X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by Fern View Post
    The number of people in the FF database, according to the ISOGG chart in the original poster's link, was 500,000 as at 1 May 2017. The attachment in the original post showed the number of people in the FF database as 140,000 at 12 April 2015.
    I currently have 1973 FF matches. I was a little startled to think I matched 1.4% of the database
    The total includes those who originally tested at AncestryDNA or 23andMe and uploaded their results into FTDNA's database. Anyone who's done this has a kit number with the "B" prefix.

I see a lot of people joining the Sicily Project, of which I'm administrator, by uploading from the other two companies. I can tell by their kit number. The highest "B" kit number I've seen is B226598. This tells me that over 200,000 people, maybe close to 250,000 people, in the FTDNA autosomal database have uploaded results from AncestryDNA or 23andMe.

I think it's probably a good estimate that 200,000-250,000 people have tested Family Finder directly at FTDNA and not uploaded autosomal results from another company. Adding the estimates for the uploads and direct Family Finder test results, it seems like about 500,000 is a fair estimate for the size of FTDNA's autosomal database. However, about half of those are uploaded results from other companies.
    Last edited by MMaddi; 18 August 2017, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fern
    replied
    500,000 NOT 140,000

The number of people in the FF database, according to the ISOGG chart in the original poster's link, was 500,000 as at 1 May 2017. The attachment in the original post showed the number of people in the FF database as 140,000 at 12 April 2015.
    I currently have 1973 FF matches. I was a little startled to think I matched 1.4% of the database

Leave a comment:

• jova99
    replied
    Y testing

interesting, thanks for the link

Today it indicates that 150,409 men have taken the Y 67 marker test and 289,776 37-marker records are in the database.

this indicates that about 2,000 men per month have been opting for the 67-marker test , as the samples in the database have grown by 56,000 in tha last 28 months.

Leave a comment:

• E19463
    replied
    Originally posted by Petra View Post
    See details here:
    With our premier suite of DNA tests and the world’s most comprehensive matching database...your DNA has met its match!

"About The Family Tree DNA Database

Our database is the largest in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of May 1, 2015, the Family Tree DNA database has 720,505 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East. We also have:
    8,187 SURNAME PROJECTS
    370,820 unique surnames
    525,827 Y-DNA records in the database
    215,797 25-marker records in the database
    195,358 37-marker records in the database
    96,215 67-marker records in the database
    194,678 mtDNA records in the database
    51,578 FGS records in the database"
    Thank you for the link and the numbers. It's a long way till everybody is tested, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Petra
    replied
    720.505 records

See details here:
    With our premier suite of DNA tests and the world’s most comprehensive matching database...your DNA has met its match!

"About The Family Tree DNA Database

Our database is the largest in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of May 1, 2015, the Family Tree DNA database has 720,505 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East. We also have:
    8,187 SURNAME PROJECTS
    370,820 unique surnames
    51,578 FGS records in the database"

Leave a comment:

• Armando
    replied
    Originally posted by nicolam View Post
    The problem is that matches have to be invited to compare genomes, if they either ignore your invitation or decline it you can't see them in the browser. Over half my matches are an anonymous, nameless icon and all I can see is whether they are male/female, the haplogroup and the percentage of dna shared, but not where.
    Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
    I have tested autosomal at FTDNA (8/2011 results), AncestryDNA (9/2012 results) and 23andMe (2/2015 results).

But so far 23andMe is a great big disappointment. The return message rate is is about 5%.
    It is because of having to request the sharing of genomes and getting a very low response rate that the 900,000 at 23andme is not the same thing as 140,000 people with an autosomal test at FTDNA. It's apples and oranges as I have said previously.

The Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart also has a comparison of Average responsiveness of matches. http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_...mparison_chart
    Last edited by Armando; 26 April 2015, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ann Turner
    replied
    Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
    Maybe the 140,000 pertains to autosomal alone. Ann, do you have numbers on this?

Timothy Peterman
    Yes, the 140,000 estimate is for autosomal tests. Roberta Estes was quoted in a GenomeWeb article (paywall) Jan 19 that the number was approaching 120,000. She presumably had some insider knowledge. Some projections are based on the kit numbers with the prefix B (transfers). The number on some kits I transferred rose about 4000 in the month of January.

Leave a comment:

• T E Peterman
    replied
    Maybe the 140,000 pertains to autosomal alone. Ann, do you have numbers on this?

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• Ann Turner
    replied
    I had thought it was more than that. What is the banner on the FTDNA home page referring to by "we have 720,505 records - the largest DNA ancestry database in the world!"
    Discover your DNA story and unlock the secrets of your ancestry and genealogy with our Autosomal DNA, YDNA and mtDNA tests!

I thought this was how many people have tested with them, but it must mean something else.
    As others have mentioned, the 720K records is the total number of tests for Y and mtDNA. It does include tests that have been transferred from other places.

What I have wondered is how the 525K Y records are broken down. I had assumed that each level includes the next level, but others have disagreed.

51,578 FGS records in the database

Leave a comment:

• tlgarrison
    replied
    I have tested autosomal at FTDNA (8/2011 results), AncestryDNA (9/2012 results) and 23andMe (2/2015 results).

I have found great things using FTDNA and AncestryDNA (even though AncestryDNA does not have the chr browser: I just try like heck to get them to upload to GedMatch). But so far 23andMe is a great big disappointment. The return message rate is is about 5%. I think a lot of these people join using a hotmail address and then lose there login information or something. If somebody emails me regarding any of my DNA tests I always respond! I am sure one day something good will come from my 23andMe account so I will just wait and CAST A BIG NET because if you don't fish you want catch anything.
    Last edited by tlgarrison; 26 April 2015, 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling error

Leave a comment:

• nicolam
    replied
    The problem is that matches have to be invited to compare genomes, if they either ignore your invitation or decline it you can't see them in the browser. Over half my matches are an anonymous, nameless icon and all I can see is whether they are male/female, the haplogroup and the percentage of dna shared, but not where.

Leave a comment:

• MoberlyDrake
    replied
    I have tested with 23andMe (I uploaded to FTDNA), and my 3 closest matches there don't reply to messages so I can't find out where we match. They are just ignoring me, but I've also had several requests to compare genomes declined. I have fewer matches on FTDNA but at least I can compare them in the chromosome browser.

You have a chromosome browser at 23andMe, though it works a little differently.

Leave a comment:

• nicolam
    replied
    I have tested with 23andMe (I uploaded to FTDNA), and my 3 closest matches there don't reply to messages so I can't find out where we match. They are just ignoring me, but I've also had several requests to compare genomes declined. I have fewer matches on FTDNA but at least I can compare them in the chromosome browser.

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied
    Originally posted by E19463 View Post
    So does this mean that if someone is looking for relatives (an adoptee for example), he would be better off with 23andMe due to their larger database?
    An adoptee would have the best chance of success by testing with all of the big companies.

Leave a comment:

• Parameswara
    replied
    Originally posted by E19463 View Post
    It is written that there are only about 140,000 people in FTDNAs database but over 900,000 in 23andMe, see link
    http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_...mparison_chart and attachment below.

Until now I thought that FTDNA is much bigger than the competitors. Was I wrong?
    That's Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart. DNA testing is not just autosomal. That 140,000 is the number of people who get autosomal test in FTDNA.

I had thought it was more than that. What is the banner on the FTDNA home page referring to by "we have 720,505 records - the largest DNA ancestry database in the world!"
    Discover your DNA story and unlock the secrets of your ancestry and genealogy with our Autosomal DNA, YDNA and mtDNA tests!

I thought this was how many people have tested with them, but it must mean something else.
    Well, my relatives KIT number is 414348. So at least there are more 400,000 people who ordered KIT from FTDNA. Then don't forget people who get test from Genographic Project and some affiliated companies like African DNA, DNA Ancestry and Family Origin, DNA World Wide, and iGenea. Many people ordered more than 1 test (Autosomal, Y-STR&SNP, mtDNA, Big Y). So the number 720,505 records really make sense.

The largest autosomal database maybe 23andme (and maybe soon AncestryDNA become the largest). But, Y-STR&SNP and mtDNA database, obviously FTDNA is number one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X