Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Irish, more like northern Spain then Brits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is quite interesting.

My father's family has more than 1,000 years of history in Ireland [that'd be multiple great-grandparents, 33 to 40 generations give or take if one says a generation is 25 to 30 years of age].... and yet when doing such tests as gedmatch [however general it can be] there is a large amount of Spanish connection for both my sister & I [K13b gives a near even 75/25% split between English/Irish & Spanish with the mixed population @ a 2.67 closeness for myself... however, look at the single populations and Spanish is quite further back/older than the other reference populations].

In fact, using the generalized gedmatch, it's the 2nd highest concentration of names that pop up [via CTRL + F for Spanish] after French. The French connection I know of, the Spanish [/Iberian] threw me for a loop until looking at this.
    Last edited by James78; 1 August 2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Didn't know there was an edit time-limit - how bothersome.

But my family itself was descended from High Kings [including those named as "Milesian" High Kings themselves]; as in direct pedigreed/bloodline proof not just a generalized DNA claim like every Irishman [and his mother] tries to make. Family forefathers themselves were of higher social standing [being land holders, not serfs] until about the 1783 Rebellion and some of them still faired better than a number of people.

I wonder how many people of Irish descendent - such as 1798 - have tested their Spanish connection via such sites as gedmatch. It'd be interesting to see the closeness & percentage amount to see if only certain families / regions had high Spanish influx / remains than the whole of Ireland. Because red hair is hardly from one area - the Volga people were said to be red haired [and still are nearly as predominately red haired as the Irish themselves] and grey eyed centuries ago.

I mean red hair is a predominant family feature - or being auburn / brunette. My blonde hair is extremely rare and yet it has enough reddish undertone to pass as red when it darkens during the winter season.

Comment

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post
        Thanks, I will be watching for it.

If it is true and they can prove people migrated north from spain it could explain why some of us with African mtDNA subgroups ended up in England/Ireland.

I show northern african DNA in the GEDmatch admix tools and have L3e2a mtDNA. My female line is from England in the 1500's. I have not been able to go back further. There is no record of a "slave" and the subgroup I have is showing up all over the world in very small groups.
        What mtDNA haplogroup do you belong to?

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
          I think that is the real reason for the study.
          Nothing wrong with that. We all get sick after all and there is nothing wrong with genetic research having practical applications.

Comment

I don't think that we will learn anything from this project that we don't already know. They should have spent the money on ancient tests. This project is not about helping Irish people find their ancient roots.
            But to do that the scientists would need ancient DNA which can be very difficult to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinduffy View Post
              But to do that the scientists would need ancient DNA which can be very difficult to come by.
              It is only difficult when there is no money for it. There are lots of ancient remains in Ireland from the Neolithic onwards.

Comment

Originally posted by James78 View Post
                Didn't know there was an edit time-limit - how bothersome.

But my family itself was descended from High Kings [including those named as "Milesian" High Kings themselves]; as in direct pedigreed/bloodline proof not just a generalized DNA claim like every Irishman [and his mother] tries to make. Family forefathers themselves were of higher social standing [being land holders, not serfs] until about the 1783 Rebellion and some of them still faired better than a number of people.

I wonder how many people of Irish descendent - such as 1798 - have tested their Spanish connection via such sites as gedmatch. It'd be interesting to see the closeness & percentage amount to see if only certain families / regions had high Spanish influx / remains than the whole of Ireland. Because red hair is hardly from one area - the Volga people were said to be red haired [and still are nearly as predominately red haired as the Irish themselves] and grey eyed centuries ago.

I mean red hair is a predominant family feature - or being auburn / brunette. My blonde hair is extremely rare and yet it has enough reddish undertone to pass as red when it darkens during the winter season.
                Here is my K15
                # Population Percent
                1 North_Sea 34.43
                2 Atlantic 31.38
                3 Baltic 13.42
                4 Eastern_Euro 7.33
                5 West_Asian 5.47
                6 West_Med 5.38
                7 South_Asian 1.95

Here is La Brana F999915 7000 ybp
                # Population Percent
                1 Atlantic 30.24
                2 North_Sea 29.34
                3 Baltic 28.15
                4 Eastern_Euro 11.87

Comment

Here is my K15
                  # Population Percent
                  1 North_Sea 34.43
                  2 Atlantic 31.38
                  3 Baltic 13.42
                  4 Eastern_Euro 7.33
                  5 West_Asian 5.47
                  6 West_Med 5.38
                  7 South_Asian 1.95

Here is La Brana F999915 7000 ybp
                  # Population Percent
                  1 Atlantic 30.24
                  2 North_Sea 29.34
                  3 Baltic 28.15
                  4 Eastern_Euro 11.87
                  Doesn't mean anything seeing as the Atlantic covers the entire celto-germanic region. I am speaking specifically of IRISH connection as per gedmatch in the single population.

However:

# Population Percent
                  1 North_Sea 38.62
                  2 Atlantic 39.45
                  3 West_Med 9.5
                  4 Eastern_Euro 6.63
                  5 East_Med 5.78

Irish as per single population - 2.7 closeness and furthest 3.4. Spanish on the other hand has a closeness of 15.04 and furthest of 21.34 indicating distant relation.

Comment

I have some Irish ancestry but am not predominantly Irish according to the paper trail.

Single population sharing for K15

1.Irish 1.99
                    19.Spanish_Cataluna 19.35

Comment

Originally posted by James78 View Post
                      Doesn't mean anything seeing as the Atlantic covers the entire celto-germanic region. I am speaking specifically of IRISH connection as per gedmatch in the single population.

However:

# Population Percent
                      1 North_Sea 38.62
                      2 Atlantic 39.45
                      3 West_Med 9.5
                      4 Eastern_Euro 6.63
                      5 East_Med 5.78

Irish as per single population - 2.7 closeness and furthest 3.4. Spanish on the other hand has a closeness of 15.04 and furthest of 21.34 indicating distant relation.
                      The Atlantic dna is south western European autosomal dna and the North Sea is north western European autosomal dna and both represent WHG.

Comment

It is only difficult when there is no money for it. There are lots of ancient remains in Ireland from the Neolithic onwards.
                        But that does not mean that there is viable DNA to study.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinduffy View Post
                          Nothing wrong with that. We all get sick after all and there is nothing wrong with genetic research having practical applications.
                          There is no need to con people into testing. This project is about making some people very rich.

Comment

Don't need any DNA to prove that - even if it does.

My great-grandfather was what is known as a "dark" Irishman. The original Dark Irish of which they were few & far between in his era are dark skinned, dark haired and dark eyed. They are NOT African-slave mixbloods [my African DNA is pretty much nonexistent] but rather probable descendants of the Iberians / Spanish or given where the Gauls arose - the Gauls/Celts given as Cheddar Man [the most likely Gaul we have to reference] was believed to be dark skinned.

On the other hand, in reverse to my nonexistent African, my Iberian & Spanish is quite high. It is obviously distant - being greater than 17 in gedmatch, as and such makes sense.

My grandfather's family is old and thoroughly Irish.
                            Last edited by SwedeLover; 2 October 2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X