LivingDNA test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LivingDNA test

Has anyone got any feedback on the LivingDNA test? I happened across it today an being a DNA junkie I was wondering if it was worth the money. I have already tested at FTDNA, Ancestry and 23&me. LivingDNA.com "claims" to break down the British isles ancestry into a bunch of different subgroups. This information would be very interesting to me if it is accurate. Let me know if you have had any experience with them.

Larry

My husband and I bought Living DNA tests this past November. They are still in the process of gathering samples in their One Family One World project. It will impact their results, but it won't be finished anytime soon. I think the initial projection was 5 years. More recently, I've heard 2 years. Since they started with a British project, a lot of people are finding that their results appear more heavily British than they should be. From what I can tell, apart from their project, they're using DNA data that has been gathered previously for scientific purposes.

As for personal results, I don't have known British ancestry, but I appear to be 14% British according to their algorithm. I don't know enough about my dad's side to say that that is inaccurate. My father was Colombian and I know that British immigration did occur at some point in Colombia. I can tell you that I have matches who appear to be 100% British and except for non-paternal events, I don't have any other way to explain that. So I'm not discounting it, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. When I test all my half brothers, I'll have a better idea of how accurate it is.

My husband's results are more confusing because his mom's side is Italian and British and his dad's side is German. They all get muddled up right now, so according to his results, he's 63.8% British/Irish, 18% Italian (probably the closest to being right), 4.4% German (), 3.4% French, 1.2% Scandinavian, 3% West Balkan, 2% Baltic, 4.1% North Turkish (shows up in all other algorithms, so probably also right).

Luckily, once you test, they will continuously update your results as they get more data in. So I'm glad we took the test. The results are beautifully laid out, they give a little historical information, and you can break down the regions quite a lot. In the future, with more samples in, I imagine their results will be really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryBurford View Post
      Has anyone got any feedback on the LivingDNA test? I happened across it today an being a DNA junkie I was wondering if it was worth the money. I have already tested at FTDNA, Ancestry and 23&me. LivingDNA.com "claims" to break down the British isles ancestry into a bunch of different subgroups. This information would be very interesting to me if it is accurate. Let me know if you have had any experience with them.

Larry
      By my known family tree I'm 50% Slavic and 50% Irish and Anglo-Irish. LivingDNA says 19.2% Europe (East) and 67.5% Great Britain and Ireland. So that part can't be right.

But since I don't know anything about my Anglo-Irish lines, it was interesting to see where my 20.8% supposed English ancestry was from. I scoffed at first, but now I think it may be generally correct.

Comment

I did the test in Jan and got results back in Mar.

98% English. Sounds very high to me, since my paper trail is 32% German. I realize that German and English markers overlap, but still seems high.

I got broken down into 16 of the 21 sub regions. That's pretty diverse compared to what I have read. Most people see 8 to 14 regions.

They have colorful maps, which I like. Map Junkie...

The haplotypes were pretty good. My Y-haplotype is only two levels short of my Big Y and better than my SNP Pack by several levels. mtDNA was good too.

I am looking forward to their matching cousins lists later this summer (?). Although since I am very colonial, I dont really expect many matches closer than 5th cousin.

Definitely worth it for a DNA Junkie. But you should buy soon while price is still heavily discounted.

Comment

The sub-British results for me weren't entirely accurate, at least not according to my known ancestry, and the same with the sub-Italian regions. But I have to say that the sub-continental (or country) results have been the most accurate for me so far, of all the companies (and I've pretty much tried them all). It was very interesting, but I think until they add the DNA matching, I'm not sure it's worth the normal price tag - I recommend getting it on sale. DNA Day (April 25) is coming up soon so if they have a good deal, you might want to consider it.

Comment

I wish I remember who in this forum was the first to notice that
            most people test with different companies until they find a company providing such an ancestry composition that agrees with their ideas about it

Mr. W.
            Last edited by dna; 12 April 2018, 11:08 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

Personally, I have no ideas about what my results should or shouldn't be as I don't know my family well enough. My dad's side I almost don't know at all and my mom's side is mostly a mystery that none of them wants to help me solve. I tested in the first place to try to figure out where all my DNA hails from so I could know more about my family's history. Not everyone grows up having a sense of what they are.

Even though I think FTDNA does a great job, at least for me, I was curious to see what Living DNA would come up with, and I found some surprises that I probably should have suspected in the first place based on matches that make no sense (unless they have non-paternal events they don't know about). I'm not ruling out that they still could have NPEs because I take it all with a grain of salt. That's why I'm gathering documents too and collaborating with matches.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                I wish I remember who in this forum was the first to notice that
                most people test with different companies until they find a company providing such an ancestry composition that agrees with their ideas about it
                I know a guy who was all excited because his admixture came back with 1% Nigerian. When I told him that 1% on these tests was below the noise threshold, he replied, "I know. I just want to be part Nigerian."

Comment

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post
                  I know a guy who was all excited because his admixture came back with 1% Nigerian. When I told him that 1% on these tests was below the noise threshold, he replied, "I know. I just want to be part Nigerian."
                  The noise threshold is completely subjective when it comes to admixture. That makes a good story, but I would not be so quick to dismiss it.

I do not even have 1% myself, but I do have strong evidence that an eighth great grandmother of mine was a mulatto from Barbados in the mid-1600s. Lots of people have these small connections to Africa. I would not dismiss the 1% as noise.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

I was told my uploaded results will take six months and they gave me a date

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I may go ahead and test during a sale.

Comment

Working...
                      X