Looking for a Good DNA Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Good DNA Forum

My questions are never answered here. This forum has become a place basically for newcomers and answering questions about mailing kits, etc. I'm looking for a forum that really discusses autosomal DNA results. A place where questions are answered.

I tried signing up for the Rootsweb DNA list a couple of months ago, but never heard a word. I belong to lots of genealogy rootsweb lists, but I didn't think there was any limit on the number you can join. At present, Rootsweb is down.

How about https://anthrogenica.com/forumdispla...tosomal-(auDNA)

Comment

Thanks! But it appears that that forum is about the ethnicity part of DNA testing. I'm not interested in that.

It's using matches to try to discover who your ancestors were when you can't find documents that interests me. Segment matching, triangulation and shared match problems. Right now I have two different families matching on the same segment. The explanation for that is usually quite simple. One is on the mother's side and the other is on the father's. In this case chances are slim to none that these people are in any way related on the mother's side. It appears to me that there is an error in the established genealogies. The problem is proving it and locating the error.

Comment

I would think every genealogist encounters situations such as the one you describe. I learned long ago that my local genealogy society provides good moral support to keep my research going, and, sometimes, really helpful background information and actual clues. I couldn't begin to list the number of times I came away from a society meeting with a tip that opened up a whole new line of research. The collective experience of a room full of genealogists is a resource not to be missed. And, these days, most genealogists are working with genetic evidence themselves, and have probably arranged lectures or seminars on exactly these topics.

Comment

I belong to my local genealogical society and they have monthly DNA workshops. But I can't drive and I have no way to get to either meetings or workshops.

Comment

MoberlyDrake

Do you live in an area where you can get a cab to just one meeting/workshop?

At the meeting, perhaps you could do some networking and let at least one person know you are a member but getting there is a great hardship. Perhaps that one person would pick up on your need and find someone who could take you to the meetings. Reach out....There is more than one way to get from here to there.

And, some good and caring people are out there.

Good luck.
            Last edited by Biblioteque; 21st January 2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

There are many Facebook groups dealing with DNA Genealogy

See Facebook section in following link
              https://isogg.org/wiki/Genetic_genealogy_mailing_lists

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                My questions are never answered here. This forum has become a place basically for newcomers and answering questions about mailing kits, etc. I'm looking for a forum that really discusses autosomal DNA results. A place where questions are answered.

I tried signing up for the Rootsweb DNA list a couple of months ago, but never heard a word. I belong to lots of genealogy rootsweb lists, but I didn't think there was any limit on the number you can join. At present, Rootsweb is down.
                Rootsweb is considered passe. Are you on all the big three sites, of which FTDNA is one? I am. I've been banned from 23andme because my opinions were not welcome there as they weren't in line with the mindset of their forum that is mostly of a younger crowd. It is their playground, and they can keep it and rule it, as they wish.

Unless you want to join Facebook there are no other options. I refuse to join Facebook, for several reasons. If you want to be on Facebook, that is your decision.

Roberta Estes has a blog that is interesting and you can post to it. But IMO, since Facebook has become dominant in this marketplace and YahooGroups is essentially defunct there are no other options currently available.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                  There are many Facebook groups dealing with DNA Genealogy

See Facebook section in following link
                  https://isogg.org/wiki/Genetic_genealogy_mailing_lists
                  Sooo many - see: https://socialmediagenealogy.com/gen...facebook-list/ (it includes DNA groups)

Comment

MoberlyDrake - did you find what you were looking for?

Comment

Gedmatch has a forum. Not sure if it what you want but you might want to check it out.

Comment

MoberlyDrake

I hope that you do not leave. You have been on this forum for a long time. I started testing and posting here at FtDNA in 2006. I was pretty active for many years. A few years ago I stopped doing as much with my DNA search but I have now picked up where I left off. I am saddened by the number of long time posters who aren't on the boards anymore. I've checked their pages and have seen that many of them haven't been here in years after having been active for 4, 8 and some for over ten years! Why did they leave? I have a number of messages dating back over the years with some really interesting discussions! It would be nice to see the forums like that again.

I think that FtDNA should do a huge email and really encourage people to come back to the forums if they haven't been here for awhile and join if they did not know they existed.

Hope to see you on around again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
                          MoberlyDrake

I hope that you do not leave. You have been on this forum for a long time. I started testing and posting here at FtDNA in 2006. I was pretty active for many years. A few years ago I stopped doing as much with my DNA search but I have now picked up where I left off. I am saddened by the number of long time posters who aren't on the boards anymore. I've checked their pages and have seen that many of them haven't been here in years after having been active for 4, 8 and some for over ten years! Why did they leave? I have a number of messages dating back over the years with some really interesting discussions! It would be nice to see the forums like that again.

I think that FtDNA should do a huge email and really encourage people to come back to the forums if they haven't been here for awhile and join if they did not know they existed.

Hope to see you on around again.
                          An e-mail campaign? Maybe.

It would tremendously help, both FTDNA and the forum, if once a month somebody knowledgeable from FTDNA posted one thread explaining something (not marketing...). It would not need to be the same person every month. Of course they would need to followup in the discussion, even if only once to summarize and close the thread.

With the current commotion around Facebook, if FTDNA drops their presence there (I know, not too long ago that seemed impossible!), their internal resources might have enough time to be able to return here.

Mr. W.

P.S.
                          A timer (maybe accessible only for those kits that are waiting?) that shows when batches are likely to finish in each queue? With marks, the first ones done, 50%, 80%, 90% done? And a BIG sign leading to the page explaining why things can get delayed (as there are dozens of them).

That would help in answering all the questions of the type are we there yet...

P.P.S.
                          I was here before August 2014 (with the same id since 2011), but I did not post anything, and when the forum was reorganized I had to re-register.
                          Last edited by dna; 29th March 2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                            A

With the current commotion around Facebook, if FTDNA drops their presence there (I know, not too long ago that seemed impossible!), their internal resources might have enough time to be able to return here.
                            It hasn't even occurred to me to look on Facebook for FTDNA info and discussions - apparently I need to??

Comment

I haven't had any time lately to even look for a new forum. Been busy selling a house and trying to settle and estate.

I don't do Facebook.

We used to have a lot of DNA experts here who would answer questions. Now it seems like the only questions that get answered are the ones about which test to buy, how to set up an account, transfers and ethnicities. Questions about using DNA to try to break down genealogy brick walls with segment matching, etc. don't get answered.

I started out here on this forum knowing almost nothing and asking all kings of stupid questions. I've learned a lot, but I'd still like to get the opinions of experts in some areas. I don't like to jump to conclusions and end up with false ancestors.

I haven't found another forum yet. I'll search for one when I get around to it.

I'll probably stick around here though, unless things really go downhill!

Comment

Working...
                              X