Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only 140,000 people in FTDNAs database?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by nicolam View Post
    The problem is that matches have to be invited to compare genomes, if they either ignore your invitation or decline it you can't see them in the browser. Over half my matches are an anonymous, nameless icon and all I can see is whether they are male/female, the haplogroup and the percentage of dna shared, but not where.
    Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
    I have tested autosomal at FTDNA (8/2011 results), AncestryDNA (9/2012 results) and 23andMe (2/2015 results).

    But so far 23andMe is a great big disappointment. The return message rate is is about 5%.
    It is because of having to request the sharing of genomes and getting a very low response rate that the 900,000 at 23andme is not the same thing as 140,000 people with an autosomal test at FTDNA. It's apples and oranges as I have said previously.

    The Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart also has a comparison of Average responsiveness of matches. http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_...mparison_chart
    Last edited by Armando; 26th April 2015, 06:36 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      720.505 records

      See details here:
      https://www.familytreedna.com/why-ftdna.aspx

      "About The Family Tree DNA Database

      Our database is the largest in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of May 1, 2015, the Family Tree DNA database has 720,505 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East. We also have:
      8,187 SURNAME PROJECTS
      370,820 unique surnames
      525,827 Y-DNA records in the database
      215,797 25-marker records in the database
      195,358 37-marker records in the database
      96,215 67-marker records in the database
      194,678 mtDNA records in the database
      51,578 FGS records in the database"

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Petra View Post
        See details here:
        https://www.familytreedna.com/why-ftdna.aspx

        "About The Family Tree DNA Database

        Our database is the largest in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of May 1, 2015, the Family Tree DNA database has 720,505 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East. We also have:
        8,187 SURNAME PROJECTS
        370,820 unique surnames
        525,827 Y-DNA records in the database
        215,797 25-marker records in the database
        195,358 37-marker records in the database
        96,215 67-marker records in the database
        194,678 mtDNA records in the database
        51,578 FGS records in the database"
        Thank you for the link and the numbers. It's a long way till everybody is tested, isn't it?

        Comment


        • #19
          Y testing

          interesting, thanks for the link

          Today it indicates that 150,409 men have taken the Y 67 marker test and 289,776 37-marker records are in the database.

          this indicates that about 2,000 men per month have been opting for the 67-marker test , as the samples in the database have grown by 56,000 in tha last 28 months.

          Comment


          • #20
            500,000 NOT 140,000

            The number of people in the FF database, according to the ISOGG chart in the original poster's link, was 500,000 as at 1 May 2017. The attachment in the original post showed the number of people in the FF database as 140,000 at 12 April 2015.
            I currently have 1973 FF matches. I was a little startled to think I matched 1.4% of the database

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Fern View Post
              The number of people in the FF database, according to the ISOGG chart in the original poster's link, was 500,000 as at 1 May 2017. The attachment in the original post showed the number of people in the FF database as 140,000 at 12 April 2015.
              I currently have 1973 FF matches. I was a little startled to think I matched 1.4% of the database
              The total includes those who originally tested at AncestryDNA or 23andMe and uploaded their results into FTDNA's database. Anyone who's done this has a kit number with the "B" prefix.

              I see a lot of people joining the Sicily Project, of which I'm administrator, by uploading from the other two companies. I can tell by their kit number. The highest "B" kit number I've seen is B226598. This tells me that over 200,000 people, maybe close to 250,000 people, in the FTDNA autosomal database have uploaded results from AncestryDNA or 23andMe.

              I think it's probably a good estimate that 200,000-250,000 people have tested Family Finder directly at FTDNA and not uploaded autosomal results from another company. Adding the estimates for the uploads and direct Family Finder test results, it seems like about 500,000 is a fair estimate for the size of FTDNA's autosomal database. However, about half of those are uploaded results from other companies.
              Last edited by MMaddi; 18th August 2017, 11:03 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MMaddi View Post

                ...I think it's probably a good estimate that 200,000-250,000 people have tested Family Finder directly at FTDNA and not uploaded autosomal results from another company. Adding the estimates for the uploads and direct Family Finder test results, it seems like about 500,000 is a fair estimate for the size of FTDNA's autosomal database....


                According to ISOGG's autosomal comparison chart, FTDNA had approximately 500,000 names in it's autosomal database as of may 1st. By now, it should be fairly close to 1,000,000.


                https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA...mparison_chart

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Frank Kelch View Post
                  According to ISOGG's autosomal comparison chart, FTDNA had approximately 500,000 names in it's autosomal database as of may 1st. By now, it should be fairly close to 1,000,000.


                  https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA...mparison_chart
                  You're estimating that FTDNA has gone from 500,000 to 1,000,000 autosomal results since May 1? That sounds like an awfully quick rate of increase. I think that 600,000 or at most 700,000 is probably more accurate.

                  But then we're both just guesstimating, since FTDNA has never given an official number of autosomal results in their database.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    You're estimating that FTDNA has gone from 500,000 to 1,000,000 autosomal results since May 1? That sounds like an awfully quick rate of increase. I think that 600,000 or at most 700,000 is probably more accurate...
                    Well, Ancestry has went from 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 in the last few months... With FTDNA now accepting transfers, it's likely that they've added at least a few hundred thousand customers since may 1st.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Frank Kelch View Post
                      Well, Ancestry has went from 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 in the last few months... With FTDNA now accepting transfers, it's likely that they've added at least a few hundred thousand customers since may 1st.
                      I think you're overestimating how well-known FTDNA is outside of people who are genealogists and looking for a company that does DNA testing.

                      If you watch TV with any regularity, you'll see an AncestryDNA commercial a few times a week. 23andMe does advertise on TV, but not nearly as much as AncestryDNA. So, I ask you - when have you ever seen an FTDNA commercial on TV? I can tell you that I never have.

                      With all the TV advertising that AncestryDNA has, they are getting a lot of customers who aren't genealogists and are attracted to the idea of finding out their ethnicity estimate. That's the sole content of AncestryDNA commercials - find out where your ancestors came from hundreds of years ago. (To quote one of their more silly commercials: "I had to trade in my lederhosen for a kilt.") There is no mention of finding cousins in the database, breaking down brick walls or helping adoptees find biological parents or close biological relatives.

                      To put it bluntly, AncestryDNA is going for the low-hanging fruit (people just curious about their ethnic make-up) and that's why they've been able to grow their database so quickly. This is evident by the lack of family trees that your matches at AncestryDNA have. I know this because I tested at AncestryDNA.

                      I wish that FTDNA's database was larger, as you believe, but based on what I've written above I think you're overestimating its size. Of course, FTDNA could put an end to speculation if they would publicly give the size of their autosomal database, as they have with yDNA and mtDNA, but they've never done that.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        For database size on the "Why FTDNA" page they say:

                        "Our databases are the most comprehensive in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of August 25, 2017, the Family Tree DNA database has 901,966 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East."

                        I take that to mean their autosomal database as they also give numbers for their other databases.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
                          For database size on the "Why FTDNA" page they say:

                          "Our databases are the most comprehensive in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of August 25, 2017, the Family Tree DNA database has 901,966 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East."

                          I take that to mean their autosomal database as they also give numbers for their other databases.
                          Here's additional information from the page - https://www.familytreedna.com/why-ftdna.aspx - you're quoting:

                          630,315 Y-DNA records in the database
                          312,214 25-marker records in the database
                          290,738 37-marker records in the database
                          150,951 67-marker records in the database
                          271,651 mtDNA records in the database

                          Adding the yDNA and mtDNA numbers (630,315 and 271,651) together gives a total of 901,966. And that's exactly the number you quoted for their entire database.

                          I don't think this is a coincidence. The total they give is for yDNA and mtDNA results and doesn't include Family Finder autosomal results. This is why ISOGG only has an estimate for the size of FTDNA's autosomal database. The company has never issued a public count for that part of their database.

                          I wish that your and Frank Kelch's estimate that FTDNA has 1 million people in their autosomal database is correct. I've been a customer of FTDNA since 2005 and an administrator of two large projects, so I want to FTDNA to grow. But all the information that's public says to me that FTDNA doesn't have 1 million people in its autosomal database.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MMaddi View Post



                            ...I wish that your and Frank Kelch's estimate that FTDNA has 1 million people in their autosomal database is correct. I've been a customer of FTDNA since 2005 and an administrator of two large projects, so I want to FTDNA to grow. But all the information that's public says to me that FTDNA doesn't have 1 million people in its autosomal database.
                            I believe I said that by now, they should be "fairly close to a million" people in the autosomal database. If I had to be more precise, I'd guess at slightly more than 800,000.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              YDNA 12 MATCHES

                              Matches Y12 The Entire Data Base, GD of 0 & 1, 733 matches
                              GD Diff. 50% 50% 1. Many FF Data about 40%, many hidden details about 15% conclude data base of 733 inclusive FF

                              ME tested y111, no matches except 3 a ty25 gd 2 waiting for FTDNA to break down brick wall ??? DSY 439 + 14


                              BEST WISHES JIM

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                                The total includes those who originally tested at AncestryDNA or 23andMe and uploaded their results into FTDNA's database. Anyone who's done this has a kit number with the "B" prefix.

                                I see a lot of people joining the Sicily Project, of which I'm administrator, by uploading from the other two companies. I can tell by their kit number. The highest "B" kit number I've seen is B226598. This tells me that over 200,000 people, maybe close to 250,000 people, in the FTDNA autosomal database have uploaded results from AncestryDNA or 23andMe.

                                I think it's probably a good estimate that 200,000-250,000 people have tested Family Finder directly at FTDNA and not uploaded autosomal results from another company. Adding the estimates for the uploads and direct Family Finder test results, it seems like about 500,000 is a fair estimate for the size of FTDNA's autosomal database. However, about half of those are uploaded results from other companies.
                                Mike, I tend to see it differently. I dont think 50% are transfers.

                                On the Chromosome Browser, there is a Hide 3rd Party Matches checkbox. When I do that, my matches shrink from 3034 to 2718, which is almost exactly (pardon the oxymoron) 10%.

                                Another person (my 5th/6th cousin) went from 3073 to 2706. about 12%

                                An Ashkenazi person went from 12531 to 11175. About 7%.

                                So based upon 3 examples, I would say maybe 10% of the FF database are transfers.

                                I realize I just did the decrease and I should be talking about increases, but the main idea remains the same.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X