serial killer caught with help from genealogy DNA database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/s...old-cases.html

Law enforcement continues to use DNA in cold cases.

Comment

If the forensic labs were smart they would figure out how to fake a saliva sample with their DNA samples. As nice as Gedmatch has been, I have many, many more close matches with Ancestry.com. Not everyone uploads to Gedmatch.

But it would come at a price of at least $69 per test run.

Comment

Originally posted by ec1970 View Post
        If the forensic labs were smart they would figure out how to fake a saliva sample with their DNA samples. As nice as Gedmatch has been, I have many, many more close matches with Ancestry.com. Not everyone uploads to Gedmatch.

But it would come at a price of at least $69 per test run.
        And how many of those matches have a real name and/or a family tree or bother to answer a message?

My best matches by far are at Ancestry, but names such as C.A., B.M. and NunaYoBizness and no family trees is just frustrating.

Then again my brother and I have been at FTDNA for 1.5 years with no useful results.

We all need more testers to upload to GEDmatch.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post

My best matches by far are at Ancestry, but names such as C.A., B.M. and NunaYoBizness and no family trees is just frustrating.

True. A lot of people give Ancestry DNA kits as gifts and the people are only doing it for the novelty. To see if they have any Italian blood.

For the most part I have been able to figure out how I relate to all my close matches, even if they only provide their parents names, or else from seeing shared matches and doing Google searches. Obituaries found online can fill in the blanks a lot of the time.

Comment

Working...
          X