X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schnook
    replied
    Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    "The Wellcome Trust-funded study, which is part of the People of the British Isles Research Project, also found that people in the north of England are genetically more similar to people in Scotland than they are to those in the south of England."
    It make sense considering how close the north of England is to Scotland.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by schnook View Post
    Haha yes that's me. Well, technically my father but I manage the kit. Why?
    "The Wellcome Trust-funded study, which is part of the People of the British Isles Research Project, also found that people in the north of England are genetically more similar to people in Scotland than they are to those in the south of England."

Leave a comment:

• schnook
    replied
    Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    @schnook

Are you not the poster with the rare Y haplotype?

Haha yes that's me. Well, technically my father but I manage the kit. Why?

Leave a comment:

replied
    DNA study shows Celts are not a unique genetic group

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31905764

"According to the data, those of Celtic ancestry in Scotland and Cornwall are more similar to the English than they are to other Celtic groups.

The study also describes distinct genetic differences across the UK, which reflect regional identities.

And it shows that the invading Anglo Saxons did not wipe out the Britons of 1,500 years ago, but mixed with them."

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by schnook View Post
    Very interesting stuff! I was born and raised in Ireland myself, but I've traced Anglo-Saxon roots on my paternal side. Not sure about maternal, everything comes up Irish so I'm sure somebody in my family was chillin' with Paddy.
    @schnook

Are you not the poster with the rare Y haplotype?

Leave a comment:

• schnook
    replied
    Very interesting stuff! I was born and raised in Ireland myself, but I've traced Anglo-Saxon roots on my paternal side. Not sure about maternal, everything comes up Irish so I'm sure somebody in my family was chillin' with Paddy.

Leave a comment:

replied
    In that same article the author writes;
    Ireland would have had the European bear, wolf, fox, hare, etc.,” he continues. “And it appears that the Mesolithic communities may have brought wild boar with them from Britain or Europe by boat; that is, they were part of a ‘transported landscape’.”

These animals arrived in Ireland by land bridge and the same goes for the Mesolithic people.I don't believe that the Mesolithic people brought wild boar in boats.

Leave a comment:

replied
    "In other words, today’s Irish people are largely descended directly from the Neolithic populations of the island. And some can trace their genes back even to the Irish Mesolithic. If you have a bit of Irish in your blood, you likely have ancestors who were building those massive stone tombs, clearing the forests, and who eventually may have listened to the voice of St. Patrick."

Leave a comment:

• PNGarrison
    started a topic Ireland Before St. Patrick - Natl Geo

Ireland Before St. Patrick - Natl Geo

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com...nt&sf8037268=1
Working...
X