Question on skin color of Amerindians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on skin color of Amerindians

Does anyone have any scientific data on why Amerindians living along the equator are significantly lighter skinned than other aboriginal global populations living near the equator?

Not sure what you mean by scientific evidence , but American Indians near the equator may have NOT lived in that region long enough for their pigmentation to change.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
      Not sure what you mean by scientific evidence , but American Indians near the equator may have NOT lived in that region long enough for their pigmentation to change.
      So it takes 1000s of years for skin to change colour.

Why do people with dark skin have light skin on the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet? That must be a link to their ancient ancestry.

Comment

The ancestors of Native Americans lived for thousands of years in Beringia & before that, eastern Siberia. They would have shared in arctic adaptations.

It could also be that, since moving southward, the populations haven't incurred any mutations that would bring back dark pigmentation.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Any mutations specific to pigmentation in American Indians?

From observation those living near the equator on the American continent don't appear to be darker skinned.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
            So it takes 1000s of years for skin to change colour.
            Yes it does. Science has proven that common traits among ethnic groups occurred over long periods of time, not a sudden change.

Why do people with dark skin have light skin on the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet? That must be a link to their ancient ancestry.
            It's just basic science. UV light stimulates melanocyte activity. Melanin is produced by melanocytes at the lower layer of the epidermis. Darker pigmentation is caused by more melanin. The reason is the above with the combined effect of with the lighter density of cells in one's palms and soles.
            Last edited by thetick; 9 May 2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Yes it does. Science has proven that common traits among ethnic groups occurred over long periods of time, not a sudden change.

It's just basic science. UV light stimulates melanocyte activity. Melanin is produced by melanocytes at the lower layer of the epidermis. Darker pigmentation is caused by more melanin. The reason is the above with the combined effect of with the lighter density of cells in one's palms and soles.
              It could mean that the ancestors of the African people were light skinned and that is important.

Comment

It could mean that the ancestors of the African people were light skinned and that is important.
                Yea they might be aliens also.

Comment

Artifacts have been found in Ecuador that are 11,000 years old but perhaps the indigenous people living there now aren't from the same population.

Comment

This thread is about American Indians if you want to discuss African people or European people I would appreciate it you do it on another thread I don't appreciate you hijacking this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AFH View Post
                      This thread is about American Indians if you want to discuss African people or European people I would appreciate it you do it on another thread I don't appreciate you hijacking this thread.
                      Okay.

What colour of skin does North American Indians have and why? Do you know the SNPs that are associated with the colour?

Comment

Okay.

What colour of skin does North American Indians have and why? Do you know the SNPs that are associated with the colour?
                        Over the centuries the various ethnic groups have got mixed up in the Americas so it's not really a very good area to focus on when it comes to phenotypes.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetic...l.pgen.1004572

THe whole subject isn't that well understood anyway but this wiki article is quite intresting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color

BTW another big difference between humans and other primates other than furriness is human sweat glands that we evolved to help keep cool, both these mutations are of course unlikely to have occurred in cooler parts of the globe.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...1/Sweat-glands

Comment

It would depend upon what theory you want to believe for north American Indians arriving in NA.

The land bridge did, after all, meant that their forefathers would have come from more northern - and hence paler skinned - populations than from let's say Africa. There is also the fact that Clovis proved Asians (by boat if I remember) are the predominant forefather to NA Indians than any other society.

The reason for aboriginals of Australia / New Zealand being dark is still. Longer population arrival and also the fact that being more southern simple genetic drift via sailers / lost fishermen, etc. from such areas of Africa itself or India even would have been easier to achieve than going west across a massive ocean in simple boats.

It won't matter, as someone who has a bachelors in aboriginals studies and knows many true aboriginals [not metis or mix breeds], as it is the NA governments seek to destroy the cultures even now. Just read any of the government sites on Indian "status", Canada's is more obvious than USA, and true aboriginal blood is severely diluted in many populations. I mean how on earth does a half Indian + half Indian make a full Indian, genetics don't work that simply.

And to 1798 as a white person who knows many black people, including many whom I would not pause one second to call superior to the white welfare "tripe" to name them nicely I see loitering on the streets in the local city, your borderline racist comments are annoying and add absolutely nothing to most conversations.

I'll make it simple.

Whites are merely blacks with a mutated skin gene and a handful of other mutations attributed to evolutionary needs.

Since you seem to think blacks are "apes", I got news for you... you and every other white person out there is nothing more than a white "ape".

Otherwise whites are just the spawn of some alien.

Comment

Originally posted by James78 View Post
                            It would depend upon what theory you want to believe for north American Indians arriving in NA.

The land bridge did, after all, meant that their forefathers would have come from more northern - and hence paler skinned - populations than from let's say Africa. There is also the fact that Clovis proved Asians (by boat if I remember) are the predominant forefather to NA Indians than any other society.

The reason for aboriginals of Australia / New Zealand being dark is still. Longer population arrival and also the fact that being more southern simple genetic drift via sailers / lost fishermen, etc. from such areas of Africa itself or India even would have been easier to achieve than going west across a massive ocean in simple boats.

It won't matter, as someone who has a bachelors in aboriginals studies and knows many true aboriginals [not metis or mix breeds], as it is the NA governments seek to destroy the cultures even now. Just read any of the government sites on Indian "status", Canada's is more obvious than USA, and true aboriginal blood is severely diluted in many populations. I mean how on earth does a half Indian + half Indian make a full Indian, genetics don't work that simply.

And to 1798 as a white person who knows many black people, including many whom I would not pause one second to call superior to the white welfare "tripe" to name them nicely I see loitering on the streets in the local city, your borderline racist comments are annoying and add absolutely nothing to most conversations.

I'll make it simple.

Whites are merely blacks with a mutated skin gene and a handful of other mutations attributed to evolutionary needs.

Since you seem to think blacks are "apes", I got news for you... you and every other white person out there is nothing more than a white "ape".

Otherwise whites are just the spawn of some alien.
                            I don't know what you are on about. Out of Africa is only a theory. The AMH could have originated in Europe. The mutation could have happened the other way around and we humans are all descended from an ape is another myth. We cannot talk about skin colour without some people getting upset.

Comment

Gravity is only a theory.

Theories are accepted as such by science as long as they can account for all of the facts. As soon as a fact is found that the theory can't account for, the theory needs to be either modified or replaced.

The Out of Africa Theory is still accepted by most because it accounts for all of the relevant facts. Nothing has been found that is contradictory.

The innuendo in your message makes me wonder if this markes the grand debut of your new "Out of Ireland" hypothesis...

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
                              X