X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armando
    replied
    Originally posted by LadyAlaise View Post
    My Origins results were changed after the last 'update' and thy had me scratching my head to begin with; but now definitely so lol
    Thought I would share...
    I am now (according to FTDNA):
    99% European...and 1% Central Asian??
    with 61% being Western and Central Europe
    and
    38% from the British Isles....
    ----
    Yet, Out of 16 Great Great Grandparents:
    2 are of Acadian French and some Mi'Kmaq and a touch of Irish and further back some Spanish
    1 is all Acadian French (up to the beginning of 1600s as far as I can tell)
    1 is 1/4 English Descent (New England English families) and 3/4ths Acadian
    1 is of Acadian French, a little Mi'Kmaq and a touch of Basque
    1 is 100% Irish.
    1 is Acadian French is a bit of Basque
    1 is mostly Acadian French
    1 is Half Scottish via mother's side and New England English and some Scottish via father's side.
    1 is At least half Irish via father's side; potentially Scottish or Irish via mother's side
    2 are 100% Irish/Scottish (From Ireland but many surnames in their lines likely came from Scotland in 1600s)
    1 is a mystery (supposed Half Mi'Kmaq, Greek/Spanish/French questionmark)
    1 is New England English mostly (from what I have found)
    2 are 100% Irish.
    ----
    I really expected more British Isles in my results lol....
    The problem is that FTDNA, and even other DNA companies, have a hard time distinguishing between some of the western and central European countries. 23andme is very good at detecting significant levels of Iberian and distinguishing it from other European countries and it shows up at the highest percentage in French Basque and probably also shows up somewhat in southern French because there will be some shared ancestry. I don't think you have enough of that ancestry. 23andme and also has a French & German component. It would be interesting to see what you get there.

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    Given that DNA does not come evenly from parents, your myOrigins result is pretty close to your ancestry composition.

Also, nationality assignments from hundreds of years ago are sometimes more like general guidelines. Let me remind you about two examples.

Who was his guy?
    • Giovanni Caboto
    • Jean Cabot
    • John Cabot
    • Juan Caboto
    Voting by googling would give us an Englishman John Cabot (154 000, 32 100, 455 000, 7 550), although reading actual biography would indicate that he was really Giovanni Caboto born in Italy.

What about Jacques Cartier? This time the answer appears to be clear: a Frenchman. However, when one looks closer, he was a Briton, a Celtic guy. I know, that example goes in the other direction

W. (Mr.)

Leave a comment:

• LadyAlaise
    started a topic My Origins %....

My Origins %....

My Origins results were changed after the last 'update' and thy had me scratching my head to begin with; but now definitely so lol
    Thought I would share...
    I am now (according to FTDNA):
    99% European...and 1% Central Asian??
    with 61% being Western and Central Europe
    and
    38% from the British Isles....
    ----
    Yet, Out of 16 Great Great Grandparents:
    2 are of Acadian French and some Mi'Kmaq and a touch of Irish and further back some Spanish
    1 is all Acadian French (up to the beginning of 1600s as far as I can tell)
    1 is 1/4 English Descent (New England English families) and 3/4ths Acadian
    1 is of Acadian French, a little Mi'Kmaq and a touch of Basque
    1 is 100% Irish.
    1 is Acadian French is a bit of Basque
    1 is mostly Acadian French
    1 is Half Scottish via mother's side and New England English and some Scottish via father's side.
    1 is At least half Irish via father's side; potentially Scottish or Irish via mother's side
    2 are 100% Irish/Scottish (From Ireland but many surnames in their lines likely came from Scotland in 1600s)
    1 is a mystery (supposed Half Mi'Kmaq, Greek/Spanish/French questionmark)
    1 is New England English mostly (from what I have found)
    2 are 100% Irish.
    ----
    I really expected more British Isles in my results lol....
Working...
X