hurricane and flooding protection at FTDNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hurricane and flooding protection at FTDNA

With Harvey expected to become Cat 3 and stall for days after landfall, I am curious if FTDNA facilities are vulnerable to the wind , rain, and flooding which might accompany the storm?

I hate to ask, but how is the neighborhood, if we get into a looting situation?

Jack

I was just looking at the National Hurricane Center website. It's expected to become a category 3 Friday night, but make landfall Saturday morning as a category 2. That will mean winds of under 110 miles/hour at landfall.

Also, landfall is expected to be between Brownsville (at the border with Mexico) and Corpus Christi, although it may come in somewhat north of Corpus Christi. Houston is a little over 200 miles northeast of Corpus - Texas is big. FTDNA's offices are in the northwest part of Houston, over 50 miles from the coast, so there won't be any storm surge at their location from landfall, just a lot of rain. After the last hurricane that hit Houston in 2008, they bought a generator that enables them to be fully functional, including lab procedures, if the power grid goes down.

As far as looting goes, I've lived in the Houston area since 1981 and have never heard of any serious outbreak of looting connected to a hurricane. FTDNA's offices are on the 610 loop around the city and the area is very commercial, with lots of office buildings. I wouldn't worry too much about looting, especially since (right now) Harvey will not have major affects on Houston, except for rain.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed, since I'm closer to the coast.

Comment

Thanks MMaddi,

Good luck! I hope it turns out OK for people in the area.

Jack

Comment

They survived the hurricane of 2008 that did a lot of damage to Houston. They are on the northwest side of Houston and they are not on the ground floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          They survived the hurricane of 2008 that did a lot of damage to Houston. They are on the northwest side of Houston and they are not on the ground floor.
          To quote a very smart woman:

"At this point...what difference does it make?"

Comment

Maybe FTDNA ought to move a ways more to the northwest, say Waco. Then they'll have the U.S. Army (Fort Hood) to protect them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpathian View Post
              To quote a very smart woman:

"At this point...what difference does it make?"
              First floor might be under water. The eight floor isn't. That makes a lot of difference to me, but then I'm not a smart woman!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                First floor might be under water. The eight floor isn't. That makes a lot of difference to me, but then I'm not a smart woman!
                This site is still functional, so apparently the servers are not located in someone's basement.

Comment

Working...
                X