Gedmatch Questions - wanting some clarification if one would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedmatch Questions - wanting some clarification if one would

Okay it's probably being mentioned somewhere, however, I am wondering a number of things about Gedmatch.

1) Does it (the engines) use only maternal DNA to trace your lineage only. Does it somehow use paternal?

The reason why I ask is because my father's side [paper trail] has French in it yet comparing myself to my sister if I am to remove my "details" [which should come from my mother] there is no French connected with my father's side of the family.
    E.g. My sister & I both say 28 / 29 roughly for French. Minus mine / which should be my mother's X from hers = no French.

2) Does anyone know where the reference populations are located? Are they actually from let's say Germany or are they merely North Americans / UKers self identifying as German.

The reason why I ask is because a few engines use CEU which, unless I am misunderstanding, is the dub given to people from Utah of Northern and Western European bloodline (which I am taking it are Mormons).

3) With respect to the % - e.g. English @ 2.3 - how would one translate that into generations back?

Gedmatch does not have upload functions for either Y-DNA or mtDNA. It uses autosomal DNA and therefore represents the portions of DNA inherited from all ancestral lines.

Comment

Originally posted by James78 View Post
      Okay it's probably being mentioned somewhere, however, I am wondering a number of things about Gedmatch.

1) Does it (the engines) use only maternal DNA to trace your lineage only. Does it somehow use paternal?

The reason why I ask is because my father's side [paper trail] has French in it yet comparing myself to my sister if I am to remove my "details" [which should come from my mother] there is no French connected with my father's side of the family.
      E.g. My sister & I both say 28 / 29 roughly for French. Minus mine / which should be my mother's X from hers = no French.
      I'm not sure what you mean by any of this - there's no way to display admixture results on only maternal or paternal sides.

2) Does anyone know where the reference populations are located? Are they actually from let's say Germany or are they merely North Americans / UKers self identifying as German.
      I believe they are generally from people who say all four of their grandparents were born in the same region/country.

3) With respect to the % - e.g. English @ 2.3 - how would one translate that into generations back?
      It's not really possible to calculate that since ethnicity is inherited randomly or you could have more than one branch with that ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
        I'm not sure what you mean by any of this - there's no way to display admixture results on only maternal or paternal sides.

Unless you are able to phase your results and use your paternal or maternal file(Requires at least one tested parent)

Comment

Thanks for the responses & this is so embarrassing.

My sister whom has not a lick of genetic sense to her decided what better way to Fk with me than wait until I was in the washroom and start asking "questions".

I have known this about gedmatch since I joined well... roughly 3 years ago.

So again thanks again for the responses... no more are needed.

Comment

Working...
          X