Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sex vs. gender in genalogy, including genetic genealogy

Alberta man changes gender on government IDs for cheaper car insurance

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/change-gender-identification-insurance-alberta-1.4754416

Consequently any identification document, including the passport, indicates that he is she...

Mr. W.

I'll bet it didn't change the person's DNA.

Comment

I can see a certain level of humour in this, especially since he was clearly fed up with the rates that applied to him.

However, he is only doing this for that reason and any future genealogists will surely find this information of the sudden change in gender and the associated news about this individual.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        Alberta man changes gender on government IDs for cheaper car insurance

Mr. W.
        I wonder why the governing body doesn't use the same test used by the Olympics to determine sex. This isn't something we choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          I wonder why the governing body doesn't use the same test used by the Olympics to determine sex. This isn't something we choose.
          Biologically, there is biological gender, which is determined by XX and XY chromosomes for the vast majority of people, and there are biological hermaphrodites (XXY), although those are rare.

Then there is gender identity. People who do not identify with their biological gender and select the opposite gender or nonbinary gender X.

This is something future genealogists will have to contend with. For now, I would label the person who provides the sperm as the father, and the person who provides the egg as the mother. But with sperm and egg donors, surrogate mothers and other situations made possible by science in the future, a person may end up with more that 2 biological parents.

Comment

Originally posted by EricDu View Post
            Then there is gender identity. People who do not identify with their biological gender and select the opposite gender or nonbinary gender X.
            But that doesn't change their sex/gender. We are talking about DNA and wanting to be different doesn't change our DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
              But that doesn't change their sex/gender. We are talking about DNA and wanting to be different doesn't change our DNA.
              A few days ago, I ran a GEDmatch 'X one-to-many' to select some kits for comparison. I was looking at kits for males who tested with Family Finder. Though a male only has a single X-chromosome, Family Finder in its data doubles it up and it shows as a full match (green) on the GEDmatch. I came across one kit purported to be male and the given name was masculine, but it had lots of yellow in the matches.

Just something else for the researcher to be aware of.

Jack

Comment

Working...
              X