; 3rd December 2018, 07:27 AM.

I am only 14.9 cM at 2000, but I manage a kit for someone who is 19% Ashkenazi (but a generation younger than me). That person is at 17.1 cM after the first 2000 kits.

Comment

Oh, forgot to say I do not have any Ashkenazi; and thank you for refreshing my memory that Ashkenazim tend to have more matches.

Although, I do have Colonial America which I have read will also tend to have more matches.

New matches at GEDmatch have been slow for me lately; but, hopefully, with all of the recent sales, that will pick up.
      Last edited by Biblioteque; 3rd December 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

On GEDmatch, I have many 9.4 cM matches at the end of my list. My top match is 75 cM, 2nd best 67 cM, 3rd best 43 cM. By the time I reach the 5th closest match on my list, I'm in the 30s cM range. I think my results are mostly due to small families in recent generations. I don't have much early American ancestry however I do have quite a few recent Scandinavian immigrant ancestors and DNA testing is quite popular in Scandinavia. I'm hoping the holiday DNA kit price wars will help!

Comment

Yes, I agree dna testing is quite popular in Scandinavia since I am getting an abundant number of matches. It is very frustrating because my Scandinavian line is behind a brick wall.

Comment

OK, my brother and I are 25% Danish and I am seeing very few Danish matches.

My best number of Danish matches is at MyHeritage. Not much for Danish matches here at FTDNA, Ancestry and GEDmatch.

Best of all at MyHeritage is more than 12 people have large Danish family trees that intersect with mine. So far only 4 of them have DNA tested. 2 at 3rd cousin level and 2 at 4th cousin level. It could be the case that more of the people with Danish family trees that intersect with mine have DNA tested but we don't share DNA.
            Last edited by jimbirk; 5th December 2018, 01:37 PM. Reason: More thought given to post.

Comment

jimbirk: Yes, there is a randomness to dna and many people believe that at 4th C level, we will dna match with only ~ 50% of our cousins ; and at 5th C level, ~10%. A few others say they are doing TGs farther upstream (back in time) beyond 5th C.

My percentages for Scandanavian are:

FTDNA - 4%
              MH - 16.5%
              23 - 4.3%

My percentages for Sweden are:

Ancestry - 7%

And my abundance of Scandanavian matches are at MH.
              Last edited by Biblioteque; 5th December 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

My mother has over 2000 matches at 14.7cM or above (and something like 3400 at 20cM or above on Ancestry, and 7500 over 16cM, with a total number of over 100K all the way down to 6cM...over 2,000 pages of matches at 50 matches per page).

Comment

C_J_H, Thanks for sharing. Your number of matches at that "other testing company" are astounding.
                  Last edited by Biblioteque; 13th December 2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
                    C_J_H, Thanks for sharing. Your number of matches at that "other testing company" are astounding.
                    My mother has colonial American ancestry back to the 1600's on all but one or two lines, and a significant number of her ancestors were Maryland Catholics who later emigrated to Kentucky. Catholic Marylanders form something of an endogamous group, since there wasn't much Catholic immigration after 1700, and people intermarried within the same gene pool of original settlers for the next 200 years; she has matches on GEDmatch who share as much as 50cM whose closest relationship is 6th or 7th cousin, but they're 6th or 7th cousins on one line, 8th cousins on two more, 8C1R on another 3, etc.

Comment

When you go back to 7-8th C, do you also check to see if you have an X match with them, doing a one-to-one comparison on the X at Gedmatch? I once read that the X will tend to show shared matches further back in time than atDna. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
                        When you go back to 7-8th C, do you also check to see if you have an X match with them, doing a one-to-one comparison on the X at Gedmatch? I once read that the X will tend to show shared matches further back in time than atDna. Just curious.
                        Yes, and some of them have relatively significant X matches (16cM X match with a sixth cousin, but the source of the X match is something of a mystery and requires more investigation, since my mother's line to the known common ancestors is through males...there may be another connection further back, though, because of colonial endogamy; my mother's paternal grandparents were 8th cousins).

Comment

@ jimbirk Re: Where are all of the Danish people testing?

Here is my experience: My Danish ancestry consists of a single 2x great-grandparent who immigrated to USA. I match with 48 Danish DNA test takers on MyHeritage. When I click on the Danish flag on the DNA Overview page on MH, and look through the trees posted by these matching Danish citizens, I do find my 2x great-grandmother on some of those trees. I also find her on American trees on Ancestry and many other Danish trees on MH. I have no idea how many Danish matches I have on FTDNA because of the lack of filters and trees in many instances! I do believe that close to half of my matches on FTDNA are Scandinavians based on email addresses and non-English alphabet alone though.

I attended a Swedish genealogy seminar a few months ago and one of the Swedish genealogists mentioned that FTDNA is the preferred test in Sweden. I don't see much Danish action on Ancestry. I have a handful of useful Swedish and Norwegian matches on Ancestry with good trees but not nearly as many as on FTDNA and MyHeritage. I heard once that Finland has the highest percentage of test takers, and this is definitely reflected on my match lists at FTDNA and MH. I have a very tiny amount of Finnish ancestry on the paper trail, all people living in Sweden long before anyone came to USA.

I do love the "flag summary" (number of DNA matches living in each country) on the MyHeritage DNA overview page! I is a good reflection of my ethnic background and useful for research. I also love looking at the "outlier flags" to see how I might be connected to people living in exotic places!

Here are my MyHeritage DNA match flag totals for the Scandinavian countries:

Norway 982
                          Sweden 497
                          Finland 211
                          Denmark 48
                          Greenland 2
                          Faroe Islands 1

How about the rest of you? Do you find the flag summary at MH helpful and interesting? Where are you finding your Scandinavian cousins?

Comment

epiphyte: Have you considered having the full sequence mtDNA done? My flag numbers do not compare to yours, but I have a handful of Scandanavian (mostly Swedish) mtDna matches.

Comment

Working...
                            X