Why would Y-DNA results not be visible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would Y-DNA results not be visible

I have probably a rather strange multipart question to ask and I'm not even sure where it should be posted!

I've been researching the Shepler/Shipler/Sheplor, etc families in the US now for some number of years. During that time, I manage and collected a number of Y-DNA tests. I keep my own spreadsheet of these...

I've just realized I have old FTDNA 12 marker test from back in 2006.... and for the life of me, I can not recall how I got this test or who provided it to me.

So, question number 1 is, I have the kit number, but it isn't a test I manage. Is there any way to get contact information given a certain kit number?

Question #2 - this 12 marker test is identical in marker values to various other kits I manage. Yet it does not show up as a match when I log in under one of these other kits I manage. Why would a kit "disappear"?

If there is a more appropriate place to post this, please let me know or the Admins may just go ahead and move this. Thanks!

If you can find the kit number on a project, you can ask the admin of the project to pass a message to the kit owner. They can't give you any contact information, but they can at least pass along the message. The problem is that the kit owner might not reply back or no longer uses that email anymore. Also, the admin might not reply due to being inactive themselves. Another option is to ask Darren, if he can send a message for you. He works for FTDNA and of course can't give you the contact information either. You can private message him here.

As for why a Y12 kit with the exact values not match, there are a few possibilities. One is that this person has set his preferences to not appear to his matches. Another possibility is that it is due to a glitch. I encountered a situation where a Nat Geo Geno transfer did not have a haplogroup assignment. I contacted support and it turned out to be a bug in the transfer. They fixed it for the kit. Something similar could be happening with the one you know.

Though it is possible it didn't have the same results. At the Y12 level, to show up as a match it has to have no differences. It can show you kits with 1 difference, but only if those matches are in the same group project. So I suggest contacting Darren through a private message and see if he can help you.

As for where this post could have gone, seeing as it was about Y-DNA tests, maybe in the general Y-DNA section. No matter anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemoore99 View Post
      I have probably a rather strange multipart question to ask and I'm not even sure where it should be posted!

I've been researching the Shepler/Shipler/Sheplor, etc families in the US now for some number of years. During that time, I manage and collected a number of Y-DNA tests. I keep my own spreadsheet of these...

I've just realized I have old FTDNA 12 marker test from back in 2006.... and for the life of me, I can not recall how I got this test or who provided it to me.

So, question number 1 is, I have the kit number, but it isn't a test I manage. Is there any way to get contact information given a certain kit number?

Question #2 - this 12 marker test is identical in marker values to various other kits I manage. Yet it does not show up as a match when I log in under one of these other kits I manage. Why would a kit "disappear"?

If there is a more appropriate place to post this, please let me know or the Admins may just go ahead and move this. Thanks!
      How would you know if the kit doesn't show up in your list of matches if you don't know the name associated with the kit? FTDNA doesn't list matches by kit number just by name. As far as finding out who the kit number belongs to, try typing in the kit number in your search box for your email as maybe you corresponded with the person before and it is there in an old email. Also try typing in the kit number in a search engine maybe that kit number is displayed in a public project at FTDNA and you can get clues from that.

Comment

Working...
      X