Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Titanic

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Titanic

    One hundred years ago, the ship that had been called ‘virtually unsinkable’ struck an iceberg and sank within three hours, taking many of her passengers and crew with her.

    Why did it sink? Arrogance is one reason. A few academics said it could not sink and did they get it wrong. 1500 people went to the bottom of the ocean because they listened to the educated.

  • #2
    ??????????

    Comment


    • #3
      And the connection to FTDNA is ??????

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LynCra View Post
        And the connection to FTDNA is ??????
        This is the "Recreation Room".

        Comment


        • #5
          So you propose to listen to uneducated ones ? ? ?

          Or I missed your point...

          W. (Mr.)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 1798 View Post
            This is the "Recreation Room".
            Sorry, did not see that before I read your post. Don´t think I have been in the Recreation room before. Probably won´t be droppimg in again either.

            Good luck with your Titanic discussions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dna View Post
              So you propose to listen to uneducated ones ? ? ?

              Or I missed your point...

              W. (Mr.)
              Listen to your inner self always.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                One hundred years ago, the ship that had been called ‘virtually unsinkable’ struck an iceberg and sank within three hours, taking many of her passengers and crew with her.

                Why did it sink? Arrogance is one reason. A few academics said it could not sink and did they get it wrong. 1500 people went to the bottom of the ocean because they listened to the educated.
                Are you sure it was academics that stated it was unsinkable?

                Which academics state that the ship was unsinkable?

                Please provide citations clearly identifying the academics in question, and what was stated.
                Last edited by N21163; 23 April 2015, 04:32 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                  One hundred years ago, the ship that had been called ‘virtually unsinkable’ struck an iceberg and sank within three hours, taking many of her passengers and crew with her.

                  Why did it sink? Arrogance is one reason. A few academics said it could not sink and did they get it wrong. 1500 people went to the bottom of the ocean because they listened to the educated.
                  Is your lesson for us today never to listen to what those who are educated tell us? If so, you seem to be the master of following that principle!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So sad that Ciaran wasn't around to keep it from sinking.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by N21163 View Post
                      Are you sure it was academics that stated it was unsinkable?

                      Which academics state that the ship was unsinkable?

                      Please provide citations clearly identifying the academics in question, and what was stated.
                      The captain and the engineer were educated people or not. Were they morons? Sailing at full speed into an area full of ice bergs. I would think that even the people clinging on to the sides of the ship as it was going down thought that the ship was unsinkable. It was the mindset. They believed what they were told so there was no hope for them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PNGarrison View Post
                        So sad that Ciaran wasn't around to keep it from sinking.
                        I would not be a passenger. Always expect the unexpected and be prepared.There is no such thing as a sure thing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can recommend the book "The Unthinkable," by Amanda Ripley, if you want to read about how people think and behave during a disaster, and why some are prepared while others aren't. The tag line is "who survives when disaster strikes - and why." It is a fascinating read.

                          I am not connected with the author or publisher in any way.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                            Is your lesson for us today never to listen to what those who are educated tell us? If so, you seem to be the master of following that principle!


                            WOW

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My best friend's grandfather and great grandfather/grandmother were aboard the Titanic and survived; he is in the FTDNA database (Y-DNA and FF) so there is a tenuous connection. My friend's great grandfather eventually committed suicide due to emotional health issues resulting from the sinking. He wrote a pretty chilling account of his experience.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X