Updated Algorithm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Algorithm?

From news reports, my understanding is that Family Tree DNA was in the process of updating its algorithm for determining ancestry. The intent was to increase accuracy and reliability. As I understood it, the upgrade was to be completed by the middle of March 2017.

Does anyone know if this has happened and if our original tests will be updated?

I have no idea how long ago this may have happened but I just noticed it yesterday. One of my mother's 4th to remote cousins is now considered a 2nd to 4th cousin. What was 2 segments of DNA is now considered one long segment.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
      I have no idea how long ago this may have happened but I just noticed it yesterday. One of my mother's 4th to remote cousins is now considered a 2nd to 4th cousin. What was 2 segments of DNA is now considered one long segment.
      Hi:

Thanks for the reply. So....... this would suggest to you that something has happened to increase the accuracy? Unfortunately I have not made a record of anything with which to compare.

I might have expected some sort of announcement.

Comment

As I said, I have no idea how long ago this might have happened. It could have been months ago, and I just happened to notice, when I was comparing him to a shared match. I don't know if anyone else has changed or not. Without thinking about it I deleted the old data in my spreadsheet and added the new, so now I don't have the start and end positions of the two former segments that are now one, but there was just a tiny break. FTDNA doesn't seem to attach as much importance to multiple segments as the other two companies.

Comment

It was My Origins (the ethnicity calculator) that was supposed to get updated in mid-march... And it still hasn't happened yet.

Comment

I know MyOrigins was supposed to be updated in March, but I think I read that that has been postponed.

Comment

SNP Compilation

I have tested with all three vendors and I was wondering if anyone has a tool to compile all three file SNPs and provide an ethnicity calculation based on all the available SNPs.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                I know MyOrigins was supposed to be updated in March, but I think I read that that has been postponed.
                I haven't read any confirmation, but it apparently has been postponed (again). Funny thing is that they originally announced that it would happen before the end of march, 2016. Then, a year later they announced that it would be mid-march, 2017. Well, it's april 2017 and it still hasn't happened...

Comment

Working...
                X