How did you find the forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fern View Post
    The 2013 version would have been easier to navigate - it certainly had fewer forums to choose from. But I much prefer the "look" of this about-to-be-abandoned version. The white space, the light colours, and the overall "lightness" of the pages make them easier on the eye (and the brain).
    For those who might not have noticed, all the websites have been or are being reconfigured towards cell phone access. Ergo, all the white spaces in any screen space are increasing to accommodate that usage. (IMO, internet access by cell phones is now involved with catering to what essentially has become the poor man's computer. That attracts a much greater volume of users, but the functionality of existing facilities, such as easier site navigation when using a desktop computer becomes diminished or hampered by the revisions.)

Whatever we might prefer to have in the new version, it's too late now to ask for it. The new version will have been designed and developed well before Darren gave us his heads-up.
    So true. Darren is only the messenger. The 'new and improved' version of anything is always decided by those in the highest positions of authority.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Comment

Originally posted by Carpathian View Post
      For those who might not have noticed, all the websites have been or are being reconfigured towards cell phone access. Ergo, all the white spaces in any screen space are increasing to accommodate that usage. (IMO, internet access by cell phones is now involved with catering to what essentially has become the poor man's computer. That attracts a much greater volume of users, but the functionality of existing facilities, such as easier site navigation when using a desktop computer becomes diminished or hampered by the revisions.)(
      An excellent example is the mess Ancestry recently made of Find-A-Grave. The old version was much more "User Friendly" for desktops and laptops.

Comment

The rational assumption based on experience is that the new forum will be worse than the existing one.

The only question is how much worse. We will be finding out shortly.

Comment

I've been around here since about 2010. There have been a lot of updates to a lot of different features. About the only one I can think of that was an improvement was the addition of the matrix tool. The rest have resulted in reduction or loss of functionality. Most seem to have been attempts to see how much more difficult they could make things for their customers. The are making DNA tests (autosomal anyway) just about useless, following Ancestry's lead.

How much of this is stupidity and how much is deliberate, I don't know.

We can no longer search our matches for place names either. That's another feature gone. 23andMe's tools now far surpass FTDNA's in my opinion. It used to be the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
            I've been around here since about 2010. There have been a lot of updates to a lot of different features. About the only one I can think of that was an improvement was the addition of the matrix tool. The rest have resulted in reduction or loss of functionality. Most seem to have been attempts to see how much more difficult they could make things for their customers. The are making DNA tests (autosomal anyway) just about useless, following Ancestry's lead.

How much of this is stupidity and how much is deliberate, I don't know.
            I've noticed that with many web services the trend is toward keeping up with whatever novelties that their competitors implement. Thus it is about newness and results in playing catch up with a "we have it too" mentality. The basis seems to be that of marketing based upon glamour and fashion. The changes made don't need to make things function better, they only have to make the site or the tool to look more attractive.

The designers are not the users. If they had to use what they designed, they might realize the shortcomings of their product. It might bruise their egos for them to face or admit it.

23andMe's tools now far surpass FTDNA's in my opinion. It used to be the other way around.
            True. When 23andme implemented its redesigned format it was a total disaster. Few things functioned properly due to an apparent lack of testing before it was rolled out. It was designed by a team of young in-house people (in their twenties) as they admitted in their blogs. Once the new "experience" was installed they didn't know how to fix it. They were more interested in congratulating themselves on their supposed masterpiece and turning a deaf ear to complaints. It took months and years to finally get it working smoothly with all the bugs out of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
              I have a browser window that I open every morning with all the tabs open as they were the previous day, one tab being the forum. When I lost this set-up after an update and had to recreate the tabs, I had the hardest time finding the forum!

Are they trying to discourage use of the forum? I have noticed fewer posts since they made it hard to find.
              WoW! I found this thread IMMEDIATELY after I posted all these same complaints! I really hope someone at FTDNA Admistration gets this changed ASAP! Keep the threads alive people!

Comment

Moderator, can you please move this thread topic to the area where we customers make suggestions? I think "Feature Requests?"

Comment

Working...
                X