Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Typically how long to have kit marked as Received?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Typically how long to have kit marked as Received?

    I sent a yDNA kit back on December 11th, yet it's still marked as "Received by Lab: Pending" when I check it's status.

    From people's experiences, how long does it typically take for the status to change to a received date? I realize the results won't be back until sometime in February or March. But, I'll feel a bit more comfortable when I see it's been actually received.

    I'm in California, so I would have expected it would have been received no later than Dec. 21st, or thereabouts.

  • #2
    I think that FTDNA is swamped with new kits, and everything is (even) slower than usual

    I've sent my latest kit with T&T, and it's been marked as delivered to FTDNA on 12/19/2015, but when I log into my account it's still "Received by lab:Pending"

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks!

      That's good to know then. I was so excited to get the kit back into the mail, that I didn't think to set it up with a tracking number.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Robertjm View Post
        That's good to know then. I was so excited to get the kit back into the mail, that I didn't think to set it up with a tracking number.
        Actually tracking slows down delivery, I wouldn't use it for US delivery, but I'm sending kits from EU and it's easiest way to send a kit

        With this kit I really worried if it will be batched in time (this year) because I want to upgrade to Bigy during sale, but I can't do that until kit is batched

        Comment


        • #5
          With the way tracking works here in the USA, it's all pretty much automated so it goes through the same sorting machine as a standard addressed package does. At least that's my understanding.

          I'd presume the foreign tracking markings will require it to be done by hand.

          Have you tried calling them to explain the situation? Could you not buy the upgrade to Big-Y before it's processed? That's what I did with my upgrade from y33 to y67. They're both listed in my account, even though it's marked as pending. You should already have the kit number, right?

          Robert

          Originally posted by danica View Post
          Actually tracking slows down delivery, I wouldn't use it for US delivery, but I'm sending kits from EU and it's easiest way to send a kit

          With this kit I really worried if it will be batched in time (this year) because I want to upgrade to Bigy during sale, but I can't do that until kit is batched

          Comment


          • #6
            Foreign tracking is handled the same way domestic US post is handled; It something with tracked kits being delivered into bins or bags for FTDNA, that slows things down, that bins (bags) are not immediately picked up and sorted by FTDNA ;


            regular, untraced post is delivered directly to FTDNA

            Calling is not option for me ( time zone difference) , I've send note to customer support , they've told me to be patient.
            OK, I'm patient
            (and just little bit venting out on your thread , sorry)

            Comment


            • #7
              No worries. I still don't see why they wouldn't let you buy the upgrade to Big-Y at this point, since your kit is in the system, albeit not received.

              But, perhaps there's a different way of handling that kit vs. other kits, which I don't know of. That one is way beyond what I could afford right now, and the only reason I got the y37 was because a cousin gifted it to me.

              Good luck! Hopefully, your kit gets into the system before January 3rd. The latest batch of coupons came out today, and that's the expiration date for the last of the holiday coupons.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Robertjm View Post
                [----] I'd presume the foreign tracking markings will require it to be done by hand. [----]
                The same numbering schema (and barcode) is used all over the world, just last two letters would not be US, but be a code for a country of origin. Also the first two letters would often be RR.

                Manual reading would be required once only if the machine is unable to read the recipient address. Then a destination code is imprinted on the envelope (yellow/orange markings) and processing continues without human intervention.

                Mr W

                Comment


                • #9
                  Unless it was an oddball shaped package, which would then require a manual sort.

                  Not saying Danica's was. But, having worked in the school photo business for several years, we ran into that issue from time to time.

                  Originally posted by dna View Post
                  The same numbering schema (and barcode) is used all over the world, just last two letters would not be US, but be a code for a country of origin. Also the first two letters would often be RR.

                  Manual reading would be required once only if the machine is unable to read the recipient address. Then a destination code is imprinted on the envelope (yellow/orange markings) and processing continues without human intervention.

                  Mr W

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Have you tried logging in to that Kit and clicking on Upgrade to see if you can do the Upgrade now (ie without waiting for it to be batched)?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by loobster View Post
                      Have you tried logging in to that Kit and clicking on Upgrade to see if you can do the Upgrade now (ie without waiting for it to be batched)?
                      I just checked the home page for a project member whose kit has not been received and the Upgrade button is visible on the upper right, but BigY is not listed among the options. It may be necessary to complete a Y STR test prior to ordering. Hope you get a timely response from customer service.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by loobster View Post
                        Have you tried logging in to that Kit and clicking on Upgrade to see if you can do the Upgrade now (ie without waiting for it to be batched)?
                        No. I just logged to a kit I administer that is not batched yet, and I could upgrade to anything but Big Y.

                        Mr W

                        P.S.
                        Big Y can be ordered by making a phone call to FTDNA at any time. However, I sincerely doubt that a discount code could be used when ordering Big Y over the phone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Robertjm View Post
                          No worries. I still don't see why they wouldn't let you buy the upgrade to Big-Y at this point, since your kit is in the system, albeit not received.
                          Big Y is not an option to buy online until the results of a Y-DNA STR marker test are complete. So waiting for it to be batched might not be enough unless FTDNA support said that they will somehow make the option ready to Danica manually. Which I don't know they can or will do. Safest best is calling them even if they are not from a good timezone.

                          Originally posted by Robertjm View Post
                          Hopefully, your kit gets into the system before January 3rd. The latest batch of coupons came out today, and that's the expiration date for the last of the holiday coupons.
                          The sale ends on December 31. The coupons will still work after the sale, but obviously people won't save as much as during the sale.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks to you all ,

                            Bigy can be ordered even before y-str is completed if you ask customer support to issue a paypal bill (that how I'm paying to all my kits anyway), I've done it before on another kit. Results for both test were delivered together.

                            News to me was that kit must be batched before placing order for Bigy.
                            And I'm still hoping that even sales prices will apply, since I have open request on the subject, CS said something about making a note about it.

                            On yet another kit I was upgrading during this sales, by the time CS provided me a paypal link for my order, several day had passed, and coupon I used with it has expired during that waiting time, but FTDNA didn't make a fuss about it, price was as it would be with valid coupon.

                            For ten days now my latest kit is in a "purgatory"
                            Delivered to destination per USPS, but not received per FTDNA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I put a kit in the mail December 10th..does it really take this long or do they just sit in the post office for weeks until they get a full bag?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X