NBC feature on Amerasians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC feature on Amerasians

I wonder if there might be an uptick in attempts to transfer raw DNA to FTDNA following the NBC program a few days ago on Amerasians searching for their fathers?

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I wonder if there might be an uptick in attempts to transfer raw DNA to FTDNA following the NBC program a few days ago on Amerasians searching for their fathers?
    I'm old enough to understand the term "Amerasian" and what is meant by it. I also know that terms are constantly being challenged and changing, usually such that no one might become offended by them. Longstanding terms that were applied usually lead to protestation by those who are offended by them.

Now, decades later we still have Asians, Caucasians (AKA "white" people) and other classifications of race that still are applicable. Some accept that race exists, and some deny that it does and argue that it no longer exists. So called "Amerasians" are of mixed race - not that there is anything wrong with anyone being of mixed race.

"American" is not a racial classification. Nationality and race are two different things. Maybe it's time to come up with a more fitting label for "Amerasians". Or perhaps no label is necessary at all - unless we are still obsessed with race, labeling, wanting to label, or to be labeled.

Comment

Working...
    X